Old 03-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
Not sure who this "chad" person is you are referring to but,

Yes, i have done food distribution and became a dispatcher at that company.

So yes, i know all about food distribution.
Grocery or food service.

There is a difference

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 03-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Board Regular

food service.

So, my thoughts on food distribution are as follows:

1) Unless you are grossing at least $1500 per week, it's not worth it.
If you are grossing between $1250 and $1499 AND you are home on the weekends and/or one day per week, then it might be worth it.

2) If you need a job desperately NOW, that pay ok, then it might be a good move.

3) Any gig where you have ladders and liftgates on the trailer is NO GOOD. Trust me.

4) Most food distributor companes suck because they refuse or do not utilize such good technology such as:
a) Low deck trailer. These will eliminate the lifgate which is time-consuming and often troublesome requiring constant mainenance. With low deck, you just plop out the ramp and you're set for the whole stop.

b) customized mini-pallets where all you do is scoop up the pallet with a specialized hand cart----no more stacking. Much quicker and easier this way.

c) any company that would utilize a condo sleeper when trying to deliver to a small restaurant is stupid.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Rookie

We (Mclane) use a Ramp and three side doors. The trailer isnt really a low deck but it still works...just a more extreme angle. I just figured out my gross to 1620 a week, so I guess foodservice was worth it for me then. I actually like the job...keeps you on the go. If I weren't moving to Nashville I'd probably stay for many more years.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Rookie

I worked for PFG out of the Elkton, Md Location for 3 Years. It is very back breaking work, very thankless ,routed by an idiot. They expect you to lie on your log books when you get back late so you can make your next dispatch time. If you dont they will make your life there a living hell. You drive in circles all day and deal with managers from places like Ruby Tuesday and Outback that are usually high school dropouts that are never there on time. Driver turnover rate is the worst I have ever seen anywhere. Be careful dealing with this company. They will try to blacklist you to future employers.