LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
The story I've heard is the two owners married each other. :shock:
If that's the case, here's hoping that one of them is owned by a female.... :shock: :lol:
Old 12-16-2006, 03:23 PM

I talked to Melton once, I think the turnoff was their milemaker and cpm.... :x Or was it the Hometime? i think the first more than the second.... Also, I think they have 65 mph trucks...
Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglio
I talked to Melton once, I think the turnoff was their milemaker and cpm.... :x Or was it the Hometime? i think the first more than the second.... Also, I think they have 65 mph trucks...
More than likely its "hometime"...like with most companies. I believe they get paid practical miles as well, and get tarp pay of $40 even when throwing a smoketarp.

Their trucks are 70mph...cuz they pass me!

In all the Melton drivers I've spoken to over the years, mostly in CFI terminals... I can't say I ever heard one badmouth the company.

The daughter of the founder of CFI married the son of the founder of Melton, hence the close relationship between the two companies. They're not married anymore... But the drivers still get along and Melton still parks in CFI terminals, etc.

The drop yard in El Paso is 100% paved and secure, with full time security. They even have a Porta-john there for use :shock: 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:53 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

My brother works with Melton. He goes out for months at a time before going home (I'm pretty sure this is his choice, but I could be wrong as I never asked), but when he asks to get home they do get him routed within a week.

His big complaint is they DO NOT DISPATCH ON WEEKENDS, so he sits a lot. Some weeks he runs his ass off, other weeks he gets only about 1000 miles. It could be winter freight, I'm not sure whats going on.

He is sticking it out there at least until he gets the rest of his sign on bonus, and who knows maybe he will stay longer. Hard to tell with him, hes happy one day, pissed the next. LOL

He went there with only a few mos experience (left from CR England) and got a huge rate increase in his pay (but then again, England don't pay chit). I know you do get paid every two weeks at Melton (that sucks, I like weekly settlements).

He also said you have to tarp just about every load. It was tough at first and took him hours, but now he is fairly quick at it. They won't let you drive if chains are required (you will be fired he said) so again, if your stuck in the snow you have no choice but to sit.

His truck is good, never has had a breakdown in the past 5 mos he's been there. His truck goes 70+, but he says the new ones all go at 65 so hes refusing to turn his in even though his dispatch keeps sending him messages asking him to turn the truck in (he says a new truck will make him sick from the plastic smells, lol). See what happens on that.. YOu will have a qualcomm on the truck, no biggie. He hates his so often puts a quarter on the antenna to disrupt the signal when he dosen't want to be bothered.

That's about all I can tell ya.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Rookie

They are a great company top to bottom from what I've researched. Met a few of their drivers, and they had nothing but positive things to say about the company. Too bad I don't have much recent experience. I would jump on board in a heartbeat!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:23 AM

I spoke with recruiting at Melton also. It was a toss between Melton, CFI and Arrow. Melton wouldn't take me right away as they wanted me to accumulate some more experience. The recruiter was very cool without sounding like a used car sleaze. Funny; she actually told me that she thought it would be good to run for Swift for a while to get some current miles and then call her back. Boy, did she get an ear-full from me... :shock:

It was my feeling that this is an excellent company. And if Skywalker agrees, I would be even more inclined to think so....

BOL!

"Poverty of Imagination is not a Strength"

Old 01-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Melton Trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown
anyone familiar w/this company or have worked for them before? They're flatbed....what's the biggest difference (other than strapping & tarping) between van & flatbed. Any straightout difference for miles?
I work for Melton, I started with them back in Jan 04, if I would not have left for 4 months, I would have been with them for 3 yrs this month.
From my exp with Melton, they are a great company to work for, most drivers that leave, including myself, come back.
The management staff treats drivers with respect, IF you have any issues, they will work with you to fix them.
They treat the drivers like humans, you are not just another truck on the board or another number that can be replaced tomorrow.
They keep up their equipment, and go into depth when they inspect the trucks and trailers that come to the yards.
The PM can be done at the yards or on the road if you are not close to a yard.
The company is becoming more health aware and working to help the drivers stay healthy.
Melton is all about the drivers, during my time with Melton, I feel like I am part of close knit family.
I like the post earlier about CFI and Melton being a cut above. I feel they are as well.

I am not trying to recruit anyone, this is my own opinion about Melton, if you want to know even more, drop me a line, maybe we can even talk on the phone. I don't mind.

Charles
Old 01-27-2007, 12:39 AM

Hey Charkar:

How is freight with Melton right now? I would have a hard time believing they're not slow right now, as it seems everyone is...
Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown
Hey Charkar:

How is freight with Melton right now? I would have a hard time believing they're not slow right now, as it seems everyone is...
Oh, it is slow right now, I stated somewhere else about that. But then, every year it seems to slow between the end of November till the end of January.
After Christmas it slowed for me, last week was not bad, think I got about 2500 miles in. Usually I don't like to run more than 2800 - 3000 miles a week. I get my 34hr restart each weekend, relax, do clothes, the usual.
I figure it will start picking up next month just as it has the past few years.
But this January has been slow, I won't even try to say otherwise.
Charles
Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samael9
I spoke with recruiting at Melton also. It was a toss between Melton, CFI and Arrow. Melton wouldn't take me right away as they wanted me to accumulate some more experience. The recruiter was very cool without sounding like a used car sleaze. Funny; she actually told me that she thought it would be good to run for Swift for a while to get some current miles and then call her back. Boy, did she get an ear-full from me... :shock:

It was my feeling that this is an excellent company. And if Skywalker agrees, I would be even more inclined to think so....

BOL!
DUDE!!! How's it going???? Haven't heard from you in a while. I trust all is well with you?

I can tell you from everything I know about Melton, from having spoken to a number of their drivers over the years....they are a very good company!! Like Charkar says..... most of the drivers are like CFI drivers, if they ever leave they usually end up right back there That says volumes for a company in itself!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.