User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I left my company the end of July and have been searching in vain ever since for the "perfect" company. I was supposed to go to Crete this past Tuesday. However, after all the arrangements were made for my travel and motel, they called me to say that they couldn't accommodate my Doctor's request for continuous idle or an APU [generator that allows you to have heat/air without idling].

I have asthma; hence, the requirements stated above. I could probably use a fan for continuous air; however, Phoenix in the summer time would be a bear with Optimized Idle. I tried it two years ago and thought I'd suffocate with optimized idle. It was 115 degrees outside and my truck got down to 85. EECCKK!!!

I was really disappointed that I didn't end up going to Crete, because everything that I've heard about them was positive. Although, I've driven Volvos for over 2 years and hate Freightliners so perhaps it was for the best. I have turned down Hill Brothers [don't want to do reefer], May Company who has a $3,000 sign on bonus [don't want to be forced to chain], A.N. Webber, they are in Kankakee, IL, they have Pete's only [don't want to move hot water heaters].

I also turned down Voyager, they are located in Denver, they are Christian and have only one solo female out of 85 trucks. Since, I'm not Christian and I don't want to be the only other solo female-there's reasons for that..... Also, I didn't go to Knight. I'm actually going back to my old company, which is a training company that starts with S. Yes, believe it or not it's the only company without chaining requirements, you as a lumper requirement, that has Volvos and doesn't have to do reefer.

I've had over 2 years experience and will defend this company again while I'm driving for them. It's amazing how experienced drivers will do some of the above. I'm not used to having to chain, move freight or do reefer and don't want to do them. I'm tired of looking. I've checked out over 30+ companies and I'm going back.

I don't have a Sugar Daddy and need to work SOON. Yes, I'm sure it appears that I'm picky but I'm telling you if you don't ask the important questions beforehand-look what you might end up with.

I'm sorry I couldn't go to Crete but am determined to get a Volvo. I'm aware of all the electrical problems in Volvos but as far as I'm concerned there is no nicer truck-it turns on a dime, has space inside and is the most quiet truck on the road. I've even had several guys tell me that they have driven Peterbilts and they'd rather have a Volvo, I've also known several owner ops that swear by Volvos.

So, oh well, no Crete but some how I'll survive.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Board Regular

Sizzle,

I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out for you to come to Crete. However, given your specific needs/wants perhaps, as you said, it was for the best. I mean, if Swift is willing to meet your needs/wants and you're willing to accept lower pay etc to have those needs/wants met there, then maybe they're a better fit for you and who knows, things may change in the not so distant future with Crete. I have seen a few APUs on what appeared to be company trucks, so who knows. Fuel is a HUGE expense and the ability to save money seems to be the primary driving force for change with most companies and Crete is no exception. That and the ability to use it as a driver retention/recruiting tool could tip the scales in favor of making such a change. However, I wouldn't expect it to happen for a year or more, due to the fact that they've already bought next years supply of trucks to avoid the new 07 engines. I guess what I'm saying is I'm sorry it didn't work out for you to come to Crete now, but that doesn't mean things won't change and you can in the future. Best of luck with Swift or wherever you end up.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

In answer to the earlier question, Schneider did not buy out Crete. They wouldn't have enough money.