User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Werner or Convenant?

Hey guys,

There is a guy in my class who is only 21, and the only two schools that he was accepted into were Werner and Convenant, (poor guy, I wish these guys would of done there research BEFORE going in) anywho,... He has a 6 month old baby so he wants home time i'm guessing, but i'm sure he needs money, i feel bad for the guy, he doesn't have the internet so he can't do as much research as some people,....If YOU had a friend that wen't in and got himself into this kinda situation, what advice would you give him considering you've been around a time or two?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:16 AM
Board Regular
Default werner is best

werner will offer 150 mile radius runs they pay about $0.34 cpm and in training werner does pay $325 1-2 weeks, $350 3-4 weeks, $375 5-6 weeks and $400 7-8 weeks in training.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Werner

More options, dry van, flatbed, or temp controlled (reefer) without leaving the company. Initially, he's gonna have to get over seeing home much. BOL
Old 11-09-2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: where is he from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
email me I will get some info from you then talk to him also. he could go to swift or crst but those are horrible companies, at least at werner he can go to a trucking school of his choice for up to $5,000 dollars by the house and get home at least once a month. where is he from? does he want to team? i have sons that are 19 and 21 and is he a smoker or chewer?

werner isn't any better they just pay less than swift or crst . I drove for them for 14 months no way in hell could I have made it financially if I had bills to pay other than basic liability on my car insurance....with all the usual bills + a family forget it . Here's the basic math regional jobs at werner pay like 15/21 to start and don't increase much for about 10 yrs so with dead head miles you will be lucky to see 19 cpm as an average cpm and 2500 miles a week seems to be a-lot as a solo at werner ,so in the regional fleet $500 wk is the most you can count on .

The long haul division 48/Canada starting pay .26 cpm don't hold your breath for a cpm increase it takes 4 yrs to make .32 and 10 yrs to hit .35 and just like the regional fleet 2500 is the most you can hope to aspire to as a solo , and in reality with crappy runs werner has for it's solo drivers ...short mile ...nothing pre-assinged in a timely manner so you end up sitting waiting for a load hours after you have had a 10 hr break . the base of your trips will be 150-300 mile trips on the east coast ,and you don't receive any extra pay for driving the north east makes 2500 hundred more than many werner drivers ever average in fact this is why many driver quit Werner as they have a poor pay scale and the miles are crap as a solo in fact after talking to hundreds of Werner drivers I think the average werner solo driver is more like 2000 miles a week .

Now as far as hometime at werner thay do get you home...But if he has the bills of a family man he's not going to even be able to consider homtime at 15/21cpm or .26 cpm if he wants to feed his family :wink:
Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Rookie

If he is planning on doing all 48 otr for Werner, he can expect .26 a mile unless he takes the per diem, and then it drops to .25. Bring home pay between $600 to $800 a week and expect to run 2200 to 3000 miles a week. At least thats what I average running solo. I started this last April.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: where is he from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
email me I will get some info from you then talk to him also. he could go to swift or crst but those are horrible companies, at least at werner he can go to a trucking school of his choice for up to $5,000 dollars by the house and get home at least once a month. where is he from? does he want to team? i have sons that are 19 and 21 and is he a smoker or chewer?
Anothermic, be careful accepting any advice from this person. She hasn't been driving for any length of time and 99% of the time she hasn't any clue what she is talking about. :roll:

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilar
If he is planning on doing all 48 otr for Werner, he can expect .26 a mile unless he takes the per diem, and then it drops to .25. Bring home pay between $600 to $800 a week and expect to run 2200 to 3000 miles a week. At least thats what I average running solo. I started this last April.

I'm calling SHENANIGANS on 600-800 wk with what I know of what I and all other werners I have talked to during my 14 months working there . I drove 11 western for 6 months and 48 for 6-1/2 months and 6 weeks in training .

No he can expect to average 1800-2200 miles 2200 if he stays out for weeks at time ,as a few days home time every 17-21 days will drop a 2200 average to 2000 ... so he can expect to "GROSS" $468.00-520.00 per wk ...and take home "NET" $250.00-320.00 per week at Werner .

I don't see how you are "TAKING HOME" 600-800 a wk ...Lets go to the MATH to show you my confusion .

.26 cpm x 3000 miles= 780.00 gross ...after taxes ...680...after expenses ....580....this would be his net take home after running 3k miles a very rare amount of miles for a Werner solo driver to ever get . And how you ever " BROUGHT HOME" $800.00 net from a weeks work is beyond me ,as 3000k miles doesn't even "GROSS" you $800.00 :shock: :? :wink:

He will not see 3k miles at Werner on any frequency worth mentioning :wink:And to net 800 he would need to run over 4k miles at Werner :shock:

The math on 800 NET TAKE HOME...26x 4k miles $1040 (GROSS) not take home 'NET" one can easily expect to only net about 740 after weekly living expenses $100.00 and around 200 in taxes totaling $300.00 ,and 4k miles as a solo driver at Werner is like Santa Claus it don't exist :wink:

I'm not bagging Werner ...But as a Solo driver there isn't any money at Werner . And if you driver CHEAP team (STUDENT TRAINER) you will be out for 6 weeks at a time ,and running like a team with a "STUDENT" is a good way to have an accident ,as you will have to push the novice ,and you yourself will be lacking heavily in sleep all the time making you very susceptible to an accident due to fatigue this will happen because you will be logging your 10 hr break when for the most of that 10 hrs you will be watching the student. :wink:
Old 11-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

I can also add my opinion in here for I too used to slave, I mean drive for Werner. My best week this last time out with them was around 1250 miles. I don't exactly remember. It was over a month ago. I never seen a pay check over $300.00 with them.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Board Regular

There are ten thousand other companies out there . If you are getting 1250 miles a week you myswell work at Diary Queen and be home everyday . My worst week ever with Roehl was 2200 miles and I wa about to quit , If I ever would have gotten 1250 miles I would have run my truck into my dispatchers personal vehicle .
Old 11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
There are ten thousand other companies out there . If you are getting 1250 miles a week you myswell work at Diary Queen and be home everyday . My worst week ever with Roehl was 2200 miles and I wa about to quit , If I ever would have gotten 1250 miles I would have run my truck into my dispatchers personal vehicle .

Well, that is why I am not with them anymore! I am at Knight Transportation in Memphis TN now. Much better company!