User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

ive been with roehl for a year and i have no problems with my dsr. we get along great and i get miles. i cant say much about the school at roehl i took mine in michigan, but i sure its like the other schools out there. i still see both my trainers and i called them when i got my truck and was on my own. dont worry about a thing you will be fine.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Soladad, ANYONE who posts things to message boards he or she would not say to them face to face is part of the problem, not the solution.

I could go on about this, but I'd rather post this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXR1i267Fg

(quote)
"The internet can be a prety scary place if you're not prepared"

"How would you PREPARE for it?!"

"I don't know, maybe go to your local middle school chess club, hand out crystal meth and hand guns?"
That video was great! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Rookie

hey guys, I start at roehl on the 26th. I'm going to the flatbed division, out of Gary. I need to take home 500 per week after training. Is this realistic? :?:
Old 02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Default Roehl'.. hum.. To'. Bad

Sounds like a... company slowly going ..bad! Roco
:roll:
Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
RDTC is Roeh Driver Training Course.

I would recomend that you go to an independant driving school over ANY company school. I suggest you search on driving schools and find out what experienced drivers think regarding "company schools" vs. independants before going to a company school, especially if the company is "financeing" your training (this equals you being an indentured servant/slave to the company untill your training is "paid off").

If you absolutely MUST go to work for Roehl, go flatbed NOT VAN. flatbed is run out of Marshfield, and generally the Marshfield dispatch was the best in the company. I used to get them when my Gary dispatch was missig in action, and everything would go right untill the Gary dispatch came back on line...
Why would someone be an "indentured servant/slave" until the training is paid off? No company can force anyone to stay with them for any reason. The "indentured servant" theory is for suckers that don't know any better. I think some get confused thinking that company training is "free training". Whether company or independent school, the training isn't free, it will be paid for, one way or another. But, a company can't force anyone to stay because they have a balance on schooling costs. All they can do is expect payment for the remaining balance, which any independent school or financing company will also do. If someone doesn't like the company, pay up and move on. But, there's no reason to be a servant or slave, as some believe. What it really boils down to is understanding the game and having a plan if things don't go as planned.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Why would someone be an "indentured servant/slave" until the training is paid off? No company can force anyone to stay with them for any reason. The "indentured servant" theory is for suckers that don't know any better.
Until a few years ago, Roehl driver training required you to sign an agreement to work for the company for a minimum period (2 years, as I recall). That's gone now- Instead, if you leave, you owe the company for the training they gave you and they charge you 21% interest on your debt. No, they can't force you to stay- But if you took the companies training without paying cash up front and leave before the 2 years it takes for them to pay themselves back at around $100.00/month (their "tuition reimbursement" rate), they'll make some serious cash off of you. Since 2/3 of all new drivers fresh out of driving school aren't driving over the road by the end of their first year, they stand to make some good money off of all those drivers, don't they now. Roehl's turnover rate is over 120%/year last time I checked. Still better than England, but nothing to brag about.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Why would someone be an "indentured servant/slave" until the training is paid off? No company can force anyone to stay with them for any reason. The "indentured servant" theory is for suckers that don't know any better.
Until a few years ago, Roehl driver training required you to sign an agreement to work for the company for a minimum period (2 years, as I recall). That's gone now- Instead, if you leave, you owe the company for the training they gave you and they charge you 21% interest on your debt. No, they can't force you to stay- But if you took the companies training without paying cash up front and leave before the 2 years it takes for them to pay themselves back at around $100.00/month (their "tuition reimbursement" rate), they'll make some serious cash off of you. Since 2/3 of all new drivers fresh out of driving school aren't driving over the road by the end of their first year, they stand to make some good money off of all those drivers, don't they now. Roehl's turnover rate is over 120%/year last time I checked. Still better than England, but nothing to brag about.

Where are you finding that Roehl's turnover is 120% ?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth

Where are you finding that Roehl's turnover is 120% ?
That figure came from a longterm Roehl company driver/trainer who set me straight when I told him that the recruiter had told me it was around 80%. He also told me a few things about how long it had been since some other figures the company litterature bandied about had been correct. He wasn't bitter or quitting, but he knew his home office people and knew the truth, and he didn't think it was righ to tell recruits figures that had ONCE been true but were not currently.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
Well Prodigy.. all I can say is that I am glad that you have moved on and found a company that can put up with your BS. Don't need your attitude here at Roehl.

Soladad
I have a bad attitude because I disagree with you? :roll:

Have you been to roehldriver.com lately? Drivers leaving them right and left. I've met 4 guys who used to drive for them at Crete :lol:

Sounds like you're a "company man".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
$29,700 your first year ? wow , I made 43k my first year there OTR and well over 30k doing the 7on 7off . I didn't suck up or kiss ass either , it's called courtesy and delivering on time .
And you know I had loads that were late how? Another useless attack. Keep driving your lil company truck :lol: