User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default J.B. Hunt

Right now I work for Werner, a company im mostly happy with, however my dispatcher is an idiot, and although im making 30 cpm, im only managing to get about 1500 miles a week. if I were to force a dispatcher change, I would need to leave this account, and my pay would go down to 24.5 cents a mile, with this in mind...

I was contacted by a nice gentleman at J.B. Hunt, and 37 cpm sounds better then 30 cpm for the same work.

So the question I have is, what do I need to know about hunt?
What should I expect?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Im a recruiter over here at JB so I dont know if my opinion counts. However I dont think I was the recruiter you talked to, so I dont make any money for you coming over here. Id be happy to honestly answer any questions you have.

First of all out of southern ca you have two choices for OTR work. 48 states, or the SW6. Miles are real good for the 48 states out of california. However to get those miles maximized, you need to be a little flexible with your hometime. Meaning, I wouldnt take that job if you need to be home every 14 days. Drivers who demand to be home every two weeks miles will always suffer. The flexible drivers tend to be the favorite of dispatch with any OTR company.
SW6 is another story....This is an OTR job basically just the western half of the US. Your shift would be 14 days but you would most likely get home to take your break sometime through the week because you are always closer to home. Downside: Shorter hauls mean less miles. However you would still be doing way better than you are now.
Basically it comes down to this, If you want the bigger paycheck and you dont mind staying out on the road a little longer, I would run 48 states. If you want a little more hometime, I would run the SW6. Either way, I dont think you should continue working for 30cpm and 1500 miles per week.
Also....The LA area is a great area for JB Hunt and local & dedicated runs..So once in a company like us, in the future if you wanted to run local or dedicated, you are going to be able to transfer pretty easiely.
ALSO FYI: A lot of the dedicated and local runs in southern ca require HAZMAT.....Although you dont need it for OTR, If you dont have it now, you might want to think about getting it later. It would only make it easier to move around the company later.
Hope this helps.
One more thing....if you do end up coming over here, tell your recruiter that CRAIG helped you......Maybe I can get a free lunch out of your recruiter.....lol
Old 01-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Rookie

My preferred way to work, is 6 weeks out, 6 days home, without slipseating.

I also attend conventions several times a year. which means one to two times a year I need to be able to take a week off, sometimes at a place that is not my home terminal.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Then I would run 48 states.
If you doing 6 weeks out at a time, you are going to be "gold" to dispatch and your fleet manager.
As far as taking your time off in other places, I wouldnt think it would be a problem, drivers do it all the time. However thats something between you and your fleet manager.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Board Regular

I too worked a year at Werner before moving on. I also was lucky to get 1500MPW. Since hiring on at CFI, I have been completely happy and I'm still surprised that this company manages things so well. I was busy getting 2,700 miles knocked out over the New Years when many drivers are left sitting. Good Luck on whatever you choose.
Tim
Old 01-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Now.... Piece of Work.
Do you really think that a recruiter posing as a driver is going to work? What you are doing right now is an insult to the drivers intelligence. Dishonest tactics like this are exactly why recruiters are hated by many drivers and its a horrible way to recruit.
This seems to be one of the only message boards where recruiters and drivers seem to have a pretty good civil relationship. Im sure you will be welcomed out here if you keep in honest.
Now, as far has highjacking this thread with your CFI crap. I will overlook it this time, as you are still pretty new out here. Do it again, and you will start and LOSE a war like you wouldnt believe.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Now.... Piece of Work.
Do you really think that a recruiter posing as a driver is going to work? What you are doing right now is an insult to the drivers intelligence. Dishonest tactics like this are exactly why recruiters are hated by many drivers and its a horrible way to recruit.
This seems to be one of the only message boards where recruiters and drivers seem to have a pretty good civil relationship. Im sure you will be welcomed out here if you keep in honest.
Now, as far has highjacking this thread with your CFI crap. I will overlook it this time, as you are still pretty new out here. Do it again, and you will start and LOSE a war like you wouldnt believe.
Thank you Sheepdancer
Old 01-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Senior Board Member

24.5 CPM!

That should be a crime!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Senior Board Member

JB is a good company I worked for them as a company driver and O/O
Old 01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Now.... Piece of Work.
:roll:

Wow - threatening other users. To quote you, Sheepdancer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances with Sheep
Tactics like that are exactly why recruiters are hated by many drivers and its a horrible way to recruit.
I don't see "Moderator" under your name, and I don't see J.B. Hunt on the web address.

Are you going to guarantee that this potential driver will get the fantastic amount of miles that you say he will in writing?

I didn't think so. :roll:
Closed Thread