User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Perhaps another problem may be that when the recruiter responds to your questions via E-Mail, his/her statements are then in written form; much easier to lie over the telephone!! Remember "Sheepdancer" with JB Hunt??? He doesn't answer in writing because "he doesn't have to"!! If you don't want the job based upon what he tells you, then some poor bloke over the telephone does!!

In all fairness to the recruiter, your circumstances are somewhat out of the norm; thus, a recruiter may wind up having to wait in an answer from safety or management before sending a reply.

As "Tndieselgrl" pointed out, the telephone is where they can make their "Hard Sell"!!
there you go again, useless....flat out spreading missinformation and even lying. Thats not the reason I usually wont put things in an email. The reason is quite simple. Usually when you communicate by email or mail by the time all is said and done that postition will be already filled. If I need a few drivers for a local or dedicated postition and I call, there just isnt enough time to email or "put it in writing" Reality far less than 1% of drivers ask for things in writing. Which means thats usually within a few more phone calls that position will be filled by someone who didnt request it in writing. It basically comes down to how bad you want the job. I call you, tell you the job, ask you if you want it, Either you do or you dont. For most good dedicated jobs, it usually takes me about 10 or 15 phone calls to find a driver ready to schedule for that position. First scheduled for orientation, first gets the job, first recruiter that gets the driver gets the commission...thats just the way things work.
Like i said in the other thread that you managed to get locked up again, I now have a website with all the jobs and job discriptions on it that I can send drivers to who want it "in writing". That website will have the exact same thing on it Im telling the driver. So now I can schedule the driver and tell him to go there, print it out and have eveything I told him in writing.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
Perhaps another problem may be that when the recruiter responds to your questions via E-Mail, his/her statements are then in written form; much easier to lie over the telephone!! Remember "Sheepdancer" with JB Hunt??? He doesn't answer in writing because "he doesn't have to"!! If you don't want the job based upon what he tells you, then some poor bloke over the telephone does!!

In all fairness to the recruiter, your circumstances are somewhat out of the norm; thus, a recruiter may wind up having to wait in an answer from safety or management before sending a reply.

As "Tndieselgrl" pointed out, the telephone is where they can make their "Hard Sell"!!
there you go again, useless....flat out spreading missinformation and even lying. Thats not the reason I usually wont put things in an email. The reason is quite simple. Usually when you communicate by email or mail by the time all is said and done that postition will be already filled. If I need a few drivers for a local or dedicated postition and I call,

there just isnt enough time to email or "put it in writing"

Reality far less than 1% of drivers ask for things in writing.

Which means thats usually within a few more phone calls that position will be filled by someone who didnt request it in writing. It basically comes down to how bad you want the job. I call you, tell you the job, ask you if you want it, Either you do or you dont.

Sounds like you and I are both saying the same thing, only in slightly different words!!!....Except for the fact that you conveniently omitted was the fact that by replying via e-mail, your promises that you personally offer can then be verified.

Now, we had this discussion before, and I distinctly remember you saying that you have gone out to truck stops to bang on driver's doors, trying to recruit them, because, as you say, IT WORKS.

You have time to call up drivers who have already turned you down, and try to hound them into coming to work for you. Why?? Because IT WORKS!!!

You have time to do all of these things, but you DON'T have time to confirm an inquiry from someone by E-Mail......even though LESS THAN 1% of your inquiiries come from E'mails???....someone who may, indeed, have an interest in coming to work for you. Yeah, right!!!

Sheepdancer, that's one set of retreads you simply are not going to be able to sell very easily!!...Sure as hell can't sell them to me!!
[b]Like i said in the other thread that you managed to get locked up again[/b.
Give it a rest, Sheepdancer!!!

I was just trying to help you out again!!!

You said yourself that "Bad Advertisements" from me cause a flood of phone calls to burn up your phone lines, and your P.M. box to overflow.

Given the fact that you are so busy dealing with this overflow of drivers wanting to drive your 62 MPH trucks, I'm rather surprised that you have any time at all to throw your petty little cyber-space temper tantrums!!
In any event, if the bad advertisement that i provide for you helps as much as you claim, then I figure a locked thread will benefit you even more!!

In any event, once again, it has been my pleasure to help you, and once again, you are welcome for the assistance that I am giving you!!

