User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 05:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've been driving a 2007 Peterbilt 379 for about 6 months now and average fuel economy is 5.6 mpg. Fact, not fiction. As a flatbed company, we do run usually around 35,000 to 47,000 pound loads but I can't IMAGINE getting mpg figures in the 7-8 mpg range even empty.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I remember hauling loads of foam insulation (around 5k lbs total) out of Aurora, CO (Denver) eastbound, very flat land, downhill all the way, Freightliner Century doing no faster than 65mph, and my mpg still would average around 6.5. Never got to 7.0. Maybe driving 55 all the time it could be possible, but only with lightweight loads, no mountain driving, and a very fuel-efficient truck.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

With a T-2000 and C-12 Millis loves I only got 6 MPG in the late 90's of course Millis cuts them so far back we are always full fuel to get up to speed and then they are screaming why can you not get fuel mileage. I showed them why. My first truck with them 1996 FLD120 cond 3176 cat blew a turbo took out the intercooler and #4 piston had to be overhauled at a Cat shop they reset it to FACTORY specs MPG when from 5.5 to 6.5 pulling the same loads and everything. At Henderson trucking the boss gave us the ponies to haul the loads uphill since we ran west 500 detroits on cruise. I got 7.3 or better there with my 98 there.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Rookie

It's been awhile since I posted. Have been super busy with other stuff. Anyway, the May lease-purchase is going extremely well. Iceman continues to have a 7.5 mpg usage, which apparently is right up there in the company. This has been checked and rechecked by May, and it is an accurate figure by the way for those of you who are nay sayers. Of course he stays at 55-60 range. The lease-purchase proforma is working like a charm. We knew the sales price of course and plan to pay it off in three years instead of four. For us it is a godsend. Sometimes it works for drivers, sometimes not. May has been very professional in getting the thing off the ground. ALSO, note that when Iceman was a company driver his miles sucked. He went through two dispatchers until he got his current owner-op dispatcher who is very quick and agressive. He is now getting between 3200-3500 a week. In the beginning Iceman didn't know if he was going to like May or not but now he loves it there. Changing companies frequently doesn't change a lot of things as there are so many other important things to consider. I think he will stay where he is. Happy Holidays to All!

Iceman's Wife
Suze
Old 12-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Hi Suzi. I've been reading this thread with great interest. Not because I'm interested, or even curious, about a lease deal but because I'm looking at May Trucking very strongly as the company to go with.

I start CDL training on Monday, 12/4 here in Tampa and have talked to Opal at May. Seemed very nice and patient with my questions. Their new driver/CDL school graduate pay seems like one of the stronger that I've found.

$500/week during orientation/training.
.32/mile after training
.34/mile after 6 months
.35/mile after 9 months
.36/mile after 1 year

Tuition reimbursement, up to $3600 i think. (a little lower than most).

Over all, regarding May as a company, are there any complaints? Anything to watch out for? Anything specific I need to know.

Thanks a ton for any info you (or anyone else) can provide.

Dok
Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Rookie

At first Iceman didn't know if he was going to like May. He had been with KKW Trucking out of Pomona and although he liked the freedom there, they didn't pay well. May is extremely organized and structured in every way. After after a couple of months he got used to this and it began to go very well, EXCEPT, the miles were very low. He changed OSL's and thought it would improve but it didn't. Although they say forced dispatch, they are very easy to work with so that isn't completely true. Now that he is in the owner-op department it has changed. They have to give the guys the miles or they wouldn't make it and May doesn't want the trucks back. Surprisingly, they don't get many back. The drivers are getting 3200-3500 miles a week. Of course they can run however they wish. We are trying to stay out 26 days and then home for 4-5. We have about three more months to calculate our income needs before we relocate to Vancouver, WA from Las Vegas. On the "Goin Fer Its" thread, his wife said that her husband really didn't get good training from the May trainer, but that could have been handled better by stopping on the spot and requesting another trainer. You guys all know trainers who aren't "present at the party". LOL

Take Care,
Iceman's Wife
Suze