User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Do Trucking Comapanys Do This Alot?

I once worked for swift and didn't get paid for a full week and when they let me go I discovered that they did in fact owe me for a full week, however swift claimed that I was paid all I was owed by them and refuse to pay me for the week I was owed.

I contacted the labor board and sent in documentation supporting my complaint and after an investigation into swift they found I was in fact not paid for more than a week and swift had to settle in my favor. I did receive the moneys owed to me. but my question is does this happen alot with not just swift but other company's?

Because if this is happening alot than this would be one heck of a class action lawsuit. So if anyone leaves a company you may wan't to check and see if you were paid everything you were owed.

GOOD LUCK
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Board Regular

I haven't had this problem YET. But, I think it would be a very good idea to keep documentation of your last week or two worth of trips if you are planning on quitting your current employer. Having your load #'s, trailer #'s, shipper/ receiver information and mileage will definitely make it easier to dispute any payroll discrepancies.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Honestly it sounds like a mistake was made with your pay and perhaps you just got someone in payroll who didnt want to do the legwork to fix the mistake. I wouldnt say there was some big conspiracy at a billion dollar company scamming you for a weeks worth of pay. Nor would i say its something that happens a lot. I think it would fall under, Mistake made.....You called the labor board for exactly why they are there....settled....mistake corrected.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

What is more common is for trucking companies to find excuses for keeping your last paycheck. Things like truck not clean, damages, equipment not turned in, etc.

Whenever you go to turn your truck in, even if it is just a swap out for a new(er) truck make sure everything is properly documented. In other words CYA is the order of the day.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Thats Probably what is is, just a mistake I can't imagine when I think about it that trucking outfits would make a habbit out of this sort of thing as the legal end would probably cost them alot. I allso agree with uturn on the equipment thing. Thanks everyone
Old 01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Sarasdad,

I had followed your thread through Swift. I was wondering if you ever got on with a different company?

I am sorry you had such a bad time starting out. I know we had our own thing happen but it wasn't mean, spiteful, and disrespectful. Things have turned around for my husband after a bad episode with May Trucking (husbands accidents).

I hope you got on with a good company.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Not yet Going Fer It, I am actually thinking of going with CRST for now to do my training all over again, I wan't to go solo and I don't think CRST has solo drivers and when I spoke with the recruiter I told him that I infact did want to drive solo and he told me, look why don't you just train for 6 weeks and have the fun make the training pay and then when your done you can sign on with someone else if you like. Well I told him id get back to him.

But what do you thnk I should do? I mean I have this CDL I am already a good safe driver, just without the completed training and I did pay alot for the CDL so I do not want it to go to waste, any advice is always aprecitaed.

Thank You In Advance
Old 01-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasdad91
Not yet Going Fer It, I am actually thinking of going with CRST for now to do my training all over again, I wan't to go solo and I don't think CRST has solo drivers and when I spoke with the recruiter I told him that I infact did want to drive solo and he told me, look why don't you just train for 6 weeks and have the fun make the training pay and then when your done you can sign on with someone else if you like. Well I told him id get back to him.

But what do you thnk I should do? I mean I have this CDL I am already a good safe driver, just without the completed training and I did pay alot for the CDL so I do not want it to go to waste, any advice is always aprecitaed.

Thank You In Advance
DO NOT GO JUST TO TRAIN! I would run from that company. No matter were you go more than likely you will have to be trained again because of the short time in the industry.

Unless you are committed to staying with a company why go with the trainer just to leave and go with a company and have to go with their trainer. That is crazy! Plus other companies will frown upon it if you have worked for too many other companies in a short period of time.

Give Davis a call, explain your situation and tell them you would appreciate it if they would give you a second chance. That is if you are having a hard time finding a company. Pat over there is really nice.

Read the Davis Thread and see if you would like to go there. But do not train with any company you do not intend to stay with.

Goin Fer it's Wife
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasdad91
...when I spoke with the recruiter I told him that I infact did want to drive solo and he told me, look why don't you just train for 6 weeks and have the fun make the training pay and then when your done you can sign on with someone else if you like.
Sounds like a recruiter wanting to make his quota and comission without regard for anyone else.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Give Earl Henderson a call they would use you as a 2nd seat for a team then after 2 years either let you start to run solo or promote you to first seat and then let you start to be the first seat of a team if you still want to only run team. I know for a fact they always are looking for good second seats even with your low amount of exp they should take you on. Expect to get alot of miles they run coast to coast.