User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any recent info on Tyson Foods from current drivers?

Hello everyone.
My first post here. One of many firsts the past few weeks as I'm a little over half way through the driver training program here in my area.

Last week Tyson came into class. I'm looking hard at the company as I'm close to the Wilksboro, NC area (30 minutes). From past posts it appears they are pretty decent to work for. I was looking for any info from current drivers as to how they are liking their job and are they expecting to stay there for an extended period of time. I'm 46 and would like to make the best choice possible as far as providing myself with a company that I could consider staying with for the long haul. Tired of all the BS with lay-offs in the other industries around my area.

My instructor whose is a former driver and who can't really come out and tell you the good and bad co. who come to court us weekly took me off to the side and said I should take a good look at Tyson (wink, wink)

Anyway any info would be appreciated.
Jocko
Old 09-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Board Regular

You have to start out as team driving i think, unless you have solo experience. I don't think they pay practical miles. Other than that, I hear it's a pretty good company to work for.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Rookie

Hi Adam. Thanks for the reply. The recruiter didn't mention having to start as a team driver. I do know that you are with a trainer for 8 weeks.
They brought one of their newer Volvo's for us to look at. I was able to take it for a spin around the range. It was the first automatic I've had the chance to drive. I can see where an auto would be nice while in traffic and jumping from light to light. My left leg still gets tired while working on backing on our practice range. Somehow an auto in a truck just seems wrong though. HA He said that trainees would normally be in a 10 speed as the co. just had a few auto's to see how they did in service. That you would probably slip seat for the first little while before you were assigned a truck of your own.
Jocko
Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Rookie

I worked for Tyson for 9 months. I left in August, and I think its the best thing I ever did. They have less than 1 trailer for every truck thanks to the o/o's. I on many occasions lost my trailer that was being loaded to an o/o who needed a trailer so he could go home. They have to cut $200,000,000 this year and doing so they are closing the terminal I ran out of which is Olathe, KS. They are only going to ship and recieve, no more transportation. You will sit a lot and they do make you push the books every chance they get. It was getting so bad the Tyson family stepped down and turned over CEO duties to the former second in charge of IBP before the merger and he doesn't like company drivers. I know this because I heard him say it. Good pay and benefits but you sit a lot and the trucks are gutless and the trailers are beat up and they have some issues right now. You will slip seat out of wilksboro because not enough trucks because of budget cuts. Each terminal does its own thing but when the tysons left and Dick Bond took over it went down hill fast and they drove a lot of senior drivers away. I would look around some more, but its up to you, because whats good for me might not be good for you.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Might want to consider Crete. We have a small terminal in Greensboro and we do a lot of business in NC.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Doesn't Tyson give you all the chicken you can eat?
Old 09-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Rookie

Mike, that's exactly the type of things I'm looking for.

Hard to make a good decision based upon the recruiters as everyone of them tells you what a great company they have. Us new guys are being bombarded with so much info it's hard to know which way to turn as far as choosing a company. I also know that just like in every industry there are going to be some people who really like a compnay and others who have some problems with the same, so I'm still listening if anyone else would like to add their opinions.

Karnajj, I'm just glad I don't have to try to pronounce that handle of yours. It looks like some of those tech support peoples names sound that I had to talk to in the tech industry. I'll start looking into Crete. Got any more info to add about them?

Bigmon, Eat mo' chicken!! haha

Thanks for the info guys/gals
Jocko
Old 09-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Rookie

Also, everybody thanks for the info. I am again thinking about going to school, but the only company I wanted to drive for is Tyson. I knew they were going through changes with a lot of of plant closings and layoffs. But I was wondering what about the terminal in Springdale? Is that still a good terminal to run out of and a better place to drive for Tyson? They always have a driver wanted sign out in front of the transportation terminal. Also, from what I heard and saw I thought Tyson had some nice Volvo's, but you said they were gutless, what did you mean? Also, do they split seat in Springdale? I talked to the recruiter a couple of months ago before they said they were going to cut $200 million. Thanks
Old 09-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Being that I live in NW arkansas, I talk to a lot of tyson drivers while im out recruiting in the area. Just like most companies, I talk to quite a few tyson drivers that are happy and I hire quite a few that arent happy. Really, you will never know if a job is good for you or not until you personally drive for them.
Personally, I dont know if i could work for them, I cant stand the smell of those chicken plants. Just driving by one of them with the top down on my car gags me everytime. So much so, that after living here for so long, I have a hard time eating chicken....lol
Old 10-03-2006, 03:38 AM
Rookie

Sheepdancer, thanks for your input. I hear ya on the smell thing. Even when I was a kid working in a grocery store the meat market stunk. Sort of that copper smell all the time.

Like you said you never know if you're going to be happy with something unless you give it a try. If things work out they're going to be where I go to first. At least I'll be getting my feet wet so to speak and if it doesn't suit me I can make a more informed decision once I get a little better handle on the industry. Being new and fresh out from being behind a desk for the past 10 years I know nothing about the trucking industry, only that I want a new challenge. So far I haven't been disappointed in that respect! I just don't want to be one of those who jump from company to company trying to find the holy grail so I'm looking at the big picture, not only pay but benefits and a decent retirement plan, trying to make a wise choice right out of the gate.
Jocko