User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Confused

Ok, as I've stated in a couple other threads, I'm currently in CDL school with Roadmaster in Tampa, we have a fairly large class (according to the instructors), (25 people) and I've been researching companies and the trucking industry like a mad man. Most, like 95%, of the other people in my class don't have a clue who they're going with. A few have gotten 1 or 2 prehires from the big "student mill" companies, as I have come to call them, Swift, Werner, Stevens, etc. Most of the time when the conversation of who is going with who comes up, it's like they have a "deer in headlights" look on their face. Why would people go into a new, life changing profession without doing at least a little research? I just don't get it. And then when you try to guide them to some resources (CAD for example) they hear you but you can tell that they don't "HEAR" you.

I've encouraged people to come here, read the message boards, go to yahoo or google and do searches, etc... but to no avail. I tell them to take what they read with a grain of salt, that ultimately they have to make a decision and they should probably stick with whatever company they choose for a year. No matter what industry, job, career, etc. that one chooses, there will be other people that love it, people that hate it, and everything in between. Make the best decision you can but don't do it blindly. Hell, drive up I-4 to a truck stop, pack a lunch and a case of cokes and get out, meet some drivers and talk to them. Hand them a cold soda, get it from the horses mouth. Duh.... which way did he go, George? (who's old enough to remember that? )

We had a recruiter in from Stevens last week, and it all sounded really good, new trucks, paid plane ticket home if a loved one dies, transferable pet deposit, etc. Then they talk about their pay. Pfff... what a crock. 25 cents/mile when all you need to do it spend 5 minutes on the internet to find loads of companies that will pay more starting out. Oh, and the $350 training pay (or whatever it was.. I filed their literature quick like) to boot. Our employment coordinater handed me a brochure on US Express when I went into her office even though I pretty much knew who I was going with.

Check out US Express' pay scale. Why would they pay less for longer runs?

Experience 0-300 miles 301-600 601-900 900+
0 months $0.35 $0.35 $0.32 $0.25
3 months $0.37 $0.37 $0.33 $0.28
6 months $0.37 $0.37 $0.33 $0.30
1 year $0.41 $0.37 $0.34 $0.32

Now, I'm not driving yet, but it seems to me that you'd "normally" want longer runs. Doesn't shorter runs mean more stops, which means more and longer wait times, more loading and unloanding, etc?

Am I missing something here?

Anyway, I just thought I'd open up a new thread to get some creative thoughts from you experienced guys & gals. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not really trying to beat any company up. I'm just amazed at how clueless some people are when it comes to life changing choices.

Maybe that's what some companys count on, I dunno.

Ok, sorry,, just felt like venting a bit but again, I mean nothing personally by any of this, just some observations.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 AM

I was beginning to feel like I was obsessing on research. I'm glad to hear there is someone else out there doing the same thing. I don't start school until January 15th. So, in the meantime I have been researching companies, studying and taking my written tests and got my learner's permit. I also got my DOT physical out of the way.

Maybe those other students are going off a promise from the school staff that there would not be a problem getting a job right out of school due to the shortage of drivers. I don't know. I do know I'm not leaving such an important decision to anyone else.

I responded to your thread just so you would know you are not unique. You're just another bozo on the bus!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
I also got my DOT physical out of the way.
Not a bad idea if you don't know if you pass or not, but you find almost every employer is going to have you take another DOT physical using their doctor. You might have to take another one for you CDL school, also.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Doesn't shorter runs mean more stops, which means more and longer wait times, more loading and unloanding, etc?

Am I missing something here?
You pretty much answered your own question. Many companies pay more for the shorter runs because of the reasons you cited.

One thing you apparently need to learn is that it is not the miles you drive in the week but the pay at the end of the week that counts.

One of the best weeks I ever had driving a truck was where I only drove about 1500 miles, but because of all the short haul, multi-stop, and other accessorial pay it equaled out to a 3900 mile week at my pay rate with that company.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:51 AM

I was given the paperwork for the physical from the school I will be attending. Once I had it done they took a copy and put it in my file. I also asked the perspective employer who sent me a Letter of Intent to Hire, if they would require another physical. They said they would not. So, I gave them a copy of the completed paperwork to put with my application.

So, I asked the right questions. It will be interesting to see if the employer turns around and requires one from their doctor. I'm not worried about passing another. However, it will say something about their integrity if they do require one after telling me they wouldn't.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Board Regular

First off, only 20% of those who complete school and get a CDL will even be working in the transportation industry only one short year later. Mind you, I said working in, not just driving. The turnover rate is that high among newbies. The main reason for this is that driving OTR isn't just a job or a career, but a LIFESTYLE. One that is not easy on unimportant things like personal lives and relationships. Now for that wonderful tier pay system you asked about. That's what I like to refer to as the 'We have TONS of short overnight runs' pay plan. Run, don't walk away from that system as a company driver. Click the link in my sig, read up and call recruiting if you like what you read. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 AM

Thanks for the input gang. And yes, Uturn, I do need to learn more about the miles v pay aspect. Hell, there's probably 10,000 other things I'll be learning too but your input is greatly appreciated. So, If the co. I'm going with pays .32 out of the gate, empty or full, short or long, I should be good compaired to many other companies. That's how I see it anyway.

I'd say McRookerson, that getting your permit beforehand will pay dividends while in school. While others are down at the DMV you can be practicing your PTI (pre-trip inspection), or watching videos, or whatever.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Board Regular

Never get caught up in just the cpm pay. Ask what the average NEW driver makes at the end of a year. :wink:
Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
It will be interesting to see if the employer turns around and requires one from their doctor. However, it will say something about their integrity if they do require one after telling me they wouldn't.
The reason companies require that you use their doctors is that a new driver could go to their "Uncle Bill" and get their physical signed off on. Your uncle would off course overlook your bad back because he knows that you really need this job.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:54 PM

There are only a handful of companies that will accept a physical from another trucking company. All dot pysicals are different with different companies. I had some that barely look at you and I also have had physicals that are very intense. It just depends on the company.