User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Average 4500 miles isn't very much for a team, and it's not legally possible for a solo driver. Not unless they have found a way for a driver to AVERAGE over 60 MPH in a truck that is governed at around 65 MPH!!

Even if you were running out west, with a speed limit of 75MPH, the truck is still governed at around 65MPH.!!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ball
i don't see what the problem is --

65 mph multiplied by 70 hours = 4550 miles.

1st:
You can not DRIVE 70 hrs in a 70 hr. time frame; you can only DRIVE 11 hrs. out of a 14 hr. work period.

2nd:
You can not AVERAGE 65MPH in a truck that is governed at slightly over 65MPH. Not Possible!!!

70 hours is 10 hours a day for seven days so why can you not log 4500 miles in one week?
lets say you were in the southwest and texas all week. you could log 65 or 70mph.. :?:
In a governed truck that won't do 70MPH??? Nope!! Won't work!!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree with Useless. Even maintaining a 65mph average in a 70mph truck is a good feat. Given todays heavy traffic, all the construction slowdowns, and all the rest.....you'd be lucky in some areas to average 61 or 62....and thats in 70 mph states when you're running at top end.

All things considered....go back and read my admonitions. Then read them again. Also, keep this in mind: The FMCSR's place a legal requirement upon your company to report your "wrongdoings" to the FED. Whether or not they actually do, I can't say...however, if you create and act out a pattern of obvious log violations, at some point they will have to, otherwise...if there is a problem, or they get caught in an audit....they will get financially hammered as well.

Google the name "Gunther" and see what happened to him. As in Gunther Transport.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Average 4500 miles isn't very much for a team, and it's not legally possible for a solo driver. Not unless they have found a way for a driver to AVERAGE over 60 MPH in a truck that is governed at around 65 MPH!!
I will agree that is is not possible to get 4500 miles per week every week. I do not condone driving illegally or manipulating logs. I am only trying to point out that sometimes it may be possible to drive more than 70 hours in a 7 day period. No inexperienced driver should expect to get this many miles as a company driver. The 34 hour reset makes this possible, and I was trying to illustrate how to effectively use it for a very motivated person. My previous post explained how to drive 75 hours in a 7 day period legally including pre-trips but excluding load/unload/drop and hook time. 75 hours at only 60 miles per hour is 4500 miles, perhaps possible for a truck that isn't governed and doesn't stop much.

Thank you Skywalker and Useless for pointing out other points of view in regards to this theory. Please don't be afraid to pick apart my theory, I won't get mad. :lol:

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 06-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Rookie
Location: Give me a map and a couple of minutes to figure it out...

Quote:
If it's so bad for him, why doesn't he quit?
I know it's a petty-sounding sort of revenge, but it's all he can do--he's stuck with that contract. He's at the breaking point now, though: I think he's gonna tell them to shove that contract of theirs up their collective tail-pipe...

(I almost hope he sticks with them--it sure was funny watching that truck rumble away :-) )
Old 06-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisamazing
Quote:
If it's so bad for him, why doesn't he quit?
I know it's a petty-sounding sort of revenge, but it's all he can do--he's stuck with that contract. He's at the breaking point now, though: I think he's gonna tell them to shove that contract of theirs up their collective tail-pipe...

(I almost hope he sticks with them--it sure was funny watching that truck rumble away :-) )
That's the problem with so many drivers. They get all pissy when something doesn't go their way and they start job hopping or doing stupid things like that guy is doing. My tenure with Stevens wasn't all peaches and cream. I got pissed off that I kept getting sent to NYC or when I wasn't able to get repowered for hometime and I had to drive past Las Cruces to get to California and had to wait another week and a half to get home. But I made a commitment to do the best job I could do for the time I agreed to be with the company and I stuck to my word. A professional does their job even when they don't want to, as my mother always said. Obviously your friend is no professional.

I didn't do things that were going to reflect bad on me and had the potential to bite me in the ass later on. Some people don't have that kind of foresight I guess.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Rookie
Location: Give me a map and a couple of minutes to figure it out...

Quote:
A professional does their job even when they don't want to, as my mother always said. Obviously your friend is no professional.

