User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who will buy??

Hi there all....
I would be interested to know if anyone out there knows who would be a half decent company to work for and who would possibly buy or help me out of my 1 year contract with USA.

Since I started with USA my experience got a little better for a while but has got MUCH worse in a hurry. My last home time was 4 days late, and I am due home time again Tuesday, but I am headed for CT and looks like I will be stuck there all weekend with little prospect of getting home on time yet again.

I would appreciate any input anyone would have. Thanks and stay safe!
Chris
Old 09-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I seriously doubt anyone or any company is going to buy out your contract with USA, so that leaves you with 2 choices. Stick with USA until your contract expires or quit and pay the tuition for school. This situation is why I strongly reccomend not going through the company sponsored schools.

Anyway, one reason so many newbies, and I did this myself when I was one, find themselves in these situation (can't get home, get coerced to run in violation of the HOS, etc) is that they have not yet figured out how to diplomatically tell the company you are working for to shove it and make things right.

As far as hometime goes try this. Say you go out on a Monday and you want to be home in two weeks on Friday. On Monday before leaving the house you send in a time off notice for the day and date you want to be home. If it is a real need then send it in for the day before. Then on the very next Friday send in your first reminder before your main dispatcher goes home. On Monday send in another reminder. Then again on Weds another. Also all that week if they send you somewhere that will make it very hard or next to impossible for you to get home on time and/or legally remind them again. Say something like "So what is tha plan for this load. There is no way I can deliver it and make it home on time. Am I dropping it somewhere or doing a relay?"

If things do not get better then ask your dispatcher what exactly do you need to do to get home when you are suppose to. If that does no good start working your way up the ladder asking the same question.

It is possible that you have a greedy and/or lazy dispatcher. If things do not get better try requesting from the higher ups a new one.

There is no reason to allow a dispatcher to walk all over you. Learn how to be firm and diplomatic in your dealings and I think you may find things better in the long run. I am not telling you to start dictating what you will or will not do, but simply to stick to your guns on issues that are important to you and/or that protect your CDL.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Try JB hunt ive heard w/3 months exp they will help you with tuition from another carrier, or something like that