User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about the one that uses slats on the side and a rolled tarp on the top. Even so I thought when the tarp is pushed forward it takes up about 2". Maybe you get that back when the tarp is folded out, but then it is already loaded and short 2'. Maybe I am showing my ignorance here, I have never looked closely at one before.[/quote]

I think you are talking about a covered wagon, which is kinda simular. What I was talking about was a curtainside, where the "tarp" is on rollers. All you do slide it forward as far as you need and after they load you just pull it back and I think you pulll a lever or something and it holds it in place. I have never used either one, only regular flatbeds or drop-decks, but I have seen both being used at some of the places while I was getting a load and I believe curtainsides can be pulled up really close to the front if they need to.

Covered wagons seem like a pain in the rear to me, after you get done putting all of those slates and ribs back up there, you still have to put the tarp up on top and bungie it down. Your tarps may not get as many tears in it from geting snagged on your load and last longer.
Curtainside trailors seem like the way to go to me and I was just assuming the other driver was refering to one of those when he said to buy a roll top.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

I secure alot of double drop loads that are 13'-6" and need to throw 4" straps (36' long) over. You learn pretty quick to check the directon of the the wind.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

When you X strap the front and back throw your x-straps first, then throw one of the 4" straps over where the x-straps come over the side. This prevents the x-straps from coming loose and slipping off the corners.

Slipping of the corners can cause the 2" winches or straps to fall and wrap around your axles. This happend to me once. One slipped and was pulled into the drives. It was the inside strap so it pulled the outside strap off also. Both were wrapped around the axles, somehow it pulled the straps off the front of the trailer pulling both airline attachments off. Of course I ran out of air real quick and my trailer brakes locked up. I was able to get the truck off the road quickly.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflap276
for your edge protectors, get a 1 or 2 inch pvc pipe about 4 feet long and cut a slit in one end that is 4 to 5 inches long. you can put the edge protector in the slit and hang it under the strap without climbing on the trailer/load or paying $50 for the one that is sold in the truckstops.
For loads that require a tarp, tarp first then throw your 4" straps. Secure them in the winch, but not tight. Place your edge protector between the strap and the tarps, with your free hand put enough pressure on the strap to hold the edge protector in place and push it up with your winch bar. This method is just as fast as any other.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Senior Board Member

If your load is so wide that it overhangs your rub rail enough that you can't slip the buckle through, try to turn the buckle 180 degrees first, many times it will slip through the inside of the rub rail. Then just twist it back around 180 degrees and hook it on the rub rail.

It beats unrolling the strap, threading the free end through the rub rail, rolling the strap and throwing it over your load.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Senior Board Member

A different way to store your bungies. Hook both hooks on to the rub rail, grab the center, place all your loose bungies on the folded bungie between the rub rail and your hand holding the middle. Fold the looped end up to the two hooked end and pull the hooks through the folded end. Put the hooks back on the rub rail and pull the entire bundle downwards to tighten it. It will still keep your bungies stored tight, but if you need just one, it is so easy to pull it out without making a mess.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Board Member

A good method for keeping all your fuel cards, driver payback cards, receipt and any notes you need to make is one of those portfolios. The leather type that zips open and close.

I store all my cards in the card slots. I have a place to store pens and a calculator. It has several pockets where I can place my receipts until I submit them or can store them in a file properly. It has a pocket on the front for my fuel booklet and trippak booklet. On the other side is a note pad. I keep track of my fuel location, times, gallons, truck wash PO's, any personal money I spend that I need to be reimbursed for, mileage, whatever notes you need to take. It is in a notebook sized package that will fit in the doors side pocket where it is handy.

You just need to remember to take out your driver payback cards before you go into the truck stop, I'm always forgetting them.