User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Dawn,

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just couldn't resist. I just don't think you'll find these things guaranteed with any company.

The new list is better, but it will be tough to find at least 2750 miles/week consistently and not have any night appointments.

I don't know if flatbed is an option for you, but if so, you might look at Maverick or TMC. Maverick is Freightliners, but they are governed at 70 mph. TMC is mostly Pete's, but I think they are governed at 65 (might be wrong on that). You will have the occasional 2 or 4 AM appointment, but for the most part you will load and unload in the daytime. They will also offer you good consistent miles depending upon where you live.

Other than that, I know that Arnold is a lot of drop and hook, a buddy of mine works there. He seems to generally drop and hook early in the morning, but he may not get those kind of miles consistently.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Rookie

13 years.

I don't mind appointments up to like 12am. What i meant by night appointments are like 4oclock in the morning and stuff.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Kirshna
13 years.
With 13 years experience and a good record you should have your choice of companies. You may not get everything but you will stand a far better chance of coming close.

Now if you were a newbie I would say you are dreaming!

Really do your homework and look around before you jump into a company.

Best Wishes to you!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
13 years.

I don't mind appointments up to like 12am. What i meant by night appointments are like 4oclock in the morning and stuff.
If you have 13 years of experience, you already know not to go with reefers. Food warehouses seem to delight in setting appointment times at 2 AM or 4 AM, and sometimes, when you check in at 2 AM, you find that there is no one there to unload you till 7 AM. But you better check in on time. The company I'm leased onto may have appointment times at 6 AM, or as late as 10 PM. But it's dry-vans and the vast majority of customers have no one to receive beyond normal daylight hours. They just don't have a lot of drop and hook. Company trucks are governed at 68. Since I don't know where you live, I don't know if you would be anywhere along their lanes of travel.

I must admit, I really did enjoy the "PETER PAN TRANSPORTATION" bit that you triggered. Some of these folks really have a "subtle" way of getting their points across.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
13 years.

You got 13 years. You should by now know what is out there, and what company offers the best conditions.

Now, me, I'm considered a newbie, with less than 2 years. And i still have talked to enough drivers to get a general idea on what companies offer.

That being said, you should keep searching. Somebody can always use your experience.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 10-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Well Dawn, your list is optomistic for sure..I had to laugh at the peterpan comeback...

Now for serious, the only way I can see you will get what you desire is specialized or flatbed, and then you have those pesky old tarps and the debate then goes to tarp pay.

When I was still in the game, I owned Freightliners...never had a problem. I did not like the Kenworth I owned for awhile...I want to room and comfort of a big cab. I know I never liked dogging along like a lot of trucks do in the interest of safety and fuel...but get used to it. That is why we have great stereos to listen to.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I hit that 2,750 average weekly mile number quite often running food-grade tankers (also 100% no touch and many open delivery schedules), but there were still times of sitting waiting to get loaded, and many days of having to run 650+ miles day in, day out.

Have you thought of another option, like possibly finding a carrier that will pay you for everything you do instead of setting your sights on needing a certain number of miles weekly? Just a thought :wink:...

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Rookie

My main concern is freaky appointment times. Like 2pm one day and then 4am the next. You can't get used to it.

If all the appointments were early morning then maybe i could get used to it.

I think car-hauling doesn't have appointments, so i might look into that.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Odd appointment times and 2 am one day and then 4 pm the next is just trucking. No one likes to have a irregular schedule but that is the nature of the beast!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: COMPANY SUGGESTIONS:

I would suggest CFI. I don't want freightliners either. I was looking for a Volvo with an APU [generator that gives you heat & air without idling], no touch freight and no reefers. I'm shooting for the stars.

I might end up going with Crete. Their reputation is really good. I hate freightliners and don't want a 65 mph truck. However, I might be able to get an APU-I have asthma. Guess I'm settling. However, don't want to go back to the old company. Been searching for three months. Am just tired of searching for the perfect job-it doesn't exist.

I'm not particularly thrilled about Kenworths either [CFI]. However, it's more important for me to have an APU than a Kenworth over a Freightliner. CFI doesn't have APUs according to the recruiter.

May is a good company also but they make you chain. Their trucks are only 65 mph also. Most company trucks are 65 mph.

A. N. Webber out of Kankakee, IL has Peterbilts and I think they are at 70-can't remember. They have very little touch freight except hot water heaters. That turned me off...

Good luck. I've called between 20-40 companies in these three months and almost went to five of them. The recruiters will tell you anything to get you in the door. Make sure you ask specific questions, or I guarantee you you will be SCREWED every time. I don't mean the good way either.

Sizzle