User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Doktari, not to scare you or anything, but i attended Roadmaster in Tampa in June of 2003, and be ready for a rude awakening when you sign on with May, i think that's who you're going with. I've seen a lot of other posters on here who have attended tech schools, and other accredited schools for half the price of what roadmaster charges, and from what i hear you get 100% more hands on training. For the heck of it, i took the training i got at Roadmaster and broke it down, and found out that you graduate out of their school with 8 total hours of road driving, two 1 hour shifts per day for the last 4 days of your 3 week training, all the while pulling a 48 foot empty trailer with tandems slid all the way to the back. I'm not trying to be negative, but don't get frustrated for the first little bit of time with your new company because you're gonna look back at your training with Roadmaster and wonder what the heck they even taught you that applied to real life driving. BOL out there, and you seem like you have the right attitude to be productive, but just wanted to let you know to be ready for what awaits out there in the "real world" of driving.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersod215
Doktari, not to scare you or anything, but i attended Roadmaster in Tampa in June of 2003, and be ready for a rude awakening when you sign on with May, i think that's who you're going with. I've seen a lot of other posters on here who have attended tech schools, and other accredited schools for half the price of what roadmaster charges, and from what i hear you get 100% more hands on training. For the heck of it, i took the training i got at Roadmaster and broke it down, and found out that you graduate out of their school with 8 total hours of road driving, two 1 hour shifts per day for the last 4 days of your 3 week training, all the while pulling a 48 foot empty trailer with tandems slid all the way to the back. I'm not trying to be negative, but don't get frustrated for the first little bit of time with your new company because you're gonna look back at your training with Roadmaster and wonder what the heck they even taught you that applied to real life driving. BOL out there, and you seem like you have the right attitude to be productive, but just wanted to let you know to be ready for what awaits out there in the "real world" of driving.
How ironic that you bring that up. I was thinking about that today. The class in front of me has 4 students (remaining) in it. They go out for a 4 hour session of city driving 2 in their cab + instruction. We go out (25 students) with 4 students + instructor and get 1/2 the actual time on the road. I read a post from someone else who's going to Pinellas Tech and he said they'll graduate with 1000 miles of driving. We're gunna have maybe 50 or so. And yes, the $$$. My main goal in signing on with RM was to get through it quickly and get on with a company and start making some $$$$ so, I took the hit of a more expensive school for the quicker pay off in the end. Now, if I get out there and have some major mishap because of lack of training then I'll live to regret it but sometime "ya got's ta do what ya got's ta do".

Thanks again though for the input, it's definately appreciated.

Oh, btw, I was in the middle of my PTI test today and my tester/instructor got a call from one of the other instructors and had to stop my test. He told me we could pick it up where I left off tomorrow. Turns out, one of the rigs had broken down somewhere in tampa with a load of students in it. Glad it wasn't me.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Board Regular

Wel if you can go out with your trainer at May, and just be patient, all will go well. Don't get frustrated with long days, and delays, and traffic, and all the other hassles involved with driving. Just look to the future and no that one day it's gonna pay off, u just gotta put in a little work to get there. And i can understand where you're coming from about the quickness of Roadmaster, and the fact that they do have a lot of company connections to get you running the day after graduate. Good luck with the rest of schooling, and if Art is still around tell him Zach said hello, last i checked i think he left, but maybe he's back.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:32 AM
Rookie

1. Ozark Motor Lines 2. Pemberton Truck Lines 3. Crete Carrier 4. Averitt Express 5. PTL
Hey howes it going, I'm new here but completely agree with about every single ounce of typed word here. I just received my Class A CDL from Tn. Tech. in Knoxville, TN. - good course, 216 hours/7 full weeks all for $1,200 & the state paid for that. couldn't beat it I think. I got about 3 full weeks of actual on tha road driving - changing gears etc. also, class was only 8 total Anyway, I started diong my homework long before school started, asking questions, visiting truck stops, research on the web etc. it will pay off I know. I also didn't jump at the first recruiter that waved donuts or pens etc. in my face either. In fact, I didn't start doing pre-hires etc. until after school. Just wanted to add a little something & I hope that maybe somebody heres got the inside scoop on these companies. THANKS
Old 12-16-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood
1. Ozark Motor Lines 2. Pemberton Truck Lines 3. Crete Carrier 4. Averitt Express 5. PTL
Can't speak from personal experience as you know but in all the research I've done I have ONLY heard good things about Crete. They have 3 divisions, Crete Carriers (Vans), Hunt Transportation (Flatbed), and Shaffer Trucking (Refer). If my knees weren't screwed up I probably would have gone with Hunt.