I didn't do things that were going to reflect bad on me and had the potential to bite me in the ass later on. Some people don't have that kind of foresight I guess.
Perhaps, in your own way, you're right. When I was with England, I gladly sat down to my extra-large helping of crow and ate with a smile. They treated me like dogsh.t and I took it, thinking, "Well, I'm a rookie, and I'll be at the bottom-of-the-ladder for a while." That was before I realized there were real companies out there, and before my bullshit tolerance evaporated. Don't you get it, Packrat? You're an indentured servant for these guys. In return for your schooling you have to stay on for a year--a full year! They've got you, and they know it, and they believe this gives them license to treat the newbies like crap. Even when I was with Crap Roasted England I was treated with more respect than you guys were/are.

I respect the fact that you made a commitment, packrat, and that you tried to do your best to honor it. To quote a very cool poem, though, I will only say this: There is some shit I will not eat. Apparently my friend thinks the same way, too.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisamazing
Don't you get it, Packrat? You're an indentured servant for these guys. In return for your schooling you have to stay on for a year--a full year! They've got you, and they know it, and they believe this gives them license to treat the newbies like crap. Even when I was with Crap Roasted England I was treated with more respect than you guys were/are.
I wasn't treated poorly, you're making that assumption. I worked for them for two years, the year I agreed to and another year and the only reason I quit was for health reasons, not because I was unhappy with the job.

At any rate, you know you're going to be an indentured servant the moment you sign the contract. So I say if it's so bad, wait until your contract is over, tell them to go f--- themselves and get another job. But don't do things that will make you look like a jackass in the interim. Good reputable companies want good, reputable drivers, not somebody who does stupid things like run their truck constantly just for spite.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Board Member

just a question......Why would you write off a company because of what one recruiter said? For all you know that guy could have been written up for blatantly lying to you on the phone. I guarantee there isnt one company out there that hasnt had a recruiter that lied or got fired for lying. Are you going to write off all companies? To lump all recruiters in to one group because one of them lied to you is a bit insane. That would be like someone lumping all drivers into one group because one driver killed 5 people. A fact: there are people who lie in every group of people. EVEN DRIVERS. You got lied to once by a recruiter....Im lied to by at least 10 drivers a day. Do I lump them all into one group? Of course not.
I just laugh about it and move on to the next one.

So......Obviously the guy was exagerating quite a bit....you called him on it. Move on to a different recruiter and get the truth. REALITY with almost any big company: you will probably average between 2500-2900 miles per week.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
just a question......Why would you write off a company because of what one recruiter said? For all you know that guy could have been written up for blatantly lying to you on the phone. I guarantee there isnt one company out there that hasnt had a recruiter that lied or got fired for lying. Are you going to write off all companies? To lump all recruiters in to one group because one of them lied to you is a bit insane. That would be like someone lumping all drivers into one group because one driver killed 5 people. A fact: there are people who lie in every group of people. EVEN DRIVERS. You got lied to once by a recruiter....Im lied to by at least 10 drivers a day. Do I lump them all into one group? Of course not.
I just laugh about it and move on to the next one.

So......Obviously the guy was exagerating quite a bit....you called him on it. Move on to a different recruiter and get the truth. REALITY with almost any big company: you will probably average between 2500-2900 miles per week.
It does show you how one or two Malcontents representing a company can cause great harm. Companies must institute strong quality control polices and have immediate feedback loops to nip this stuff in the bud.

One feedback loop is to have all the information your recruiter will exclaim on literature, web sites, and in all advertisements. What does the newbie want to know .. CPM. Miles per week, Home time, Benifits, age of the equipment, drop and hook vs. live load, type of runs, type of freight.

It males it harder to lie that way and puts controls in place ...

If such behavior goes unchecked and becomes prevalent even ingrained into the culture -- then it takes years if ever to reverse the effects.

Even though I am seeing some improvements in JB Hunt for example -- The evils of management during the 80's and 90's still haunt message boards and truck stops today. The mistakes of Swift growing too fast will haunt Swift for the next 20 years despite the efforts of the new management team.