User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Actually, I have a college degree Snowman7. I was going to be a high school history teacher. I started working part time at UPS while I was in college and realized I liked it better than teaching. If I ever lost my driving job I would go back to teaching and get my masters degree in administration.

A lot of drivers have college degrees, because many of us started working at UPS while we were in college. Sorry to destroy your opinion of the dumb lazy union guys. I guess I wouldn't be "nothing" without UPS as you said.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown67
Actually, I have a college degree Snowman7. I was going to be a high school history teacher. I started working part time at UPS while I was in college and realized I liked it better than teaching. If I ever lost my driving job I would go back to teaching and get my masters degree in administration.

A lot of drivers have college degrees, because many of us started working at UPS while we were in college. Sorry to destroy your opinion of the dumb lazy union guys.
Who said you were dumb or lazy? You were smart to not go into teaching. My brother is a history teacher. You just proved my point though, you would go into teaching instead of a driving job elsewhere. Why? Because there are very few good driving jobs left I assume. And it would take you years to get back to the pay level you enjoy now. Unless your in math or science teaching jobs are hard to get, schools dont have any money.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
LTL is only slightly better.
What are you smoking? LTL is like night and day over OTR. Jeez, I did 3 years pulling vans/reefer and the pay/bennies/hometime ain't even in the same ballpark - not by a long shot.

Like Brown67, I have a 4-year degree as well. Did the corporate gig for 3 years at RPS/FedEx Ground after 4 years of logistics work in the Air Force. Trouble is I have this slight personal flaw where I feel the need to tell the truth. So corporate America didn't work out for me. Ditto for OTR on that score.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:

A lot of drivers have college degrees, because many of us started working at UPS while we were in college. Sorry to destroy your opinion of the dumb lazy union guys.
Who said you were dumb or lazy? You were smart to not go into teaching. My brother is a history teacher. You just proved my point though, you would go into teaching instead of a driving job elsewhere. Why? Because there are very few good driving jobs left I assume. And it would take you years to get back to the pay level you enjoy now. Unless your in math or science teaching jobs are hard to get, schools dont have any money.
I live very close to the Wyoming border and they are begging for teachers, so I don't think it would be hard to find a teaching job. I wouldn't want to stay in teacher though. I would move into administration.

If I have a CDL I would look at other union LTL companies first. The teaching option is what I would do now if I lost my job. I really enjoy the freedom of driving. The problem with the non-union side of trucking is the movement toward hiring cheap labor from south of the border. I live in Colorado and so many good construction jobs have been lost to illegal immigration. Concrete, framing, siding, landscaping, painting, and plumbing. 90% of these jobs are done by illegal immigrants. Now, the trucking industry appears to be moving in that direction too. Export good jobs overseas and import cheap labor from across the border. Only we lose.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
LTL is only slightly better.
What are you smoking? LTL is like night and day over OTR. Jeez, I did 3 years pulling vans/reefer and the pay/bennies/hometime ain't even in the same ballpark - not by a long shot.

Like Brown67, I have a 4-year degree as well. Did the corporate gig for 3 years at RPS/FedEx Ground after 4 years of logistics work in the Air Force. Trouble is I have this slight personal flaw where I feel the need to tell the truth. So corporate America didn't work out for me. Ditto for OTR on that score.
Yeah your right, I have a pretty good job that most drivers would love to have, but in the eyes of a "package car driver" I guess I'm still just a red headed step child. BTW I spent 17 years wearing a tie in corporate America and I also told them to stick it up their azz. It took me a while to get here but I actually like my job AND I like the fact that UPS bought us. I'm just trying to stop the bashing of drivers by other drivers. Its bad enough the industry craps on them.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 AM
Board Regular

Sorry the red headed step child crack offended you. It wasn't meant at you personally. It was meant to illustrate how UPS is treating UPS Freight. We should be equal in pay and benefits. We want you guys to have all the benefits we do and we know that UPS won't give them to you unless you unionize. In fact, you should be making more than me since I don't have a CDL.

I'm not bashing you; I'm trying to show you how much better you can do. Why should you make less than me? You have the CDL. We work for the same company, but you get less pay and fewer benefits. What kind of sense does that make?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Sorry the red headed step child crack offended you. It wasn't meant at you personally. It was meant to illustrate how UPS is treating UPS Freight. We should be equal in pay and benefits. We want you guys to have all the benefits we do and we know that UPS won't give them to you unless you unionize. In fact, you should be making more than me since I don't have a CDL.

I'm not bashing you I'm trying to show you how much better you can do. Why should you make less than me? You have the CDL. We work for the same company, but you get less pay and fewer benefits. What kind of sense does that make.[/b]
Believe it or not I already know all this. My goal from day one of driving school was a union LTL job. I quit a good job to drive a truck. But its been very hard getting here. Now that I'm here UPS buying us is just the icing on the cake. But alot of drivers dont even know the opportunities available to them. I'm a realist, they arent going to change this business but they can learn to seek out the best parts that still remain. And I still say there are guys who were made for OTR and they love it, and I say good for them, life is about finding what makes you happy. Apology accepted and I also apologize to you.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 AM
Board Regular

Is this where we kiss and make up?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Is this where we kiss and make up?
ummm, I dont think so. but I will say your job appears much harder than mine and you desrve what you make.