Emailing companies

Old 01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Default Emailing companies

All,

Still kicking the idea of going back behind the wheel. I emailed my company of choice on just where I fall in their hometime area. (TMC and I live in Green Bay WI)

Curious as to how quick others have gotten responses that we not directly related to applying for work?

My CDL is old so I need refresher training but that's ok with me. I can still move a truck but it's been a while since I did it with a wagon.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Emailing companies

While I prefer getting my answers via email (basically because it saves me from the "recruiter hard sell"), I've had very poor luck dealing with companies via the computer.

Unfortunately, the easiest way to information still seems to be the telephone - and then the fifteen to twenty minutes of them trying to get you to do an application by phone :shock:

Old 01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

go u on the TMC thread and ask....those guys are really nice and will answer you pretty quick.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by tndieselgrl
While I prefer getting my answers via email (basically because it saves me from the "recruiter hard sell"), I've had very poor luck dealing with companies via the computer.

Unfortunately, the easiest way to information still seems to be the telephone - and then the fifteen to twenty minutes of them trying to get you to do an application by phone :shock:

Perhaps another problem may be that when the recruiter responds to your questions via E-Mail, his/her statements are then in written form; much easier to lie over the telephone!! Remember "Sheepdancer" with JB Hunt??? He doesn't answer in writing because "he doesn't have to"!! If you don't want the job based upon what he tells you, then some poor bloke over the telephone does!!

In all fairness to the recruiter, your circumstances are somewhat out of the norm; thus, a recruiter may wind up having to wait in an answer from safety or management before sending a reply.

As "Tndieselgrl" pointed out, the telephone is where they can make their "Hard Sell"!!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Rookie
Default emailing companies

I like e-mail correspondence with interested drivers. my only problem is getting the time to respond to very many of them. i have no issue putting in writting what a driver will do and what a driver will get with our company

Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Board Regular

While e-mail is very convenient, I have not had much luck getting some companies to respond back. Other's have replied within 4 hours.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I am a soon to be "noob".....as I await to retire from the military and embark on my 2nd career as an OTR driver, I have been conducting a ton of research.

Emailing companies is how I prefer to communicate at this point and time. I have about 50 some odd questions and send a modified list of questions to a company I am interested in. For example: if their website list the pay scale, then of course I do not bother asking them that. I ask questions that are important to ME that either are not listed on their sites or I need clarification on.

I would say that for the most part, I have had about a 90% success rate in getting replies back.

Sometimes it takes days or even a week, but many times it is within an hour or so if not sooner.

I have had a few that flat out do not reply even after I "re-send" my email about 2 weeks later.

I have also had a couple.....(I AM NOT TRYING TO START ANYTHING HERE) such as SNI, and JB Hunt reply with "call me". I reply back explaining that because I am military and working full time right now, that I can not call until I secure from work and would prefer to correspond via email. The reply with "call me at this number" and I reply back with the same reasoning. One of those 2 companies flat out told me that they DO NOT put anything into writing.

Although it is obvious that my questions are "general" in nature, I sincerely think that they are afraid to email me the answers for fear they may be "held" to what they said.

Need less to say, when they don't or refuse to reply via email, I just scratch them off my list and move on to the next one. If they don't want a reliable career man, then it's their loss.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by duck
All,

Still kicking the idea of going back behind the wheel. I emailed my company of choice on just where I fall in their hometime area. (TMC and I live in Green Bay WI)

Curious as to how quick others have gotten responses that we not directly related to applying for work?

My CDL is old so I need refresher training but that's ok with me. I can still move a truck but it's been a while since I did it with a wagon.
I did an online app with may and its been 2 weeks and i have Not heard a word fom them . If companys are going to have online apps than they should reply to someone who uses it within a week no longer.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I spoke to a carrier about a year or two ago and was told that they receive on line applications daily. It could be that they simply have so many applicants that they cannot get back with everyone. It would be good if they could at least acknowledge receipt of an application, even if it was only a form response.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by GMAN
I spoke to a carrier about a year or two ago and was told that they receive on line applications daily. It could be that they simply have so many applicants that they cannot get back with everyone. It would be good if they could at least acknowledge receipt of an application, even if it was only a form response.
I was told by a carrier that gets applications through CAD that sometimes they never actually get forwarded correctly. Whether that was the truth or if he was just blowing smoke at me to make me go through his company application I don't know.... Come to think of it, he never called me back :?

Reply Subscribe