User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

your saying that gordon makes you pay to get there truck washed out of your own pocket?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
I don't understand all this advice about paying for your school yourself so you are not obligated. You pay for it, maybe you are reimbursed, maybe not. If you are reimbursed you have to stay with that company until it is payed off. In some instances you might be able to move to a second company and they will pay off the balance as long as you work for them. I haven't seen a third company willing to pick up tutition reimbursement. What's the difference, you pay nothing, you have to stay with the company until tuition is payed off. You are out nothing. You pay for the tution, you have to stay with the company until it is payed off. What's the big difference?

I'm not worried if I get paid back or not. Infact I don't want the money back, because I'm being retrained and the state is paying for it... I don't feel I should get the money back, just because I'm a honest person.
One thing I do like is going to a school where the ratio of student and teacher is very small say 3 to 6 students and 3 instructors , 4 weeks of actual learning and driving instead of 20 plus students and 2 or 3 instructors wondering if you got everything right and can be a safe driver.

If I wanted to I could pay for it out of my pocket, send the receipt to the state... get my money back , and have a company reimburse me for money spent out of pocket, and be ahead 4k. In fact it was suggested I do this, but I can't bring myself to do this.

Now if I could do this to my former employer I would think about it, just to get back at him.... " long story there "
Old 12-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
I don't understand all this advice about paying for your school yourself so you are not obligated. You pay for it, maybe you are reimbursed, maybe not. If you are reimbursed you have to stay with that company until it is payed off. In some instances you might be able to move to a second company and they will pay off the balance as long as you work for them. I haven't seen a third company willing to pick up tutition reimbursement. What's the difference, you pay nothing, you have to stay with the company until tuition is payed off. You are out nothing. You pay for the tution, you have to stay with the company until it is payed off. What's the big difference?
Also to add to this post. Your not gonna want to job hop your first year anywho, its just gonna make it harder to get a job somewhere else later. I dont see why everyone has a problem with the contracts. Free school, but you have to work for a company for a year....It will pay off in the end.

Its only a year!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Senior Board Member

i am sure there are schools up your way that have that ratio. i went to AIT in phoenix and I know they have a school in vegas. My class only had 4 people so we had alot of one on one time with the instructor
Old 12-12-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicxl
well like werner if you paid for your own school and was hired by werner they would pay 100 dollars a month to you school loan as long as you worked for them. So if they paid 100 and you were paying your payment the loand go paid off sooner but you had no obligation to stay with them
Thing about that tuition reimbursement though is that you're still paying it. Most recruiters WILL NOT TELL YOU you're getting a pay decrease for taking the reimbursement. Most companies take out (depending on length of imbursement period) 2 CPM off your pay for tuition reimbursement. You figure you run 10,000 miles in a month you pay OUT $200 and your loan institution gets paid $150. You lose out on $50. Thats a potential $600 a year you lose.

I always advise my drivers to steer AWAY from tuition reimbursement.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

well when i started the pay at werner was so low i would not have noticed
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
well when i started the pay at werner was so low i would not have noticed
Not a whole lot has changed then. lol. I had a team I tried to get to come work for me as STUDENTS making 20cpm each on all miles driven with $4,000 sign on...for students for crying out loud! They turned me down and went with Werner last month. They just called me about 5 minutes ago wanting to jump ship to over here. I have them coming in monday.

I just don't know what the Werner recruiters tells these people to sound so good.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Stay away from usx !!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Board Regular

My late husband drove as a O/O for System Transport for 13 years back in the late 70's to mid 80's. We were happy with them back then and I still see many of their flatbeds out on the road. TWT (Tinie Wenie Truckers) have been around for many years also but running just the west coast. Stop at the truck stop out there in the Tri-Cities and see if you catch them coming through to fuel and talk with a driver. Also you are not all that far from the main office in Spokane. Just drive up and check them out.

Soladad
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 AM

Quote:
your saying that gordon makes you pay to get there truck washed out of your own pocket?
Basically...YES.
The policy there was that the company did not pay for truck washes but it was the driver's responsibility to keep his power unit clean.
Mine typically only got a bath whenever it got rained on and I got major demerit points in the eyes of management for it.