User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Basically they HAVE to review you. If they didn't and you got into a serious accident, the company could go tits up from a lawsuit. Trust me, don't take it personal, they're just doing whats REQUIRED. You sound like a good guy, don't let this get in your way.

You have to understand that in the trucking business there's things that are just automatic. DUI? automatic cannot enter canada. Accident? automatically get reviewed. Log violations? If your company doesn't catch them and notify you, the can be fined from the DOT to the tune of $10,000 or more!!! Fail a drug test? Goodbye!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
I had written 2 paragraphs, but looks like they got lost :cry:

Basicaly, I also work for Summit.

I am a happy driver so far.

This thread was edited 'cause I didn't want to write the derned thing again :wink:

Well after being with Summitt for about 1 1/2 years I was still pretty happy. Then as I got closer to the 2 year mark things went downhill fast. They have changed they way that they operate to the point that the driver handbook is pretty much useless. The have changed both their pet and passenger policy, their insurance, and if anything major goes wrong with your truck have fun getting it fixed. Supposedly they are supposed to be handing out new driver handbooks soon but I won't hold my breath. Just like the new terminal that was supposed to have been completed by now that hasn't even been started or the tripaks that were supposed to be put on all of the trucks. You know what, I am not going to get into an argument here. Just letting everyone that things have change dramatically there and it isn't a change for the good. I realize that every company has its problems. When I was looking for a new job 2 yrs ago I choose Summitt, for several reasons, over a couple of good companies. All of the reasons that I choose them, the things that I liked about them over the others, are now moote point. None of those things exist in this company any longer. Just too many straws and this was the one that broke this camels back. I am headed elsewhere unless major changes for the better happen here.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

I have already headed elsewhere :lol:
Old 02-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDrvrsGF

Well after being with Summitt for about 1 1/2 years I was still pretty happy. Then as I got closer to the 2 year mark things went downhill fast. They have changed they way that they operate to the point that the driver handbook is pretty much useless. The have changed both their pet and passenger policy, their insurance, and if anything major goes wrong with your truck have fun getting it fixed. Supposedly they are supposed to be handing out new driver handbooks soon but I won't hold my breath. Just like the new terminal that was supposed to have been completed by now that hasn't even been started or the tripaks that were supposed to be put on all of the trucks. You know what, I am not going to get into an argument here. Just letting everyone that things have change dramatically there and it isn't a change for the good. I realize that every company has its problems. When I was looking for a new job 2 yrs ago I choose Summitt, for several reasons, over a couple of good companies. All of the reasons that I choose them, the things that I liked about them over the others, are now moote point. None of those things exist in this company any longer. Just too many straws and this was the one that broke this camels back. I am headed elsewhere unless major changes for the better happen here.
Well, companies change. Drivers get bored. Happiness fades. Sounds like your looking for a new company before the post incident.

My advice. Quitely, get another job. Leave on good terms, with the standerd 2 weeks notice. If they ask why, just tell them you want something different. Do everything you can to be nice to them before you leave. They MIGHT feel somewhat bad when they screw over your DAC report.

And IMHO, never bail out your company by doing FAVORS... They just don't care, and won't remember. If they need you to bail them out, let them pay you extra. You've earned it. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Maybe Summitt was impressed with you at first but is no longer impressed after your series of speeding violations and running over a stationary object.

It works both ways whether you like it or not.
Well said
Old 02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

From Cluggy; And IMHO, never bail out your company by doing FAVORS... They just don't care, and won't remember. If they need you to bail them out, let them pay you extra. You've earned it.

The only people whom know about a driver bailing out a dispatcher ARE the driver and "The Dispatcher". Unless Management was directly involved in you pulling butts out of fires, it never happened...cuz it never made it to them. That's trucking.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Rookie

what is Summitt's passenger policy ??
Old 12-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Quote:

Well, companies change. Drivers get bored. Happiness fades. Sounds like your looking for a new company before the post incident.

My advice. Quitely, get another job. Leave on good terms, with the standerd 2 weeks notice. If they ask why, just tell them you want something different. Do everything you can to be nice to them before you leave. They MIGHT feel somewhat bad when they screw over your DAC report.

And IMHO, never bail out your company by doing FAVORS... They just don't care, and won't remember. If they need you to bail them out, let them pay you extra. You've earned it. :wink:
Amen; agree 100%

now, to the subject of REVIEW BOARDS or PEER REVIEW?

@ OP- how was the review board made up? safety director and a couple of their million milers? or random cross-section of their driver base?

The worse thing a company can do, IMHO, is cater to a few of these "more perfect than now" type MMSD(million mile safe drivers) who could very well go out and make a stupid mistake themselves next week( I've seen it happen)...just to keep these "over inflated" ego's happy. Of course, they are going to come down HARD on you)

Far better to just have your safety director review it, have NTSB review, or
have a non-ego driven cross-section of their drivers comprising a few seats on this review board. This fosters a 'safety dialog' within the ranks of the fleet, especially when they are chosen at random whomever's in the terminal( problem is-- it's usually the Brown Nosing Ones always hanging
around the terminal all the time or the one's that are such professional drivers that they keep tearing the equipment up(always in the shop))

Yes, chaps your ass don't it- if you have a clean MVR and only this little
incident on your record---seek Life else where. Nothing worse than working under the treat of emminent termination.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
I had written 2 paragraphs, but looks like they got lost :cry:

Basicaly, I also work for Summit.

I am a happy driver so far.

This thread was edited 'cause I didn't want to write the derned thing again :wink:

They put you on a final written warning that's something I never got from Werner at 2.3 years they just told me to dead head to freaight in Dallas and canned me...But you are on a final written ,and if anything happens that they decide to put you at fault for then you will be Terminated , And trust me finding a job with your last employer as a termination is not easy ...My advice is to jump ship before you're tossed overboard ,and have to explain a termination on your record to perspective empoyers :wink:
Old 12-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
From Cluggy; And IMHO, never bail out your company by doing FAVORS... They just don't care, and won't remember. If they need you to bail them out, let them pay you extra. You've earned it.

The only people whom know about a driver bailing out a dispatcher ARE the driver and "The Dispatcher". Unless Management was directly involved in you pulling butts out of fires, it never happened...cuz it never made it to them. That's trucking.
another advantage to having the company owner for a dispatcher, I didnt think I would like that, but it's working pretty well so far.