User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I may be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure that per diem is always optional. I thought that was a "benefit" (allegedly) and not mandatory. I know that a lot of companies will stress the per diem and often times try to sweeten the deal, but I think it is an option.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:38 PM

heya solo.ive been with usx for almost 3 years now.my answeres to your questions will be based exclusively on my own experiences with usx NOT from "what i heard" or read somewhere.

I would take my orientation in memphis, Tn. Is this true?

-true.enjoy the dustbowl there and dont forget to read the writtings on the wall in the mens bathroom lolz!there will be plenty of drivers there in memphis so if you have any real questions then dont hesitate to ask one of them.

Question Number 2 Otr training is about 3 weeks ? True or False?

-true.malaki is right on the money about no more team driving.ask for a trainer named anthony a.k.a "too tall".he's a bro of mine and is the cleanest driver i've ever seen on the road.i can give you his volvo number if you want.

Question Number 3 Once assigned my own truck, I would average around 2500 miles per week. And make about 32 cents per mile. True or False?

-false! what you average per week depends on your driving abilities and also what type of account you are running.malaki with usx xpress direct will crank the miles out week in and week out due to the sensitivity of the freight.i run southeast or whats left of it and get anywhere from 2,000 to 2,500 miles per week.be that as it may,i've also had weeks where i almost broke 4,000 miles and turn around the next week and get only 2,000 miles.i can post that 4,000 miles paycheck if you dont believe me.so its basically up to you solo.learn the game and you should be fine with miles.
the per diem pay is way lower than normal pay.just in case you didnt already know that.

Question Number 4 No forced dispatch to Canada, NYC, and no hazmat required, Although a hazmat endorsement would help. Is all this true?

-true. key word is "forced".they will send you pre plans to nyc and or canada but all you have to do is to tell them no thanks get me something else.i take them due to the extra pay involved and long island isnt that bad.stanten island is a different story lolz.
get the hazmat.more opportunities.more miles.

Question Number 5 All runs will be east of I-35..True or False?

-true.there are some special cases that will require you to go past I-35.but its been very very rare in my case.

Last question Home every 8 - 10 days? Fact or Fiction?

-true and fasle.as malaki said it depends on what account your running.i can get home every weekend if i wanted but thats because when i was hired that was part of what they offered me.i normally go out for 3 weeks at a time then take 4 days off.

-all in all solo usx isnt that bad of a company.just dont get caught up in the brainwashing and b.s. propaganda talk.learn the game and you will be ok.yes its true they do cater to teams more than us solo drivers but they have enough frieght to keep us all happy or atleast content for the time being.its true youll sometimes go to a rail yard but you get paid extra for it.no biggie.its true ssometimes you'll get a 50 mile local run thrown in from time to time.take it,you get paid $50 for loads running less than 150 miles.$50 for an hours worth of driving.no biggie.if you have any other q's please feel free to pm me.good luck.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Malaki86/Redsunn21,

Is USX paying you correctly according to the sliding scale? For example you mentioned your pulling loads on average 500-650 miles. Are they correctly paying you on the scale based on the miles you pulled the load? I read someplace else that someone noted that the drivers were getting paid based on how far the load itself has gone so if it was a relay or intermodial that those miles were included in the total distance and the drivers were not getting paid based on the distance you actually pulled the load. So how does this actually work? Thanks.

Longsnowsm
Old 02-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Senior Board Member

I've never had a problem with being paid my miles. As far as for repowers (relays) I'm not 100% on that. I rarely do a repower. There's another question for your recruiter :lol:

To be 100% honest, the ONLY thing I've ever had problems getting paid at USX is detention time. In my experience, it takes an average of 3-4 weeks worth of calling the FM, FM's manager, and finally the Operations Manager before they finally pay it.

Other than that, everything else is paid without delay. RedSun mentioned the rail loads being an extra $20 for the stop and $50 for short haul (under 100 miles). In 1 day, I did 4 drop/hooks from a shipper and the rail yard. Took the loaded trailer about 30 miles into the rail yard. Dropped that trailer, picked up a loaded trailer from the same place that went back to the same rail yard. So, basically, I made $140 per round trip (2 short hauls, 2 rail drop/pu's).

I wish I could have stuff like that every day. HAHAHA
Old 02-25-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunn21
heya solo.ive been with usx for almost 3 years now.my answeres to your questions will be based exclusively on my own experiences with usx NOT from "what i heard" or read somewhere.

I would take my orientation in memphis, Tn. Is this true?

