View Poll Results: How fast is your truck?
60 mph or slower 0 0%
61 - 64 mph 4 28.57%
65 - 69 mph 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The 9900i I drove pulling food tankers was right around 78 - 79 somewhere. That's running a C-15 500, and 3.42 rear ends. The truck I drove hauling heavy equipment would do 73 (governed, of course). This was with a 500 DD60 and 4.11s. The end dump I drove wasn't governed, but, with an East Quad, and only a 350BC, it was geared so low I could only go about 71 or 72. I was told the truck itsself originally came with 3.36s, but then 4.33s were swapped in, without replacing the 13 direct it came with. So, in effect, I was turning almost 1900 at 65.
As for dump trucks.. the RD46 quad axle I was just taken out of would only run, at best, about 72 - 73, and that was empty. Loaded, you could just forget about it. I'm not sure what the rear end gears were. I was told they were 5.03s, but I never could find the product specs plate which told me what they were. The motor was a 350hp E7. The quint axle CL713 I drive now has a 427 E7, and can do 75 with plenty to spare. I've never felt the need to drive it past that. Likewise, I don't know what the rear end gears on this one is, either, but I can tell they're considerably shorter than the RD Mack I had previously. But this one also has the 8LL, with deep reduction, so, if I ever need it, it's there.
Oh, yeah.. there was also that little stint where I got the "bright" idea of going to Swift as an experienced driver. Yeah, I get the "jackass" award for that one. Anyhow, running a 2003 Freightliner Columbia, with a 455/490 DD60 (this was one of the trucks with the dual stacks on the side, and no fairings, which were exclusively ordered for the flatbed division. The typical Columbias and FLDs had a 370/430 DD60), 9 direct, and 2.93 rear ends, I was turning 1500 at 60. I don't know what they turn now that Swift's been turned up, but I'd imagine it would have to be at least 1600 - 1650 at 65. Of course, they've probably changed the product specs on the trucks they've purchased since then.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Rookie

It would make a few of you cry.We had a major accident about 45 miles from the shop and 4 of our large tow units were clocked all at 90 plus mph.!st we do not always run like that but its is 2 am and one tractor trailer driver and one 4 wheeler each were traped in the wreck.We got followed all the way to the crash and started getting the riot act from a city cop (who was 45 miles out of the city limits) when the Trooper informed him that he was out of his city and we were needed for the rescue.City dude has held a gruge ever since.Even got me las summer for towing a loaded tractor trailer at the speed limit. Agian late late at nite but I was running the speed limit(aprox gvw was 120,000 lbs all brakes were hooked up between all the units so it was as safe as ever. He called it speed greater than resonable which the court tossed out. So the computor says she will run 102 and I would say its pretty close.During normal travels I go with the flow of traffic but I- 95 is starting to look like a race track as seems some 4 wheeles really can not handlle getting passed by a big truck.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

71mph :sad:

Can't wait to pick up a T600 this spring.