User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
He pulled over once during his trip today to go to the bathroom, and got scolded over satellite that he should be running!
This part would tick me off. Me being the smart mouth italian I can be at times, would haved replied " OK ... Next time I need to use the rest room I'll just :dung: in my pants , box it up, send it UPS to you with a bill for new pants " :twisted:
Old 12-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
He pulled over once during his trip today to go to the bathroom, and got scolded over satellite that he should be running!
This part would tick me off. Me being the smart mouth italian I can be at times, would haved replied " OK ... Next time I need to use the rest room I'll just :dung: in my pants , box it up, send it UPS to you with a bill for new pants " :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :?

Several years ago he probably would have told them something similar. Of course ..back then he probably wouldn't have made it through training without killing his loud mouth arrogant trainer :shock: He's trying to do everything he can, but still not pleasing them.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Board Regular

i will make this short the one that has ruined T/A is Russell Johnn'y right hand man in charge of day to day op's Johnny himself is great,but all it take's is one bad apple to spoil the cart and it happen's to be Russell nuff said.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

good luck and god bless
Old 12-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: if he likes reefers he should check

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
reefer companies pay good money like central refrigeration and southern refrigeration, honey, trans am is a big company! good luck and god bless
We looked into both of those, and they definitely don't pay better than what he has now. Reefer is definitely not the better end of pay, but we knew that going in, it had come down to taking what we could get. He's not jumping ship until he absolutely has to before he can get in with Maverick, who he wants. He's wanted flatbed since the beginning, but wants to get trained right.
I'm not your honey, and trans am is not big, its decent sized but compared to some others I sure wouldn't call 1000 drivers BIG, let alone huge which is what I said. Nowhere near 10 trucks run by an owner op either...but still.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Board Regular

Tell him to stick to his guns! It's his ass and CDL on the line, not theirs! A lot of dispatchers at 'training companies' know the drivers are new to the industry and intentionally push them to do things that they know they shouldn't be pushing them to do. :evil: If he feels he can not legally and safely deliver a load within the HOS, he should not accept it. Most dispatchers will understand and either reschedule the delivery time or assign another load. What I've found is they tend to get upset if you say you can't make the delivery time AFTER you've accepted the load. Also, the next time dispatch gives him so much as one ounce of BS about his HOS to tell them he'd be more than happy to contact Safety on a three way call to discuss the matter. :wink: That generally shuts dispatchers up immediately and brings them round to your way of thinking. However, it also pisses them off so he may end up with a steady diet of overnighters or lots of sitting for a week or so. :lol: Personally, I won't even consider running reefer again until they change the HOS regulations back to where you can 'freeze' your 14 hour day by going in the sleeper for two hours or more and I doubt I'd do it even then. I've become spoiled by the obscene amount of drop and hook I do now.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:58 PM

simple solution, take the 34 and run the load according to how he wants to, Dispacth can not make him drive and as long as he gets the load here on time, they can't do a thing.
Truth be told, there is no way I sit 150 miles away from consignee out of hours, No way not happening, that load would be in the dock and off. once I del then I will sit. Thats just me.

I hate to say it but trucking is all about making decsions, No one can make u do something u dont want to do. 650 can be done in 10hrs as long as u keep the door close. it wont be easy but its doable.

madii'swife, I am not your husband, but I would put my next 3 paychks on it, that your husband would have drove that trk 150mi and out of hours if he was headed home to see his family. I am not trying to bash you or your husband but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get the JOB done.

I know I may get a lil flack for this but its only the unwritten rule of trucking(well I just wrote it down). Take it for what its worth..
Old 12-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
Tell him to stick to his guns! It's his ass and CDL on the line, not theirs! A lot of dispatchers at 'training companies' know the drivers are new to the industry and intentionally push them to do things that they know they shouldn't be pushing them to do. :evil: If he feels he can not legally and safely deliver a load within the HOS, he should not accept it. Most dispatchers will understand and either reschedule the delivery time or assign another load. What I've found is they tend to get upset if you say you can't make the delivery time AFTER you've accepted the load. Also, the next time dispatch gives him so much as one ounce of BS about his HOS to tell them he'd be more than happy to contact Safety on a three way call to discuss the matter. :wink: That generally shuts dispatchers up immediately and brings them round to your way of thinking. However, it also pisses them off so he may end up with a steady diet of overnighters or lots of sitting for a week or so. :lol: Personally, I won't even consider running reefer again until they change the HOS regulations back to where you can 'freeze' your 14 hour day by going in the sleeper for two hours or more and I doubt I'd do it even then. I've become spoiled by the obscene amount of drop and hook I do now.
He gets some drop and hook, but not near enough! :lol: The problem with not "accepting" a load that he can't run is that he's forced dispatch, he doesn't have a choice on his runs. He's always kept his fleet manager informed when he knows he won't be able to make a run, as soon as he knows. And she knew yesterday he probably wouldn't make this one.
I've mentioned the calling safety thing to him, and he says he's mentioned that once, when they wanted him to drive exhausted because he'd been on duty almost 14 hours. We're fully expecting after his last couple run ins with them to get crappy runs and sitting for a little bit, but we'll see. Monday being a holiday sure isn't helping his case.
Out of curiousity flybynight, who do you work for?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Board Regular
Default problem is is maverick auto shift?

is maverick automatic? cuz after driving trans am they are all autos and he will have limited himself to auto shift only.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob
simple solution, take the 34 and run the load according to how he wants to, Dispacth can not make him drive and as long as he gets the load here on time, they can't do a thing.
Truth be told, there is no way I sit 150 miles away from consignee out of hours, No way not happening, that load would be in the dock and off. once I del then I will sit. Thats just me.
It would be, but they never should have given him a load that was originally due 7 hours after he got hours back. There was absolutely no way to make that run legally, especially if he had taken the 34. If he had taken the 34, he would have had 8 hours to deliver the load, not 10. His truck is governed at 68, receiver closed at noon, he drove all 10 hours, door closed except one bathroom break. He did his best with a load that never should have been his.

Quote:
I hate to say it but trucking is all about making decsions, No one can make u do something u dont want to do. 650 can be done in 10hrs as long as u keep the door close. it wont be easy but its doable.
doable, yes. But not in heavy fog for 3/4 of the way, and tied up in accident traffic for an hour. He has done close to that in that amount of time, but you have to have ideal circumstances, which he just did NOT.

Quote:
madii'swife, I am not your husband, but I would put my next 3 paychks on it, that your husband would have drove that trk 150mi and out of hours if he was headed home to see his family. I am not trying to bash you or your husband but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get the JOB done.
He is still trying to find the balance between doing what he has to do, and keeping a clear conscience and being able to look himself in the mirror every night. However, I wish I were a betting person, because if he ran out of hours 150 miles away from us, we would be going to get him, or he would be waiting, end of story. He has SAT that close to us, read back to the Rockwall story. We went to him, not expected him to drive illegally to us. Each to their own, and I do understand your point and he is wrestling with where the line is for him.