Averitt: require 12 months tractor trailer exp. OR 6 months OTR exp.

Ozark: Pay is higher than average starting out, no one's talking about them which is probably a good thing. They actually pay you extra for short runs. The downside here is that everyone is probably a Tennessee fan. :sad:

Pemberton: More Tennesse fans.. again, no one's talking about them so they're probably good.

PTL: Not much being said here either, I have seen them mentioned a few times but it's all been good.

So, I'd say "go with your gut" talk to a recruiter from each and if they're all competative with each other re. pay, benefits, etc then do what your gut tells you.

You may also wanna check out Transport America. The info from their website looks good and again, no one's talking about them either.

Hope that all helps at least a little bit.

Oh, and How 'bout them dawgs?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Hey appreciate it - thats pretty much what I keep hearing, all those companies seem good apparently cause nothing bad being said that I can find anywhere. Yea Averitt offers a training program for grad. of Accredited schools, they got a good thing seems like but the only thing I don't like bout them is: they lack given u freedom & independants ie., no facial hair except mustache if want, uniforms, no rider policy except - wife (not live in) & your kids. part of being a trucker is the independants of it u know but small price to pay to get my foot in the door guess. Ozarks got some nice clean trucks, to me that says alot. Pemberton seems like a good family oriented small to medium size company but problem there is they won't have a driver trainer until bout mid feb. or March. Crete, I have heard nothing but good bout them too but there really finaky bout even background screening, paper work etc. I know thats a good thing to a degree but wonderin what like driving for them = extreme pickiness, stressfull more than usual etc. makes me wonder. I got a pre-hire approval from PTL but gut feelings leaning towards Ozark & Averitt good luck to ya & again appreciate. You found who your goin with, noticed I think that your a graduate or in school ?
take care man, Youngblood
Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood
Crete, I have heard nothing but good bout them too but there really finaky bout even background screening, paper work etc. I know thats a good thing to a degree but wonderin what like driving for them = extreme pickiness, stressfull more than usual etc. makes me wonder.

Crete has been a wonderful experience for me in the 7+ months I've driven for them. Not perfect, but great. I simply could not ask for more helpfulness, support and understanding from a company than what I've experienced thus far. Crete is not a hand holding company. They treat you like the driving professional you are. Communication is a two way street and they expect you to communicate with them as needed ASAP, so they can make any needed adjustments. I hope that helps.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Wow, I can't believe this!! I don't post for a few days and already you guys have completely forgotten about CFI!

Before you throw yourself on any swords....do yourself a favor and do a search on this site using CFI and Skywalker as the searchwords and read what has been said about them.

You'll find that their pay package rivals most, and is based on practical miles, and the equipment is top notch along with them taking care of their drivers. I drove for them for over 7 years before personal issues required my being closer to home.

If you have any interest in finding out about CFI, you can go to http://www.cfidrivers.com and log on and exchange thoughts and ask questions and drivers there will answer them. It is not a "company owned or controlled site". It belongs to "Crocodile", the same gentleman who owns the "Angle and Croc" site.

