LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe
Share information not insults.
I agree. That is the main point of the board. Many drivers have gone to orientation just to walk out when they find out they were lied too.

If I was in his shoes, I would too.

I know it seems like just drivers bagging on a company. But we all have to stick together, or we can all lose. you know these companies are just waiting for the time when they can bring back that .19 cpm wage, and go over the border to get the drivers.

I guess my main point is that you need to go for the gusto when getting up your job.....get what you can now. You don't have time to wait until you "pay your dues"....

Just my .02

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Rookie

Amen brother! When I was with werner the first time I found out werner has a mexico branch that recruits and will send the trainees to train in the US. I personally talked to an outgoing trainer that said he refused to take on trainees in TX or AZ because a lot of them couldn't even speak enough to say hi. They kept implying his refusals would get him removed as a trainer so he finally went to CFI and didn't have to worry about training anymore, they paid better
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Congrats Nissan! Glad that it worked out for ya. Sorry about the out-of-line comments last night. I'm sure you'll make a great go of it. As for me, Cluggy, I think I'll just keep trying to pay my dues Best Wishes.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Nissan...If Sherman get's to you...hang with them and keep quiet for 18 month's...then you can jump from Sherman over to Central Oregon Truckin, or into Olsen Trucking, up in Vancouver. Both are exceptional flatbedders, with a decent pay and profit-sharing structure, but they both also require 2 years driving experience and at least 18 month's flatbed. They both hire a lot of Sherman drivers that stick it-out.

:moose:
Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Rookie

Thanks Belpre, I want apologize for my nasty response it was unwarranted. ops:

OrangeTx, I actually had an offer on the table at Central Oregon before I looked back to werner but home time running 48 was an issue beings the wife is due in June and was worried I'd miss her delivery. They told me they had to drop the minumum OTR time to one year and were taking select people with six months OTR who would go out with their drivers for training, the driver pinch seems to be affecting everyone now.
Sherman's going to start me on a glass route from Lathrop, CA to Vancouver BC. That will give me some good miles and keep me in the zone for the wife. She doesn't want me to even go back driving preferring me to look for a local job but after the bug gets in your system it's hard to resist the call of the open road
At this point I want to find a nice and stick it out, I'm excited to start flatbedding. They're sending me to Cali for three weeks to learn all about loading glass on flats, drop decks, etc. so that should be a new experience!
Old 01-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

One serious suggestion.

Always have plenty of card board boxes available, always have plenty of carpet scraps available..and use them religously. Pay extra attention to how the glass is set on the A-frame...leave no gaps.

And...when you are climbing up over the Pass...be kind on the curves...I have seen a ton of glass scattered, on that climb up to Dunsmir...it can be very very wicked if the glass panels are loose.

LOL...maybe later I will tell ya the secret to getting across the Canuck Border quick.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
One serious suggestion.

Always have plenty of card board boxes available, always have plenty of carpet scraps available..and use them religously. Pay extra attention to how the glass is set on the A-frame...leave no gaps.

And...when you are climbing up over the Pass...be kind on the curves...I have seen a ton of glass scattered, on that climb up to Dunsmir...it can be very very wicked if the glass panels are loose.

LOL...maybe later I will tell ya the secret to getting across the Canuck Border quick.

Sounds like you've been there done that, I've never had to make a Canadian run before. Any major differences driving up there such as roads, regs, HOS, and the like? I've heard nothing but bad about the actual crossing and paperwork