-true.enjoy the dustbowl there and dont forget to read the writtings on the wall in the mens bathroom lolz!there will be plenty of drivers there in memphis so if you have any real questions then dont hesitate to ask one of them.

Question Number 2 Otr training is about 3 weeks ? True or False?

-true.malaki is right on the money about no more team driving.ask for a trainer named anthony a.k.a "too tall".he's a bro of mine and is the cleanest driver i've ever seen on the road.i can give you his volvo number if you want.

Question Number 3 Once assigned my own truck, I would average around 2500 miles per week. And make about 32 cents per mile. True or False?

-false! what you average per week depends on your driving abilities and also what type of account you are running.malaki with usx xpress direct will crank the miles out week in and week out due to the sensitivity of the freight.i run southeast or whats left of it and get anywhere from 2,000 to 2,500 miles per week.be that as it may,i've also had weeks where i almost broke 4,000 miles and turn around the next week and get only 2,000 miles.i can post that 4,000 miles paycheck if you dont believe me.so its basically up to you solo.learn the game and you should be fine with miles.
the per diem pay is way lower than normal pay.just in case you didnt already know that.

Question Number 4 No forced dispatch to Canada, NYC, and no hazmat required, Although a hazmat endorsement would help. Is all this true?

-true. key word is "forced".they will send you pre plans to nyc and or canada but all you have to do is to tell them no thanks get me something else.i take them due to the extra pay involved and long island isnt that bad.stanten island is a different story lolz.
get the hazmat.more opportunities.more miles.

Question Number 5 All runs will be east of I-35..True or False?

-true.there are some special cases that will require you to go past I-35.but its been very very rare in my case.

Last question Home every 8 - 10 days? Fact or Fiction?

-true and fasle.as malaki said it depends on what account your running.i can get home every weekend if i wanted but thats because when i was hired that was part of what they offered me.i normally go out for 3 weeks at a time then take 4 days off.

-all in all solo usx isnt that bad of a company.just dont get caught up in the brainwashing and b.s. propaganda talk.learn the game and you will be ok.yes its true they do cater to teams more than us solo drivers but they have enough frieght to keep us all happy or atleast content for the time being.its true youll sometimes go to a rail yard but you get paid extra for it.no biggie.its true ssometimes you'll get a 50 mile local run thrown in from time to time.take it,you get paid $50 for loads running less than 150 miles.$50 for an hours worth of driving.no biggie.if you have any other q's please feel free to pm me.good luck.
Thanks for replying Redsunn21. You and Malaki86 have given me a lot of information, and I thank both of you. It's good to hear from US Xpress drivers..and not go along on just hearsay

Both of you seem to be happy there..and are both getting good miles. If I decide on going with US Xpress.. I'll pm you for "anthonys" number. I'll be sure to check out the bathroom walls. I can just imagine some of the things that are written there. :lol:
Old 08-13-2006, 05:31 AM
Default today

Just had a sit down with a us xpress recruiter about 5 hours ago
(aug 12, 2006). We will be graduating from cdl school in october.
We will be a husband / wife team. Here was all the latest on the "offer"
Pre-hired on the spot with all the usual "if's", graduate from school and then let them know when we are ready for orientation. They will send us to colton ca. (he said by bus, but i told him I was NEVER going to ride a bus again, would rather walk..he said with pre-approval..which he said is easy to get, just be sure to ask in advance.. we can take the train or fly down and the company will credit us the cost of the bus tickets to our first paycheck and we pay the difference).
3 days @ orientation @ $43/day, free room and free lunch, Dinner/breakfast on us. (if we get booted from oreintation we have to pay our own way home).
Upon completion of oreintation, we will go out with a trainer from colton for avg of 21 days (must log 1k driving hours). I forgot to ask what training pay was DUH!.
Training is dispatched as solo, trainer just rides, trainee does all the driving/log ect.
Once done with training take final exam and re-unite w/spouse.
TEAM's get a new truck. Our first load will be to our home area with 3-4 days off..and then away we go.

Anybody here that back all of this up??
Old 08-13-2006, 05:58 AM

just PM this guy= ranger 1 , he with his wife were just hired on at medway,oh.im a solo but your post sounds familiar.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:58 PM

will do that, thanks..
p.s. i made a typo above, the training hours are 150hrs.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Rookie

They do not have any training schools. Show up with your CDL and you go through orientation. This can happen in several different cities and I believe Memphis is one of them. They do have a sliding scale for OTR. I drive for them and am on a dedicated account. THey seem to be treating me very well.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:28 PM