User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Con- Way or TMC, help a newbie out

Well here is my situation I am approved for TMC and yesterday I got a call from Con-Way to take a road test today, witch went fine. Going OTR is something I would like to do, While I am only 30 years old and not married yet. "Do have a Fiance" I think I would have more pride in driving with TMC, but Con-Way seems to have good pay and benefits. I know there are pros and cons to both. Just want to know witch one will help me out down the road with my driving career. Just looking for some help Thanks Trev
Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Board Regular

well as far as tmc is concerned, i dont know if you have read the TMC thread but it has a ton of good info on the company. i have been here for over a year and a half and i like it. now is the conway job ltl or truckload? ltl will be lots of stops and loading and unloading each day but real good pay. not to sure about the truckload stuff but should still be pretty good pay. if you want to be home with the fiance and make some decent money ltl may be the way to go. but something like 40-60% of longhaul drivers dont make it. i suppose work scares them off. i read that in one of the ltl forums yesterday.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Hey Chef Trev. I just got out of NETTTS myself on 2/16. {checked out your other posts} I,ve run into the same thing trying to find local work here in N.H. Unless you have some time in no one wants to talk to you.I,m trying for us express right now. They seem to have one of the lowest driver negetivity ratings on this site. I,ve got good feedback here to as far as them being a good first company. Also seen lots of good stuff on TMC. Lots of good advice and smart folks on this site. Wish I could be more helpful to you but I,m in pretty much the same spot you are. Whoever you choose do your best to stick it out for the first year and keep your nose clean and you should be able to go where you want,not where you have to. That,s more or less my plan.I wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Rookie

It is LTL job out of Shrewsbury MA, the pay is hourly and will probably be third shift to start and running to and from Springfield MA. I need to know roughly what a TMC driver can expect to make once they are in there own truck and with a 27-29% income per week. I know weather can fudge up your income , but just on the average how much. They say 4000 for the truck and that is 1080-1160 a week, that seems real good money, is this attainable? The Con Way job start off at 18.45 per hour, and I might only get 30 hours, that's only 553.50 a week and to get to 1080 that is 58.5 hours per week and I am not going to get that any time soon being new. Please give me your point of view of what you would do. Thanks Trev [/quote]
Old 03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTrev
It is LTL job out of Shrewsbury MA, the pay is hourly and will probably be third shift to start and running to and from Springfield MA. I need to know roughly what a TMC driver can expect to make once they are in there own truck and with a 27-29% income per week. I know weather can fudge up your income , but just on the average how much. They say 4000 for the truck and that is 1080-1160 a week, that seems real good money, is this attainable? The Con Way job start off at 18.45 per hour, and I might only get 30 hours, that's only 553.50 a week and to get to 1080 that is 58.5 hours per week and I am not going to get that any time soon being new. Please give me your point of view of what you would do. Thanks Trev
[/quote]

the money your talking about is atainable if you stay out of the NE. i have been running tx to ca about once a week lately and getting 4300-4800 to the truck per week. i know that we have some dedicated accounts up in the NE and that would get you home fairly often and make decent money. flatbed_fred is the guy to talk to about the NE accounts. he live in NYC and is pretty much the go-to guy for that area. you will find his email and phone number on the TMC thread.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:13 PM

If you go with Conway, you will probably start out on third shift linehaul. You will drive a set of doubles to another terminal and then work the dock until all the trucks are done. Trucks come in from all over and the drivers do the loading and unloading. Then you hook your set up and drive back to your terminal. Personally, I hated it. More dockwork than driving.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

My .02 go with TMC. Better pay, nice equipment, more road exp. @ better drive times. Unless you like driveing @ 3 am :?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Con-Way

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Con- Way or TMC, help a newbie out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTrev
Well here is my situation I am approved for TMC and yesterday I got a call from Con-Way to take a road test today, witch went fine. Going OTR is something I would like to do, While I am only 30 years old and not married yet. "Do have a Fiance" I think I would have more pride in driving with TMC, but Con-Way seems to have good pay and benefits. I know there are pros and cons to both. Just want to know witch one will help me out down the road with my driving career. Just looking for some help Thanks Trev
I drive for TMC and if I can answer any questions you may have, call me anytime at the number below.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Conway. Short term the hours might now be there. But long term is where you will benefit. Not to mention you'll be home every night and not on the road all week.