We've heard you excuses, Now, how about the truth??
Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I think you are giving yourself too much credit thinking you can produce anger in me. I always find your little posts fun. And enjoy pointing out where you are wrong......Like right here....Our trucks havent been set at 62mph for quite a long time. What are you going to claim next? That no one wants to drive the cabovers we havent had for years?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I think you are giving yourself too much credit thinking you can produce anger in me. I always find your little posts fun. And enjoy pointing out where you are wrong......Like right here....Our trucks havent been set at 62mph for quite a long time. What are you going to claim next? That no one wants to drive the cabovers we havent had for years?
I thought that this romantic affair that you are having with yourself was just a "Summer Thing"!!

I, too, enjoy your little tirades and temper tantrums....and pointing out all of the places where you contradict yourself!!

As I said before, and I mean it sincerely, there are times when you offer things of value to the board; yet when you talk about putting a caller on the speaker phone so that everyone can have a good laugh, you tip your hand, and show us all what JB Hunt is like behind the fascade!!

Keep up the good work, & stay safe!!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Board Member

One More Thing, Sheepdancer!!

I do understand that working the phone lines is often more productive than trying to do business via e-mail. We use a combination of e-mail and phone work in getting our deals put together, and we have found that by striking a good balance, both ways of communication combine to make our work in both means of communication more efficient and productive.

If communicating via e-mail is not productive for you, then the reason for that is not because e-mail is not a productive tool for gaining results; it is simply that you are not using the tool correctly or effectively, or that you are not using it at all.

If we communicated strictly by e-mail, it would take a lot longer to get things done, and more deals would fall through the cracks; at the same time, communicating strictly by phone provides a fertile breeding ground for future disagreements, and discrepancies between what was said, and what was heard.

This is why we follow up our phone calls with E-Mails, and use E-Mails to lay the foundation for more productive phone work. Anyone who works for me knows that I expect them to be able to show a solid paper trail to establish what has taken place in phone call discussions, and we communicate that to our clients, prospective clients, consultants, and vendors as well.

In the type of work that we do, particularly in our Real Estate work and oil and gas trading, and sales of water rights, failure to do so leaves us open to complaints with the Real Estate Commission, The Railroad Commission, TNRCC, numerous areas of civil litigation, and potentially exposes us to criminal liability as well. For us, prevention is far better than having to expend resources seeking a cure.

Now, I realize that the type of work that you do is, in fact, very different; yet, I become extremely leery and suspicious when I hear someone say that they "don't have time" or for whatever other reason or excuse, to confirm their statements or promises in writing. Sadly, it happens all to often. The first time someone tries suggest that, or tires to use that line on me, or the people who work for me, for whatever reason, is the very last time that they will have the opportunity to business with us.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL...you really think I put cussing drivers on speaker phone. That was a joke meant to criticize those types of people who think cussing and screaming is a way to get what you want and demonstrating how silly it is to expect anyone to do what you want by cussing at them. I guess the joke went over your head. But there is always some truth in my jokes. Like I said, cussing and screaming at a recruiter WILL NOT get you removed from a call list. We all know those people in any industry, whether its cussing out some telemarketer, or perhaps a waitress, or a driver cussing out random people on the CB. Yes, I do laugh when I get cussed at. People who think they can get what they want by cussing someone out ARE A JOKE.

Yes, I do those things BECAUSE it works. You seem to think that most drivers dont want JB recruiters to call them or perhaps dont want one of my cards on their trucks. That couldnt be farther from the truth. I make 200+ calls a day and the vast majority of drivers are very happy I called them. I maybe get 1 driver every 2 days who want to be removed from our calling list. As far as going into the truck stops in my spare time and passing out my business card, Ive never had a negative reaction to that. In fact, I went to a small little truck stop last night that only had about 15 trucks there. I didnt wake anyone up, I didnt talk to one driver...I just put my card on the door of every truck there. Now pay attention, here is where the "BECAUSE IT WORKS" comes in. I spent about 10 minutes putting my card on those trucks....Out of the 15 drivers who got my card, 3 called me today. 1 felon and i couldnt hire him.....2 are now scheduled for our orientation. Like i said...because it works.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Not to keep the argument going, but I think you are missing the point.

