User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflap276
for your edge protectors, get a 1 or 2 inch pvc pipe about 4 feet long and cut a slit in one end that is 4 to 5 inches long. you can put the edge protector in the slit and hang it under the strap without climbing on the trailer/load or paying $50 for the one that is sold in the truckstops.
Hmm... wonder where you got that idea? :wink:

Even with that hunk of plastic I still find it faster to hop on top of the load and put on the corner protectors. Some guys I've met just can't do that, but it's so much easier. Another good thing is having about a four or five foot hunk of iron pipe to attach to your winch bar for when you really need some extra leverage on the chains.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Rookie

My trainer showed me the thing with metal edge protectors on vinyl loads. The first time I ever loaded out of a place in Holly Springs, MS That was as awful place to load, at one time we had dedicated out of there but we dont anymore I dont think. I believe that place bought thier own small fleet of trucks.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonSeggern
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
Buy a strap winder. They are a Godsend for speeding up the process. Winding a wet, cold strap by hand is a pain and takes too long.

But be careful with the strap winder once it is secured to the rub rail. They can break easily if you are too tough on them.
I cracked the weld on a cheap one the second time I tightened it to the rub rail.

There is a nice strap winder that is made from an steel alloy instead of the cheap pot metal ones that are in most truck stops. It has 4 prongs instead of 2, machined bushings where the winder shaft turns - instead of just a hole, a solid aluminum guide that winds the straps up even and tight, and is of very high quality. I can't remember the brand but the ONLY place I could ever find one is at the Duke Travel Plaza on I70, exit 129, in Ohio.
Ive gone through 2 of the cheapWinders.

I think the good one your talkin about is the actual Kenedyne brand. thats what I have and I love it! I picked mine up at the Bosselman T/S on I-80 in Altoona, IA
Yeah it was like $50. but WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY!..
Old 12-30-2006, 11:42 AM

I hava a nifty tool I made. it looks like Fith wheel pin puller youl see in Truck stops (a T shaped rod with a hook on the end ya know?)

But I made mine about 5 feet long.
I use it a lot to pull my chains through small coil eyes/ cable spools, ETC, and to pull straps inbetween layers of the load (Belly straps)..

Im still tryin to find a chicken farmer so I can get some old Chicken crates. You cut them in half( longways) and make real big Edge protectors. mostly used when hauling shingles. so you only need 1 starp per pallet.
(2 straps per pallet in front and back of course, no matter what)

Trailer shops sell real big protectors like that but there kinda pricey compared to Free Old worn out chicken crates.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Board Regular

For alot of the new guys out there plastic pipe loads have to be smoke tarped. but the DOT only are concerned that where the height of the pipe is equal to where the stacks are. take a 2" strap and throw across the top front of the pipe and when you get up on top take the smoke tarp throw over the front and tuck under the 2" strap. get down tighten the strap and finish up with bungies.

Secret here is before you leave the terminal make sure that they make you a smoke tarp just for this kind of load

Truck 81221

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-30-2006, 04:56 PM

Tip to get the bungee onto a D-Ring that is too high to reach:

Shove part of the rubber bungee into the hole at the end of most cheater bars, then lift the bungee up to hook onto the D-Ring. Pull gently and the bungee will release from the cheater bar and hand down from the D-Ring for easy access.

When untarping, to unhook the bungee from the same D-Ring, just pull down on the bungee a little bit and quickly release. The snapping release action will send the bungee upward and out of the D-Ring. Then all you have to do is catch it as it falls to the ground.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 12-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
Tip to get the bungee onto a D-Ring that is too high to reach:

Shove part of the rubber bungee into the hole at the end of most cheater bars, then lift the bungee up to hook onto the D-Ring. Pull gently and the bungee will release from the cheater bar and hand down from the D-Ring for easy access.

When untarping, to unhook the bungee from the same D-Ring, just pull down on the bungee a little bit and quickly release. The snapping release action will send the bungee upward and out of the D-Ring. Then all you have to do is catch it as it falls to the ground.
I also use 5th wheel puller has a hook in one end that you can set the bungie on cost me like 20 bucks got it at sapp bros

Truck 81221

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM

An easy way to pull a tarp off of a tall or unstable load is to tie the end of a 2 inch strap into a d-ring on the end of the tarp. Throw the hook over the load. On the other side of the trailer you can pull the strap and the tarp over the load. If the tarp gets stuck run the strap behind your butt and hook the hook on the strap and back away from the trailer. Your weight will pull the tarp over the trailer.

You are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist. You were never even born. Anonymity is your name, silence is your native tongue. You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We are "them." We are "they." We are the Men in Black.

We either hang together or we will be hanged seperately. -Benjamin Franklin 1767
Old 12-30-2006, 07:57 PM

I haul a lot of steel drill pipe for the rigs and the biggest problem is that pipe will slide forward if you hit your brakes too hard. Some drivers have their box doors damaged by the pipe sliding forward. I tell people that more straps is better. On average I use 2 belly chains and 10 or 11 straps.

Secure your loads and don't let them slide. It's your career. It's your accident. It's your life. I've seen trucks destroyed by pipe sliding into the cab during an emergency stop.

You are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist. You were never even born. Anonymity is your name, silence is your native tongue. You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We are "them." We are "they." We are the Men in Black.

We either hang together or we will be hanged seperately. -Benjamin Franklin 1767
Old 12-31-2006, 01:09 AM

When I started, I had trouble throwing the 4" strap over the top of high loads and onto the other side of the trailer.

A driver showed me a few tricks to help.

1.) Stand further away from the trailer. If you stand right beside the rub rail it will be much more difficult to get the strap over to the other side.

2.) Roll off 6 feet of strap and let it hang in your non-throwing hand. This will make the rolled-up strap smaller and easier to throw.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/