And if you have any specific questions that need to be answered by a recruiter, email "Christine" at [email protected] She is the student coordinator or call 1-800-641-4748, extension 5718. Tell her "Skywalker" said "HI"!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari
Ok, as I've stated in a couple other threads, I'm currently in CDL school with Roadmaster in Tampa, we have a fairly large class (according to the instructors), (25 people) and I've been researching companies and the trucking industry like a mad man. Most, like 95%, of the other people in my class don't have a clue who they're going with. A few have gotten 1 or 2 prehires from the big "student mill" companies, as I have come to call them, Swift, Werner, Stevens, etc. Most of the time when the conversation of who is going with who comes up, it's like they have a "deer in headlights" look on their face. Why would people go into a new, life changing profession without doing at least a little research? I just don't get it. And then when you try to guide them to some resources (CAD for example) they hear you but you can tell that they don't "HEAR" you.

I've encouraged people to come here, read the message boards, go to yahoo or google and do searches, etc... but to no avail. I tell them to take what they read with a grain of salt, that ultimately they have to make a decision and they should probably stick with whatever company they choose for a year. No matter what industry, job, career, etc. that one chooses, there will be other people that love it, people that hate it, and everything in between. Make the best decision you can but don't do it blindly. Hell, drive up I-4 to a truck stop, pack a lunch and a case of cokes and get out, meet some drivers and talk to them. Hand them a cold soda, get it from the horses mouth. Duh.... which way did he go, George? (who's old enough to remember that? )

We had a recruiter in from Stevens last week, and it all sounded really good, new trucks, paid plane ticket home if a loved one dies, transferable pet deposit, etc. Then they talk about their pay. Pfff... what a crock. 25 cents/mile when all you need to do it spend 5 minutes on the internet to find loads of companies that will pay more starting out. Oh, and the $350 training pay (or whatever it was.. I filed their literature quick like) to boot. Our employment coordinater handed me a brochure on US Express when I went into her office even though I pretty much knew who I was going with.

Check out US Express' pay scale. Why would they pay less for longer runs?

Experience 0-300 miles 301-600 601-900 900+
0 months $0.35 $0.35 $0.32 $0.25
3 months $0.37 $0.37 $0.33 $0.28
6 months $0.37 $0.37 $0.33 $0.30
1 year $0.41 $0.37 $0.34 $0.32

Now, I'm not driving yet, but it seems to me that you'd "normally" want longer runs. Doesn't shorter runs mean more stops, which means more and longer wait times, more loading and unloanding, etc?

Am I missing something here?

Anyway, I just thought I'd open up a new thread to get some creative thoughts from you experienced guys & gals. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not really trying to beat any company up. I'm just amazed at how clueless some people are when it comes to life changing choices.

Maybe that's what some companys count on, I dunno.

Ok, sorry,, just felt like venting a bit but again, I mean nothing personally by any of this, just some observations.

Dok,

I read your post, and went no further. As in, I have read none of the responses.

Look at this as a blessing in disguise. This is your competition for a better paying, home more often, maybe own your own truck with your own Authoriy one day deal.

Again, look at this as a blessing. Do your time, find a good carrier, save your pennies and join the few, the proud, the Independent O/O's!!!

Some of you are laughing! :shock:

Don't.

And Dok, quit crunching numbers, and put your know everything attitude away. You are dealing with people that are at the ends of their rope. A normal person does not go into trucking. Most will not last more than a few weeks.

Suck it up, and keep your pie hole shut. Be concerned for yourself. Because once you are out HERE, it is every man for himself :shock:

I could tell a few stories.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 AM
Board Regular

"Dok,

I read your post, and went no further. As in, I have read none of the responses.

Look at this as a blessing in disguise. This is your competition for a better paying, home more often, maybe own your own truck with your own Authoriy one day deal.

Again, look at this as a blessing. Do your time, find a good carrier, save your pennies and join the few, the proud, the Independent O/O's!!!

Some of you are laughing!

Don't.

And Dok, quit crunching numbers, and put your know everything attitude away. You are dealing with people that are at the ends of their rope. A normal person does not go into trucking. Most will not last more than a few weeks.

Suck it up, and keep your pie hole shut. Be concerned for yourself. Because once you are out HERE, it is every man for himself

I could tell a few stories."

Hell, you can probably hear me laughin' from where you are..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: