User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzy
Congrads man. I'm waiting on a trainer too. I too was quoted Jan. or Feb. I already have my CDL but, from my understanding they are running short on Trainers.

I live in Pensacola, Fl. I'll probably go with another outfit until I get the call from them. Hopefully I can impress enough so that I won't have to go through training a second time.

Maybe I'll see you in orientation.. Cheers
I also live in Pensacola. What kind of home time did they say you can expect?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Rookie

Quadzy and 302dad, I used to live in Pensacola too back in 1986 through 1988. I used to live in the Royal Arms apartments right next to Sacred Heart hospital on Ninth Avenue, Just North of Brent lane. I don't remember the name, but there was a mall across the street and Pensacola Junior college was next to that. I'll be looking for both of you in Arkansas.
Thanks Fred for the good thoughts, a little good luck never hurt anyone.
Let's all keep this Maverick thread going :!: :!: :!:
Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Rookie

302dad, they said that 98% of the fleet is home weekends.............. I spoke to a Maverick driver yesterday, his name is wonderman, he has been with them since August this past year and said they have been very good about living up to that. He did say that sometimes he gets home late on Friday night/Saturday morning and may have to leave on Sunday afternoon, but they have been very good about getting him home. Everything he had to say about Maverick was positive. It's what made decide to wait for the school until Jan. or Feb. instead of going somewhere else.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Rookie

Big B,
The mall is Cordova Mall and the Royal Arms Apts. were purchased by Sacred Heart Hospital and torn down this year.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Rookie

I just finished CDL training Wed. and am accepted at Maverick. Talked to my recruiter and was told it would be a 2-4 week wait to go to orientation. They put me on the waiting list as soon as I had my CDL. Can't wait to get started. Maybe we will be there at the same time. Good luck
Old 12-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302dad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzy
Congrads man. I'm waiting on a trainer too. I too was quoted Jan. or Feb. I already have my CDL but, from my understanding they are running short on Trainers.

I live in Pensacola, Fl. I'll probably go with another outfit until I get the call from them. Hopefully I can impress enough so that I won't have to go through training a second time.

Maybe I'll see you in orientation.. Cheers
I also live in Pensacola. What kind of home time did they say you can expect?
Cool. Yeah Royal Arms bit the dust when Hurricane Ivan came through here. They quoted me home everyweekend; regional.. But I'm probably going all 48 at first.

I've been contacted by May Trucking company who has a terminal here in Pensacola. I may go with them until a stop opens up with Maverick. Since there training is performance based I may be able to significantly reduce my time training lets say to one week by going with May. Have you guys heard anything negative or positive about May..

I have already heard they like for you to stay out a min. of 3wks before heading home.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Board Regular

Congratulations Big B!! I'm a new driver at Maverick. I have been home each and every weekend since I started training. I was lucky eough to get a trainer that lived within driving distance though. You may or may not be so lucky. Once your in your own truck, they will get you home for the weekends...and yes, Knoxville should be a VERY good location for you. I think you will get home for weekend very consistently and you will also find it easier to keep the out of route miles down while getting home...this helps too. They like to see a low out of route % and it's better for you also.

I think the 2300-2500 miles is very attainable, although you probably won't do it right off the bat. When you first get into your own truck, the securement and tarping is a bit overwhelming and takes up a lot of your 14 hr window, thus reducing your miles. This does get better and your miles will improve. I have also noticed that I seem to be getting a lot of runs in the 1000-1400 mile range. I can only suspect that this may be to help out with the miles a bit. You get to spend some time behind the wheel.

While out with my trainer, their freight seemed to be a little slow in places, but ever since I've been in my own truck, they've worked the living crap out of me!...lol.

Good Luck!!

Arky
Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Rookie

I spoke to my recruiter Friday and was told I was looking good for a class starting the 8th of January. Hopefully that will come true. Every thing they have told me so far has come true so I don't have any reason not to believe them.
Quadzy, I haven't heard any thing about May, but the length of the training shouldn't be the deciding factor. The more you can get the better your chances are for success. I don't know if you are married or not, but even being single, three weeks is along time to be out, and it would probably stretch out beyond that. What ever you choose,,,, I wish you the best! :wink:

Arky, I am going out on a limb here,,,,, do you live in Arkansas? :? I was just curious as to what loads you have had to this point and if they were tarped or not, what the origins and destinations were, what kind of experiences did you have loading and unloading? How's the equipment? I will keep things up to date here, and keep up with what's going on. Keep the shiny side up and be safe....

[/quote]
Old 12-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Board Regular

Yes I'm from Arkansas..northeast AR.

Here are the trips I can think of:

Grenada, MS to Indianapolis, IN
Terre Haute, IN to Wheeling, WV
Wheeling, WV to Ft. Smith, AR
Ft. Smith, AR to Sanford, NC
Sanford, NC to Kansas City, MO
Kansas City, MO to Chicago, IL
Indianapolis, IN to Brownsville, TX
Laredo, TX to Tulsa, OK
Ft. Smith, AR to Louisville, KY
Louisville, KY to Clayton, NJ
Clayton, NJ to Cleveland, OH
Cleveland, OH to Oklahoma City, OK
Acme, TX to Montgomery, AL
Decatur, AL to Muskogee, OK

These are just loaded trips. Deadhead is paid also. I hear drivers complaining if they get a long deadhead, that just tells me that the load planners are willing to eat the deadhead to keep me running. The deadhead miles pay the same as loaded and to me are heck of a lot easier to run..plus the great fuel mileage=helping out on the fuel bonus . I love deadhead miles!...LOL. I'm trying to get them to just let me run around empty all the time, but no luck so far! LOL

As for tarps, all but 2 of those loads were tarped. The tarps are a challenge. I can tell that my speed and quality are improving though. In fact, last week I had a TMC driver ask about a couple of things I had done. He wanted to do his the same way, but didn't have a grasp on it yet. I've had a couple of people now call for me on he CB and compliment me for the tarp job. That's when you know you must have got it right!..LOL. It just takes time and a LOT of patience, but at some point you know what you want to do and how to do it quickly. I still have a lot of learning to do, but it's coming around. Maverick drivers are real good about helping each other too...especially once they find out your the new guy. I've had a couple that just about tarped the loads for me...I had to explain to one of them that I really needed to be doing at least part of this on my own!..LOL. I'm guessing that 90% of the time, you will have other Maverick drivers loading at the same place you do...as well as TMC and all the other flatbed trucks.

Hope this helps, Arky
Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Board Regular

well, I am with my trainer and I have one more day with him and then I go to Little Rock for more securement training and then test out. Even though my trainer didnt get a load Friday and was held out for the weekend to get a load and get me to Little Rock, he still got 2477 miles for the week. And hes getting between 2300 to 2500 miles since Ive been with him. But I know it is going to be real slow until the end of the year because a lot of places are either closing or slowing drastically down. Hope that helps and Ill keep you posted