User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JB HUNT -Sheepdancer Info Please

Sheepdancer, can you tell me if 20 months of Class B Straight truck experience and a 6 week Class A School (240 Hrs) at my local cc (thru WIA) would be enough to be considered for employment?
Thanks,
Doug
Old 09-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Senior Board Member

You are almost there....You would need 6 weeks with a trucking company(class a) and I could put you with a trainer.....or 3 months with a trucking company to go out on your own.
Rarely do I get a class B job, but honestly, Ive never seen one in Alabama...the class B jobs I sometimes have open tend to be up in the NE.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:08 PM

I dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a question for sheepdancer. I have been hearing about a dedicated flatbed run out of Peru IL. Do you have any info on this? I live 10 miles from Peru and I was curious about it. Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I wasn't hoping for class B work. I've got that now and I just spent 5 weeks (1 week to go, but I already got my Class A) in school to go make class A type money.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I wish I could help you.....we just dont hire people right out of school.
message me when you get 6 weeks or 3 months. Good news is we will pay you 37 cpm out of alabama for just 3 months exp. I also run SE regional out of alabama and that only requires 3 months exp.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:11 AM
Rookie

What about the dedicated runs out of Opelika, AL (15 miles south on I85) for JoAnn Stores? Does that require more than the 3 months experience?
I'll be getting back with you after my time is in. Now if only I could find a company that wouldn't mind being used for 3 months...
Old 09-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Rookie

sheepdancer - I am currently with another large well known carrier....and extremely unhappy. I have 4 months experience but am tied to this carrier for a year. Would JB buy out my contract or help me in some way to get out of it? All I am looking for is some decent miles, and most importantly to me some CONSISTENT AND HONEST home time policies. I am currently in the process of moving to the Bloomington,IL area.

I would appreciate any info you could give me, and maybe if you could help me more closely. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Contract Scmontract....just break it...lol. Just kidding. We just dont take over contracts from other companies. But here is the thing....I do hire tons of drivers under contract with other companies. Look at it this way....say you are working for Swift for 28 cpm and under contract. Say you leave them and still owe them money. We will pay you 40cpm. Do the math. 2500 miles a week at swift x 28 cpm= 700 a week. 40cpm X 2500 miles a week= 1000 a week. You could quit, come here, pay your school loan 50 bucks a week to keep them off your back and still make way more money. Every situation is different for every driver. I cant really advise you to break your contract because of every situation being different. I mean if you are making 900 a week now, it wouldnt really make sense to break the contract for 100 bucks more a week. If your contract is almost over, i would say stick it out for a while longer. But if you have a long time left on your contract and you are only taking home a 200 or 300 dollars after they take everything out....Personally, I would get out the calculator and take a long hard look at all options.

any future drivers out there need to think about this post very seriously. Its ALMOST ALWAYS BETTER to find a way to pay for your own school. Driving for a year or even two under contract for 200 to 300 a week take home can end up putting you more in debt that your school cost in the first place.