User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Glad to hear you got on with a company. Funny thing about CDL's....they get more valuable with time.

Just keep that job for about a year, and the next time you need a job, all of those companies who wouldn't hire you will be beating down your door.

A couple of things.

Don't do anything stupid while your on the road. This first year will be hard enough as it is. Driving right will only help you. Nothing is so important to lose you life over by driving while your tired.

Leave the lizards alone. Most of them are ugly, anyways. If your in need, goto www.backpage.com, and check out those. Chances are, you won't be jacked or even shot as some drivers messing with the lizards.

Good luck, and safe driving.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 11-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Board Regular

Swift really isn't that bad. I started out there in 96, I never had any problems until I went local for them.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I talked to a Swift driver yesterday and he said he likes it. He said it's people that can't get along with others that don't like it. Out of 8000 there are a few that like it there.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Board Regular

I quit Swift in July. I worked there for 28 months. I did driveaway for them for 19 months [hauled new trucks-not trailers]. I have looked in vain for three months to find the benefits that I had with them.

Don't let these experienced drivers tell you that there are better companies. If there are they may pay higher but don't have the benefits I had.

Here's what I had....

Health Insurance with a $150 deductible. The average company has a $500 deductible. Prescription coverage $10 co-pay for generic meds, and $30 for brand name meds.

Rack on the back of my cab with a new tire. When a tire blew the mechanic would take it off install it and put the old one back on the back of the cab. We were supposed to return all the used tires to the shop. All the major carriers I have contacted want you to bring back the used tires but want you to bungie them down to the catwalk. I'm not sure that is even DOT legal.

Didn't move freight.

Didn't have to go to Canada.

Didn't have to do HazMat.

Didn't have to chain.

Had a brand new truck with an APU
. An APU is a generator that allows you to have heat/air without idling. These units are very expensive, they range between $3,500-$10,00 per unit. Hence, the reluctance of companies to spend that amount per truck. Although, in a few years Ispreading through the states. Wal-Mart has already put them in all their units. Wal-Mart D.C.s won't let you idle now while you're in their yards.

I have been hired by the following companies and haven't taken the offers.

May [Must chain in the west and due reefer in the east]
C.F.I. [Don't see them in Colorado much-probably wouldn't get
home often]
Crete [had optimized idle-can't do this due to asthma-optimized idle
only kicks the engine on about 3 times per hour]
A.N. Webber [had to move hot water heaters]
Auto Truck [back to hauling piggybacks & booms-wanted me to move
east]
Knight [too many reasons-not to go there!]
Voyager [Christian company in Denver-too many reasons not to go there]

Hence, when experienced drivers trash Swift I can assure you that none of them have looked around for 3 months and found nothing better.

Give Swift a shot. Every carrier has their b.s. that we have to put up with. It's just what b.s. you can put up with and what b.s. you don't want to put up with.

They were good to me and I'm probably going to call them back. You get what you give. Remember that when drivers trash you on the c.b., no one started in a triple digit truck, turn your radio off. The mature experienced drivers know better. We all started somewhere other than triple digit trucks. You can't argue with the idiots with these types of mentalities anyway they don't listen to what you say.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

thanks for all of the information guys. I was hired by Arrow.

I'm currently at Orientation now. and the 2nd day is over

So far i am very pleased with how things are ran here. The people who work here are down to earth and want to help you. And the trainers are top notch and are teaching me ways to adjust my mirrors that school NEVER touched.

And they are paying me $.034 CPM to start. I cant find that anywhere else.

The only downfall i see with this company is there benefits aren't that great, other than that i cant ask for more!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Rookie

34 cents a mile is decent for a rookie. I wouldn't move around too much for awhile, it doesn't look good. Than, hit the big companies around Utah, they pay well I have heard. A top notch driver receives 40 cents on up. Get those miles under your belt and no speeding or accident tickets.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:22 PM

congrats on coming on board with arrow! please keep us posted on how things are going with you. what did you think of orientation? i've heard a lot of good things about it from other folks on the board.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Rookie

Mike, i see you are from Harrisburg also there's alot of companies in our area for trucking maybe once you get your feet wet you can shop around close to home for a job i know in Carlisle theres Glen Moore and York has a few companies.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 PM

Hey..
Just got back to the hotel from my final day of orientation.

I cannont say more about this company, the instructors and the safety staff are phenomenal. The 1 week orientation was intense, alot of information, and it should have been longer but the way they have it set up is great.

The way they show us how to set the mirrors and how to use the convexes blew my mind, my school never even showed us how to use them

I will be waiting in the hotel over the weekend, Monday morning my trainer will pick me up here at the hotel and ill be out with him for 3 weeks , then come back do a few tests and get my truck!

If your looking for an awesome company, Defiantly check out Arrow!!