User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default schwans foodservice

anyone hear of this company they called me today the deliver food to customers basepay 35000to 39000 was wondering if anyone heard anything on them
Old 10-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Rookie

tmuller02 i had an interview with them bout 4 weeks ago. if its the position i think it is, it is a sales position and is commision based.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Board Regular

They drive small yellow trucks. You will go into upper middle class and wealthy neighborhoods and sell busy housewives quick meals for their families.

The good thing is you will be home every night

The bad is the pay is based on commissions and bonuses :sad:

http://www.schwans.com/
Old 10-28-2006, 08:15 PM

I worked for them back in early 90's...

Yep, commission only and a lot of headaches, but once you learn your routes and your customers well, the paycheck ain't bad.

(Oh and low man on the totem pole gets the overnight routes to begin with)
Old 10-28-2006, 08:33 PM

why are they saying base pay 35000to 39000 i believe base is before commison
Old 10-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller02
why are they saying base pay 35000to 39000 i believe base is before commison
Why don't you ask them?

The only delivery job at Schwann that I know of that does not pay commission is delivering to the distribution warehouses. All route positions that I am aware of are commision sales.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Board Regular

I think the base pay is more like expected earnings. The drivers are comissioned based. The training pay you'll get during the first few weeks will probably be in the $700.00 a week range then you'll go to straight comission after training.

I did an unpaid ride along in 2000. You sign a liability paper and they explain some aspects of the job then you go out with a driver for the day. If they still do these I'd recommend it. The day that I did the ride along was about 15 hours long 7:30 am to 10:30 pm. and I left shortly after I got back to the depot. The driver I was with was still there and said he'd be there till after 11pm.

Some parts of the job seemed very good some aren't. I know they've tried to cut down the length of the days from when I done the ride along. They now target a 45 hour work week according to ads I've seen in the newspaper for them. Wether or not that happens I don't know.

Keep in mind unless you're in an area that has a lot of stay at home moms or retired people you're prime time is going to be between 4pm and 9pm when everybody gets home from work. It's not easy to hit all those houses in that short of a time frame. You'll have some stops during the day to the stay at home folks but nothing pressing. We did try a couple of cold calls to get new customers but didn't sell anything.

I don't know what the commission is now but I think it was 11% back then. The guy I was with did sell about $1500.00 that day so he made $165.00. I know they've tried to cut down on the drivers days so it's probably changed a lot from then. Remember my ride along was 6 years ago. Call them and ask if they have these and you'll get a better idea of the job.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Just doing the math $165 / 15hrs = $11 hr for what is essentially a hand muck intensive foodservice P&D route.

You can go work for McLane, Sysco, etc and do the same thing for better $.

The only way I could see making it work is if you had a lucrative area and build up a good base of customers.

Do you even need a CDL?

Ian
Old 10-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
I think the base pay is more like expected earnings. The drivers are comissioned based. The training pay you'll get during the first few weeks will probably be in the $700.00 a week range then you'll go to straight comission after training.

I did an unpaid ride along in 2000. You sign a liability paper and they explain some aspects of the job then you go out with a driver for the day. If they still do these I'd recommend it. The day that I did the ride along was about 15 hours long 7:30 am to 10:30 pm. and I left shortly after I got back to the depot. The driver I was with was still there and said he'd be there till after 11pm.

Some parts of the job seemed very good some aren't. I know they've tried to cut down the length of the days from when I done the ride along. They now target a 45 hour work week according to ads I've seen in the newspaper for them. Wether or not that happens I don't know.

Keep in mind unless you're in an area that has a lot of stay at home moms or retired people you're prime time is going to be between 4pm and 9pm when everybody gets home from work. It's not easy to hit all those houses in that short of a time frame. You'll have some stops during the day to the stay at home folks but nothing pressing. We did try a couple of cold calls to get new customers but didn't sell anything.

I don't know what the commission is now but I think it was 11% back then. The guy I was with did sell about $1500.00 that day so he made $165.00. I know they've tried to cut down on the drivers days so it's probably changed a lot from then. Remember my ride along was 6 years ago. Call them and ask if they have these and you'll get a better idea of the job.
I applied for a job with Schwans about 5 years ago and did one of those ride-alongs. I had just quit Pepsi due to some "issues" with management. I ended up not getting hired because the supervisor at that plant didn't feel I made sufficient eye contact with people. :roll:
Old 10-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Rookie

the training period is 5 weeks in class. there you will make 500 a week. then you get a truck with a partner. you go out in the morning to make your deliveries at bout 7:30. then at 3:00 you switch with your partner. he takes the truck wile you go knock on doors till 5:00. your partners day started at 1:00, knocking on doors. then the next week, you switch hours. you start at 1:00 to 3:00 knocking on doors and at 3:00 you take the truck till bout 10:00. each month of working, your pay drops 60.00 till your route brings in 4500 a week. then you get 9% of the gross revenue for the week. not a good situation. they cant hold on to drivers rite now. by the way, your givin a rout with less than 1,000 a week gross. so bout $590 a week to start in the truck.