Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Auto trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ81
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
I drove an autoshift for a while. I'd never swear by it, but I swore at it. It's incessant and unnecessary shifting in city traffic. Then, in the hills when it would linger in top gear too long, allowing the rig to slow to a crawl, then finally downshift. At that point 9th gear was too high so it'd have to downshift again to 8th, stay in 8th for all of two seconds with the motor screaming, then upshift back to 9th. In the mean time I'm watching the mirrors hoping no one will run into me while this stupid tranny tries to figure out what it's going to do next. :roll:
Put it in manual and shift it yourself with the up or the down button.
Pretty simple huh?
Yeah, what he said! Duh.....
Old 11-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Alex, you are leaving part of the problem out. I am, at least for now, a USX driver and I hate the autoshift. I do like having more room in the cab because there is no stick, so I guess it is a tradeoff.

The problem with the autoshift is that there is a delay while the trans gets in sync with the engine. This can sometimes be as much as 10 seconds, but it is usually 4 to 6 seconds.

The worst (or most embarassing) is when you set up to back into a hole and several trucks are waiting for you to move, you set up, hit the R button, and the trans takes 10 slow seconds to drop into gear. Meanwhile everyone is looking at you as if you are trying to figure out what to do. It has happened to me when I had my nose in the road lining up to back into a hole and the trans took it's sweet time to drop into gear. I almost got hit that time.

The Volvo engine with the Eaton Autoshift does not have the power to pull a greasy string out of a cat's ...... It usually is not an issue because USX usually pulls light loads. Last night I had a Ricketts load that has us over 79,000 pounds. THEN that setup sucks. OK, we usually do not pull that heavy, but it does happen.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Rookie
Default AUTO TRANS

WHY DO SO MANY OF YOU GUYS WANT AUTO TRANS CANT YOU GUYS DRIVE STANDARD
Old 11-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: AUTO TRANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVERMAN77077
WHAT DID YOU SAY?!!!!!!!! Jeez, take the caps off would ya. :wink:

Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: AUTO TRANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVERMAN77077
Some people like autos, some people like standards. It's all a personal preference. Although I think it's safe to say that autos are the way of the future. I've read that they are more fuel efficient. Since that is one of a company's greatest expenses, that is probably their main reasoning for converting to autos.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why do you have power steering??? Can't you turn the wheel without it???

Different part of the truck, same concept...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
Why do you have power steering??? Can't you turn the wheel without it???

Different part of the truck, same concept...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH LOVE IT That's like saying why do you put fuel in your truck, can't you just push it? lol Heck why have a truck at all, can't you just throw the cargo on your back?

I can drive an manual all day long. I can also drive an auto all day long. Doesn't make much of a difference to me
Old 11-09-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangernaid
Alex, you are leaving part of the problem out. I am, at least for now, a USX driver and I hate the autoshift. I do like having more room in the cab because there is no stick, so I guess it is a tradeoff.

The problem with the autoshift is that there is a delay while the trans gets in sync with the engine. This can sometimes be as much as 10 seconds, but it is usually 4 to 6 seconds.

The worst (or most embarassing) is when you set up to back into a hole and several trucks are waiting for you to move, you set up, hit the R button, and the trans takes 10 slow seconds to drop into gear. Meanwhile everyone is looking at you as if you are trying to figure out what to do. It has happened to me when I had my nose in the road lining up to back into a hole and the trans took it's sweet time to drop into gear. I almost got hit that time.

The Volvo engine with the Eaton Autoshift does not have the power to pull a greasy string out of a cat's ...... It usually is not an issue because USX usually pulls light loads. Last night I had a Ricketts load that has us over 79,000 pounds. THEN that setup sucks. OK, we usually do not pull that heavy, but it does happen.
I never attempted to identify any problem. I made a remark (over a month ago) about it being simple to slide a button from auto to manual - nothing more nothing less.

I can say as another USX driver, I don't have the problem that you've stated above. The most it ever takes the tranny to get in synch with the engine is a couple of seconds, a blink of an eye if you will. Maybe because my Freightlinger has a Detroit engine i have no idea
Old 04-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Rookie

2 People and 1 tiny dog like a tea cup chiuaua should be ok if the dog was well trained and the two people got along very well. If it was just one person, maybe 2 tea cups, but if these guys are rookies, I think that no pets is the best solution. Learn to drive the truck for about 6 months on their own day in and day out before adding a pet into the mix, and make sure it'll work with just humans on board.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:32 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You will likely limit yourself by having experience with only autos. As far as pets are concerned, I think having a pet in the truck should be looked at like driving while on a cell phone, reading a magazine, drinking a cup of coffee in heavy rush hour traffic. Pets can be a distraction in a truck. Other than being bad for the animal being couped up for hours on end, they can decide to play at inopportune times and cause you to be distracted at the wrong moment and you are in the middle of an accident. Personally, I feel that if you can't leave home without your pet, then you should just stay home. I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but when you are driving a truck, you are at work. I don't know of many companies who will allow workers to bring their pets to the office or factory with them. Being in a truck is no different, except that you could hurt or kill someone or yourself with a distraction at the wrong moment.
You know Gman, I agree with you on alot of things, but this ain't one of 'em. a spouse can be pretty distracting too. Should you leave her at home? Never mind, I know the answer.... :lol: :lol: