Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Michigan Swift drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/21895-michigan-swift-drivers.html)

koolaid89 11-03-2006 05:04 AM

Michigan Swift drivers

I'm supposed to head to TN in 3 weeks, I'm just looking for some imput.

downriverrob 11-03-2006 05:08 AM

in my honest opinion, find another company to go with.

MADLUX 11-03-2006 10:35 AM

Have you ever driven for swift before? Nine times out of ten the answer is no.

Downriverrob, swift is alot like any other trucking companies. It is a good place to start to get experience for a year or two, then if possable move on to a better paying company, or if your happy stay were you are at. 90% of it is the attitude you come in to the job with, stay positive and work hard, you will do just fine.

Also dont pay attention to alot of the swift, schinder, cfi, etc. etc. bashing. Alot of these guys just go on rumors, jokes and "what they claim" to hear, and take them seriously for one reason or anther.

Keep you head up, stay positive, and you will do good. 8)

rickstephens 11-03-2006 12:31 PM

swift tenn

going ther nov 8 dont know how many times i read about all the bad things about defferent co swift for one but figured if you want to get into the business you have to start somewhere better than paying 6.000 to roadmaster type co. also figured you can stay with anybody 13 months at least i hope lol

fireman932003 11-03-2006 05:22 PM

I have never worked for Swift, however, I have talked to many many Swift drivers, and out of all of those I have only found one that was unhappy with the company.

koolaid89 11-06-2006 05:58 AM

Thanks guys, I'm still on the fence. I appreciate the good words, and I know what you mean about everyone bashing, I've noticed not many people have good things to say about many companys. I guess I'll throw out a few questions and see what you guys come up with. And please if you haven't worked for swift or dont have close ties I respect ur opinion but keep the assumptions to your self.

1 what can I realisticly expect to bring home weekly, I want to drive as much as possible it doesnt make much sense to be gone all that time and only drive 8 hrs a day.
2 is it realistic to expect to be home every 5-6 days
3 does anyone know what the max blood pressure is
4 I've heard of people waiting for 2 weeks plus for a instructor recently, has anyone heard about this?

PackRatTDI 11-06-2006 11:11 PM

One benefit of working with Swift is the chance to get on a dedicated fleet. I encounter a lot of Swift drivers on Wal-Marts dedicated fleet out of Los Lunas, NM and they're pretty happy with the consistent miles and home time.

koolaid89 11-09-2006 06:20 AM

Should I just go to school on my own? and pary for a local job? some help would be great the clock is ticking......

fireman932003 11-09-2006 07:11 PM

If you paid for the School yourself it would be helpful to you. More doors would open up that way. You would not be a company slave for yrs! Going local is a crap shoot this early in your career. Most local companies want one yrs experience. You do find the occasional job that will take you with no experience. Just keep your eyes open. My suggestion would be to get some OTR then look for a local gig. More doors open up that way! BOL

koolaid89 11-11-2006 05:05 AM

thanks for all your imput fireman, its greatly appreciated.