Like i said, i have a website now with all the information on it. After i schedule a driver for orientation, I am perfectly happy to give him or her the web address so he can have what I said in writing. You are probably going to ask why dont I give it to him before i schedule him for orientation. I probably would if the driver asks. But at the same time Im going to tell the driver the TRUTH which is "Right now we need 2 (or whatever number drivers we need) to fill that position. Right now there are about 95 other recruiters in this building trying to fill those 2 positions and as soon as you hang up the phone, I myself am going to make the next call to find a driver for that position. Reality...By the time you look it over, and call me back to schedule, it will be filled." Then I will say "lets fill out the app now, get scheduled and then you can go out to the website and get it in writing.....if you dont like what you see, call me back and I will be happy to take you off the orientation roster" Rarely will a driver say no to that.
Now, is that a "hard sell"? I guess....but really its the best way to recruit drivers. And thats the only way a driver would probably get the job he wants. The customers freight really cant wait..If I have an open job that means we have an empty truck and customers freight that needs to be hauled. I really dont think any trucking company would last long if they said things to the customer like, "Im sorry, we cant get the freight pulled, but dont worry, we think we might have a driver for you soon, after he thinks about if he wants the job for a few weeks."
Now of course im talking about dedicated and local jobs that open up and close quickly....if we are talking about OTR drivers, sure its ok to wait and think about it. Its not like those jobs are going to close up.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
LOL...you really think I put cussing drivers on speaker phone. That was a joke meant to criticize those types of people who think cussing and screaming is a way to get what you want and demonstrating how silly it is to expect anyone to do what you want by cussing at them. I guess the joke went over your head.

No, it's not that the joke went over my head, it's because of the sleaze factor that comes into play. There are many sleazy operators out there, and as a whole recruiters for truck driving companies work in a profession that is in very serious need of refurbishing.

Let's be honest here; recruiters for trucking companies are not viewed by many as being a very trustworthy lot!!

But there is always some truth in my jokes. Like I said, cussing and screaming at a recruiter WILL NOT get you removed from a call list. We all know those people in any industry, whether its cussing out some telemarketer, or perhaps a waitress, or a driver cussing out random people on the CB. Yes, I do laugh when I get cussed at. People who think they can get what they want by cussing someone out ARE A JOKE.

I'll agree with that, but those same people will be glad to paint your company in a very negative light. Now, here is where we see things very differently. You see someone like that as a joke, and some of them are. Some of them are indeed sorry, pathetic assholes who are angry at life in general. They'll never be happy, because they don't want to be happy; true happiness is not within their comfort zones, and it never will be!! Personally, I see that type of person as someone to be pitied rather than laughed at.

NOTE: I said SOME of them, but not ALL of them!!

At the same time, because of the years that I spent in health care and in nursing I see many of them as being people whose minds can be changed, once you can get them to settle down. Now, as a nurse, the first step in that process was to just allow them to vent, and get all of their anger and frustrations out of their systems. Then, like a three year old child who has just thrown a whopper of a temper tantrum, after they have worn themselves out, they have no chioce but to calm down; at that point, reason has an opportunity to prevail.

How many times have I encountered a patient or a customer who needed to vent?? Once I allowed them to vent, we were able to talk. In the end, they would thank me, and tell me that "I seemed to understand where they were coming from, when no one else could." Now, a foundation was being laid for a good, productive relationship.

In a hospital environment, the result was a patient who became more co-operative, and imcreasingly compliant, and whose family became more supportive of treatment and therapy protocols.

In a business environment, the result is a prospect who becomes a client, a client who becomes a loyal advocate and is more likely to pay us on time, with fewer complications, and a vendor who becomes much more attuned to our needs, and provide us with first class service!!

In the end, we all win!!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Board Member

I wouldnt say recruiters are seen as negative by most people. I would say SOME drivers see recruiters as negative. But its not like Im out at some party with my wife and tell people im a recruiter and they roll their eyes. Some people are ignorant. Just like some ignorant people see drivers in a negative way. And why we are at it some people see nurses in a negative way too (although my wife is a housewife/mother before that she was an RN). Ive never been ashamed of telling people im a recruiter. Nor would a few drivers seeing me in a negative way affect my life one bit. I proud of my work, I make a great living and Im able to provide everything my family needs.
Just because at one time some recruiter lied to you or anyone else about something doesnt make all recruiters liars or bad people. Just like a truck driver killing a family of four while high on meth doesnt make you a drug crazed psychopath. There are good and bad people in every industry and in every job.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Senior Board Member