User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 03:23 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If you have no CDL and go to Schnieder I would think twice about the Green Bay training facility unless you have a little experience.

The class sizes used to be around 30, now they are up tp 85-100 students every week. The "Jump Start" training is no more. The training is 2 weeks with "Jump Start" you had an extra week, but they got rid of that.

Of the 14 days you are in Green Bay you drive 8 days, of those 8 days you will most likely be with 3 students, each getting about 2-3 hours a day of driving(this includes pre-trip, coupling and uncoupling).
I am hearing 15%-30% of each class gets sent home.

It seems kind of backwards........

Increase the class sizes from 30-40 to 80-90 students arriving every Friday

Decrease the length of training by 1 week??

The other training locations do however have far fewer students.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Rookie

Nope can't say that I've gotten any closer to a Schneider than driving by on the street.

I haven't been in Donnie's sister house either-Just wondered if you had :P
Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 AM
Rookie

I actually ran into a potential driver at a Wendy's in Ashwaubenon (where the training academy is located) and he was headed for home. He had done his stint in training with about 75 other people and they hired like 14, the rest were sent home to "practice". I have to tell you that I have been driving tractor trailer for about 20 years and it makes me cringe when I come upon a trainee driver around the area....it really seems to me to be a dangerous practice. (Although they are never moving fast enough to really damage anything) Taking people that may not even know how to shift a car let alone a vehicle that can tip the scales at close to 90,000#, it just seems like you'd be asking for trouble.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I went thru their training program back a couple of years ago. Their training was good at the Dallas site. No complaints there. Got my CDL, and went out to be with my OTR trainer.

What a dirtbag. He had two of us training with him, and all it seem like he wanted is the lumper pay that we worked our a$$e$ for since he was on a Family Dollar account. The truck always stank, no A/C during the summer months.... I had enough after 5 days out with him, and got out of his truck, called back to Dallas, and let them know I will not be getting back into his truck ever, and asked for a new trainer. They decided to let me go at that point.

I'm sure I just hit the jackpot with that driver, because most of the drivers I talked to that was working for Schnieder seem to be good people. I hope no-one else have to go thru that.

Now, a couple of weeks later, they did call wanting their $3500 for the training, and they threaten to sue me for it. I smiled to myself, and told them if they did sue, I would counter-sue for the one year employment they promised me in their contract. They told me they would get back with me.

I haven't heard from them since.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Now, a couple of weeks later, they did call wanting their $3500 for the training, and they threaten to sue me for it. I smiled to myself, and told them if they did sue, I would counter-sue for the one year employment they promised me in their contract. They told me they would get back with me.

I haven't heard from them since.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-29-2006, 04:45 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandalli Moon
I actually ran into a potential driver at a Wendy's in Ashwaubenon (where the training academy is located) and he was headed for home. He had done his stint in training with about 75 other people and they hired like 14, the rest were sent home to "practice".
WOW.......Many of the ones getting sent home also have a nice bill of $2,000-$3,000.

Imagine 30-60 people a week owing $2,000-$3,000 X 51 weeks a year even though a lot of the money wont be recovered it is a brilliant little scheme to make $$$$$.

I hear companys like Maverick have like 10 students at a time I have heard some have even 6-8 per week. These companys seem to focus more on doing everything they can to TRAIN students instead of using masses of students who signed contracts to rasise money.

I understand training costs money and everyone who goes is not able to handle driving a truck but 80 students a week is extreme and safety is compromised in such short training.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
The class sizes used to be around 30, now they are up tp 85-100 students every week. The "Jump Start" training is no more. The training is 2 weeks with "Jump Start" you had an extra week, but they got rid of that.

Of the 14 days you are in Green Bay you drive 8 days, of those 8 days you will most likely be with 3 students, each getting about 2-3 hours a day of driving(this includes pre-trip, coupling and uncoupling).
I am hearing 15%-30% of each class gets sent home.

It seems kind of backwards........

Increase the class sizes from 30-40 to 80-90 students arriving every Friday

Decrease the length of training by 1 week??

The other training locations do however have far fewer students.
WOW! I went to school full-time for 6 weeks Mon-Fri 7AM-5PM and I didn't think that was enough time!!

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell
Old 12-02-2006, 12:51 PM

All compaines has dirt bag trainers, idiot drivers, and some idiot policies.

Lately it seems to me I have seen more stupid Schneider drivers. I got up the other morning in a rest area in Maryland and was blocked in by a Schneider driver. I knocked on his truck and the driver told me he couldnt move his truck for another 3 hours since he was on a 10 hour break. It took a call to the 800 number to get him to move. What a moron.

I know several cool Schneider drivers but with the state of the industry they seem to get more than thir share of idiots.

HT
Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandalli Moon
I actually ran into a potential driver at a Wendy's in Ashwaubenon (where the training academy is located) and he was headed for home. He had done his stint in training with about 75 other people and they hired like 14, the rest were sent home to "practice".
WOW.......Many of the ones getting sent home also have a nice bill of $2,000-$3,000.

Imagine 30-60 people a week owing $2,000-$3,000 X 51 weeks a year even though a lot of the money wont be recovered it is a brilliant little scheme to make $$$$$.

I hear companys like Maverick have like 10 students at a time I have heard some have even 6-8 per week. These companys seem to focus more on doing everything they can to TRAIN students instead of using masses of students who signed contracts to rasise money.

I understand training costs money and everyone who goes is not able to handle driving a truck but 80 students a week is extreme and safety is compromised in such short training.
Yes, but figure 1/2 to 2/3 of the debt will be noncollectable. We are largely talking about people living hand to mouth with poor credit.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Board Regular

I like smaller companies. I see all these stories about trucks with no A/C and crap. I remember this summer the fan in my truck didn't work at full speed, it still worked though as did the A/C. I wrote it up on a VI just for the hell of it. To my surprise the next week the truck went into the shop and boy did the fan work good when I got it back. Smaller joints are the way to go if you find a good one.