User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman
I work for Swift and started with them soley for the experience so I can get a local driving job. I didn't expect good pay or to really be anything more than a cog in the machine. my expectations were met on all levels.
there are some nice people at Swift, and they emphasize safety. despite some aggravations i'm glad I went with them. but I won't be with them in a year.
I plan on doing the same thing. Get the CDL...Get the experience...Get another job.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:24 AM
Board Regular

i think jim and fatman got the right idea.i had a fast swift truck so i never took a vacation .after 2 1/2 years in that truck 27 days a month i decided to quit right away with no notice.i could not go another week.i started hauling sawdust 3 days later.same pay home every day.i should have quit this job years ago and done the ltl like frosty mug says
Old 02-08-2007, 04:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
i think jim and fatman got the right idea.i had a fast swift truck so i never took a vacation .after 2 1/2 years in that truck 27 days a month i decided to quit right away with no notice.i could not go another week.i started hauling sawdust 3 days later.same pay home every day.i should have quit this job years ago and done the ltl like frosty mug says
I guess LTL is ok for some folks. The trash truck drivers here are making just under $25 an hour. And cab drivers are making just as much as what the LTL drivers are posting. $20 an hour isn't that great, but if you want to be home every day I suppose it's worth it. Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure everyone has different motives for why they choose this business. Depending on how close someone is to a metro area there's alot more money to be made other than driving trucks. I have a military pension and single so the money doesn't really motivate me. I'd be happy if I can find a somewhat driver friendly company to work for in the future. For now, just want to get the CDL, experience, and see where this trucking idea takes me.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Board Regular

those cab drivers can catch a bullet in the brain no thanx.my friend quit our company 3 times.he always gave two weeks notice so was rehired each time.he worked for swift two months and quit the first time they lied. he has been driving for interstate dist over a year now and is real happy.no lie yet.he e-mailed last night and said he picked up at bend ore going to south carolina and goes 68 mph most of the way.he likes that company and they give him good long runs.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:54 AM

I can certainly see the appeal in OTR if you're single. It's not a bad life; I like driving, I like my bunk, I get to see pretty places and I enjoy the thinking time. Truckers really are the salt of the earth for the most part. Sure, there's an asshole here and there but i've met wonderful people for the most part.
but I got 2 young kids (2 & 3) and seeing them grow up is my top prority and joy in life. and life is really all about priorities.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Board Regular

i hope you got that local job fatman.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman
I can certainly see the appeal in OTR if you're single. It's not a bad life; I like driving, I like my bunk, I get to see pretty places and I enjoy the thinking time. Truckers really are the salt of the earth for the most part. Sure, there's an asshole here and there but i've met wonderful people for the most part.
but I got 2 young kids (2 & 3) and seeing them grow up is my top prority and joy in life. and life is really all about priorities.
Boy! You can say THAT again. I was standing in line at a Pilot, waiting to send a fax. There's a few people in front of me and I notice the guy right in front of me in line is taking staples out of a couple of pieces of paper with his fancy knife. Line's moving kinda slow, so I start up a small-talk conversation just to pass the time. "Going to send a fax?" I ask. His reply? "None of your F***ING business. And why are you standing NEXT to me when the line is BEHIND me? You some kind of F***ing queer?" First of all, there was no room to stand behind him due to displays on the floor. Second, if only KNEW how seriously his welfare was in danger, he would have kept his mouth zipped. He was jacking with over 20 years of pent-up bullshit just waiting for the right trigger. I gave him the opportunity to take it to another level, but, he just walked on up to the counter. Just as well, I guess. Didn't really need to be delayed by coroner's questions. :x
Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
i hope you got that local job fatman.
Thanks man! Best to you and yours as well.

As to that asshole at the fax counter, I think I would have been more shocked than anything. After that I would have just felt pity. That must be one miserable human being.