User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Good to hear from you guys, and that all is going good for you. I am expecting a call on Monday, I hope 8) . When I last spoke to my recruiter , She said I was looking good for the class starting January 8th, which is just three weeks away, with Christmas being next Monday and New Year's day the following Monday. She had said that they take the waiting list and go through it on Monday and start calling people, if they reach you they will ask if you are ready to go, if the cannot get in touch they bypass your name and move on, so needless to say I gave them all of the telephone numbers I could be reached at tomorrow. I hope I am back on here tomorrow evening saying that I am finally scheduled to go !
I appreciate your help and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Stay safe and look forward to meeting you guys out on the road.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:29 AM
Rookie

Been with Maverick about a month now. I have yet to see less than 2800 miles in a week and still getting home every weekend. Hope that helps!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Rookie

We'll I'm officially hired as well. Did you guys go through orientation with Ed too? I start with my trainer after New Years. I'm sure I'll see you guys around.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzy
Congrads man. I'm waiting on a trainer too. I too was quoted Jan. or Feb. I already have my CDL but, from my understanding they are running short on Trainers.

I live in Pensacola, Fl. I'll probably go with another outfit until I get the call from them. Hopefully I can impress enough so that I won't have to go through training a second time.

Maybe I'll see you in orientation.. Cheers
Maverick wont really give you time to impress them. They already know the training you will get before you step in the door, they just havent told you yet. Besides, I just got out of my trainers truck and it wasnt one of those horror stories like Ive heard time and again. My trainer sat in the passengers seat the whole time, only getting up to get him or me something. And ya, after a few weeks with him, he would doze off in the seat, but I didnt care, he was still right there if I needed him. And he admitted dozing off and said if he didnt trust me he wouldnt do it.
Get all the Maverick training you can because there have been new guys come in there that said they had 10 yrs in flatbed before they came to Maverick, and openly admitted that after seeing the proper way of securement, they had done everything wrong for the past 10 yrs. Anyway, BOL
Old 12-28-2006, 01:57 PM

I got the call from Maverick Yesterday, and start their school Feb. 12..
Old 12-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender8700
Goodluck. I seriously mean that. Usually if you attend orientation you pretty much have the job. I felt like our orientation was an episode of survivor, people were leaving nearly every day. Great place but they make sure you're up for it before you even see a truck.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I keep hearing about people leaving during orientation. Why is that?
I Mean my wife and I thought about this ( otr trucking ) long and hard, and also discussed it with the kids. My plan is to get 2 to 3 years under my belt then try to get a local job hauling tanks. But even that could change, meaning if I really like who I work for and they can give me something that I'm home more often like a dedicated route, I'll stick with them.

I research people I want to work for in the pretext that this company is the one I will retire from. I'd still be at my last job I had for the last 15 years if I didn't get hurt ( on the job ) and would have retired from there.

Not a trucker yet, but I'm studying and plan to start school in Jan. or Feb.
This site has been a tremendous help for both me and my wife. Learning what to look for , what questions to ask that I didn't think about, and company information ( tho I don't trust all information I read on here, so I hit rest stops and truck stops to get word of mouth information from prospective companies I think I want to work for )
Old 12-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Board Regular

People will leave orientation for many different reasons. Some leave on their own and the company will ask some to leave. Maverick seems to do a pretty good job of screening potential hires BEFORE they bring them to orientation which is something a lot of companies don't seem to do. It has never made since to me why these companies don't do the research ahead of time, but many don't.

If Maverick brings you to orientation, your more than likely going to be hired unless you have hidden something in your application and they find it..or you fail to pass their agility tests. There were a couple guys in my group that couldn't get past the blood pressure check. A couple more failed the agility test. It is quite thorough, but nothing that anyone in decent shape can't handle. I am far from physically fit myself and over 40 y/o, but I had no problems with the agility tests.

I guess you have to look at it like this. These companies are bringing in several people a week to orientation. Maverick does around 20-25 most weeks I think. There are going to be a few that go back home for some reason, whether it be a health reason, something in their background or they just don't like what they see when they get there. Flatbedding is work!

I guess my best advice to any new guy with ANY company would be to be truthfull with them before you leave for orientation. If you try to hide something from them and they find it, your history. Also, get your blood pressure checked before you go! Find out what is allowable and be sure that you don't have a problem. One of the guys that got sent home for high blood pressure in my group looked like the healthiest guy in the room. I couldn't believe it!

Good Luck!

Arky
Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Congratulations tinbender!! You'll be glad you went with Maverick!

Arky
Old 12-30-2006, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

I know this isn't exactly the right place, but does anybody know if Maverick offers tuition reimbursement if they are your second employer after school? They told my husband to call after he had 6 months experience, but we're not sure how that works with the tuition reimbursement