User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SUMMITT TRUCKING FIRST A GOOD FACE THEN...

Hi. I'm the boyfriend, that drives for Summitt Trucking, of the one who uses this name. The reason I'm typing this is that I was real impressed with Summitt at first, but after the happening of the last few weeks, I'm no longer impressed.
The week before Christmas, I accidentally clipped a control post for an electric gate. I was in a tight place and trying to make a turn through a gate and keep from getting stuck in the mud. I thought "No big deal " since it was the first incident since I started with them almost 2 years ago. I was wrong.
They put me before their"Driver Review Board", without telling me, and their disciplinary action was a"Final Warning, termination is next action if any other incidents or citations happen.
The only things that I have on my record are 1 speeding ticket, 1 warning for speeding and the incident with the control post.
Me personally , I think this was a too drastic of a measure to issue to a person with a record as good as that. I have bailed them out on several occasions. Taking loads that other drivers fell off of or that they just couldn't get covered. Loads for some of Summitt's biggest customers but that doesn't seem to matter to them. I don't think that I will be doing any more favors. You can have a good record, always on time for deliveries helping out whenever asked but they don't care. All that they see is the bad.
That's why I'm looking for another job. Maybe with a company that knows that good drivers are hard to find.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Board Regular

Happens at alot of companies. I've done alot "favors" for my previous employer, including saving them from a pretty big claim, only to get fired when a trailer was broken into.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Most companies have a "driver review board". Also most companies put drivers who have been involved in an accident/incident through this. Also many times this "board" is often only one person, the safety director.

Finally, at many companies, it is in the employee handbook the company's policy regarding accidents.

The bottom line is that you had a preventable accident and getting your nose all out of joint about it and how the company is handling it is not going to do any good at all.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
The bottom line is that you had a preventable accident and getting your nose all out of joint about it and how the company is handling it is not going to do any good at all.
And if ppl continue to let these companies get away with it, they'll continue to do it. I know it's mostly insurance companies, but someone has to put an end to it sometime.

Rememeber, there are more jobs then drivers.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:38 AM
Board Regular

I've read this a few times on the forum recently. I still don't understand why someone would come here to complain about such things. This poster has a couple tickets, and now has an accident. He states in his post that he thought it was "No Big Deal", this after having a speeding ticket, a warning for speeding and now the post incident. Is it possible that the attitude of "No Big deal" has something to do with why some drivers have problems? Maybe I'm missing something, but, it seems some people just don't take the job very serious. I'm sure shit happens but speeding is something a driver has control over. Tearing up a post (I'm guessing the driver was going slow enough to stop BEFORE it was tore up) seems like something a driver would have control over. Are companies really this bad or is it some drivers don't care, and then blame the company for shit they had control over.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Rookie

The speeding ticket was for going 75 in a truck that is neutered at 68 on the floor, the warning was from a cop who was going in the opposite direction on the interstate in an area where it is difficult to see across to the other side. As for this minor incident. I am human, I make mistakes, I thought that I had swung wide enough to miss the post. It was a very tight area to maneuver in and once I thought I had the gate and post clear I was concentrating on trying to stay out of the mud so as to not get stuck and need towed out. I guess none of you ever got a ticket that you thought was undeserved or made a miscalculation and hit something. My point in the post was to let everyone know that Summitt has done a complete 180 in the way that their drivers are treated. The did not take any thing else into consideration. Not all of the times that I bailed their butts out of a jam, not all of the times that I took loads that other drivers wouldn't take. They claim to be driver friendly but in the last few months that is less true every day. Just wanted to fill everyone in on the changes so they have the correct information when deciding what company to go to work for. The drivers handbook has not been updated so the information in it is no longer valid. It doesn't say anything about a review board. Apparently it is something that they just started in the last 3-6 months. As for the "tearing up a post" where exactly was it that I said it was tore up? I said I clipped the post and that is what I did, I CLIPPED it, it was very minor. That's OK this is a message board and for each person that agrees with me there will be 5 who don't. I didn't come here to start a fight or whine I came here to let drivers know about changes in a company. I thought that I was doing someone a favor and I still do. If you don't like what I have to say then don't read it. Better yet if you think that I am wrong come to work for Summitt and in a few months you will sound just like me.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Board Regular

At UPS we can be charged for a "chargeable accident" if we so much as knock over a broom leaning against a wall while moving sets of doubles and triples around our service center yards. It's tough, but you learn not to take chances. Your driving record is the ONLY thing you have to sell in this business. "Helping out" a company that has made bad dispatch decisions is never remembered or appreciated by anyone. Cover your own rear and let the company worry about theirs.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Board Regular

I totally agree with that one!!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Maybe Summitt was impressed with you at first but is no longer impressed after your series of speeding violations and running over a stationary object.

It works both ways whether you like it or not.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I had written 2 paragraphs, but looks like they got lost :cry:

Basicaly, I also work for Summit.

I am a happy driver so far.

This thread was edited 'cause I didn't want to write the derned thing again :wink: