User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Can't answer all your questions but maybe a few. I went through the Swift school in Phoenix a couple of years ago and then drove a year for them keeping my record clean. They will get you home every 12 days or so for a couple of days but not every week unless dedicated. The school in Phx was pretty good and my trainer was excellent ( 5ys with them with last 3 as O/O).
They gave me 2000 - 3000 ms / wk depending on the time of yr with take home pay of only 500+ 1st 6 mos going to 650+ 2nd 6mo. After my yr was up and my loan was repaid I could pretty much go anywhere.
Now take home is 900+ so I think they were a good entry for me.
good luck
Old 11-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I would not hire on with any carrier that pays drivers HHG miles, such as Swift. You'll end up getting rooked an average of 10% off your hub miles with said companies. That's more than a whole MONTH out of the year you'll drive for FREE!!!

Do yourself a favor and seek out carriers that pay Practical Miles.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:55 AM
Rookie

Okay, so I'm going to go to school on my own, I think it will expand my options greatly. Which leads to my next question, what makes a school good?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Rookie

Just a quick note if you go on the great lakes regional account (which you can goto as soon as you are done with the six weeks out with trainer) you should be able to go home every weekend.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Just a word of advice with going to a private school. As soon as you get to any company after school you will go through their orientation and the first thing they will tell you is "to forget what you learned in school'. The reason is that schools help you get prepared for a CDL, but dont really teach you anything else for working full time. The skills you get at a school will put you ahead of the permit holders at an orientation but you will have to learn how to operate the company's equipment, their way.

I'm not saying what you learn in school is useless, just different from the way a company will want you to operate their equipment, logs, backing, etc.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid89
Okay, so I'm going to go to school on my own, I think it will expand my options greatly. Which leads to my next question, what makes a school good?
Look at the companies that you would like to hire on with that take newbees and find out what their requirements are for the schools credit hrs. Then try to find a school that meets those requirements. Like some one else said, it does not matter what you learn in the school. When the company gets you into their training they will teach you the way THEY want you to be. All the school is good for is getting your CDL.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Rookie
Default Re: swift tenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstephens
going ther nov 8 dont know how many times i read about all the bad things about defferent co swift for one but figured if you want to get into the business you have to start somewhere better than paying 6.000 to roadmaster type co. also figured you can stay with anybody 13 months at least i hope lol
Hey !
My name is Al Black from Pa I don't live far from Swift's one terminal there in Jonestown Pa.I'm a 60 year old driver looking for a driving job
thought I would give them a try pulling flatbed, if u are working there please let me know how it is ok email me if u want [email protected]