User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
Give Earl Henderson a call they would use you as a 2nd seat for a team then after 2 years either let you start to run solo or promote you to first seat and then let you start to be the first seat of a team if you still want to only run team. I know for a fact they always are looking for good second seats even with your low amount of exp they should take you on. Expect to get alot of miles they run coast to coast.
He said he does not want to run team. He wants to solo. If he wanted to run team he would more than likely go to CRST and stay with CRST.

With CRST telling him to have fun and just get the training :shock: I mean it cost the company to train as well as the trainee will get low pay while training.

Plus even people who have 2 years experience would more than likely have to go out with trainers for most companies as each company does things differently.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasdad91
Not yet Going Fer It, I am actually thinking of going with CRST for now to do my training all over again, I wan't to go solo and I don't think CRST has solo drivers and when I spoke with the recruiter I told him that I infact did want to drive solo and he told me, look why don't you just train for 6 weeks and have the fun make the training pay and then when your done you can sign on with someone else if you like. Well I told him id get back to him.

But what do you thnk I should do? I mean I have this CDL I am already a good safe driver, just without the completed training and I did pay alot for the CDL so I do not want it to go to waste, any advice is always aprecitaed.

Thank You In Advance
CRST is strictly a team operation. (not including the CRST Malone flatbed division). Don't do this to yourself. If you are wanting solo, there are MANY companies that will be willing to pick you up (heck, you already have a CDLA), get you the training wheel time, and then to your own rig. (As a former CRST driver) I can more than guarantee that your 6 weeks of "fun" would more than likely end up a nightmare. As the other folks have mentioned, you will also be looking like a 'job jumper.' Walk the other way from these "half baked" recuiters looking only to fill a quota. Make a firm decision as to what you REALLY want , research, ask questions and come to a CAREER decision. The right compan(ies) are out there for you. I just don't think the CRST option would be the best for your particular situation. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

If you do as the recruiter suggested.....just going for the 6 weeks of training then leave..... You will only accomplish two things: 1. Put money in the recruiters pocket, and 2. YOU WILL HAVE SCREWED, BLUED AND TATTOOED YOURSELF OUT OF ANYMORE DRIVING JOBS!!

You are in that strange position where if you go to another company as a neophyte and stay only a few weeks or even months....you will be labeled as a "job hopper" without experience and ultimately end up as a liability not to be touched.

Find a company that runs "solo" and go there. Have you ever talked to anyone at CFI to see if you are in their hiring area?? 800-641-4748 and just ask for recruiting. Its a free call, and who knows it may work well for you. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
If you do as the recruiter suggested.....just going for the 6 weeks of training then leave..... You will only accomplish two things: 1. Put money in the recruiters pocket, and 2. YOU WILL HAVE SCREWED, BLUED AND TATTOOED YOURSELF OUT OF ANYMORE DRIVING JOBS!!

You are in that strange position where if you go to another company as a neophyte and stay only a few weeks or even months....you will be labeled as a "job hopper" without experience and ultimately end up as a liability not to be touched.

Find a company that runs "solo" and go there. Have you ever talked to anyone at CFI to see if you are in their hiring area?? 800-641-4748 and just ask for recruiting. Its a free call, and who knows it may work well for you. 8)
Skywalker,

Do you think they would work with him over at CFI? He went out with a trainer at Swift and it was a nightmare. I know you were on that thread also! I guess he has not done any truck driving since the end of August.
If CFI would work with him and I imagine Davis would that would be two companies he could look into.

Sarasdad,
You should get out as soon as you can the longer you wait the harder it will be.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Do Trucking Comapany's Do This Alot?

Sara'sDad...If you do not want to do Team running..don't sign on with a "Team" company. Earl Henderson Trucking was suggested as a possible home for ya...and EHT was a good one to suggest. Especially if you live in Cali. If you live in the Midwest, then Crete, CFI, or USXpress would work for you.

And yes.....In my 30 years of driving, it has been my experience that trucking companies like to keep as much of "Your's" as they can keep.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 PM

This is what I love about this board so much, there are alot of experienced drivers on here that have done it already and can give great advice. I want to thank all of you. atleast now I have some options and I think the best thing for me is sign on with a company that will work me solo after my training and so I think ill call the one that going fer it talked about first and ill let you all know my progress.

Just in the couple of months that I did drive, it already got into my blood and now that I have taken care of some personal buisness at home im more than ready to go back. and I will stay with a company if I can. I really do not like moving around alot. Thanks again everyone and ill be touch on this board. :lol:
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Please keep us posted Sarasdad,

With flat-bedding it is different from vans and reefers.

1. More physical, but you will keep in shape.
2. You will get dirty at times.
3. No funky delivery times, like midnight so you can have a more normal schedule.
4. Even though you tarp at Davis it will likely be only once a week once you get going because of the lengths of the runs.
5. You will be able to drop most of your loads early rather than having to sit and wait for your appointment time.
6. Starting out you will get a flat-top truck. This is not a problem for my husband (Except for the fact that he will not be able to take our son with him as he is 6 foot and 150 lbs and the two will not have enough room) Eventually Davis is going to replace their whole fleet with condo's.
7. At Davis you will need your own cell phone as they do not use qualcom.

You will not have the problems that you had at Swift with the trainer. It is a small home feel type of company. They seem to really care about the people that work for them.

If you need any other information let me know!

Goin Fer It's Wife