View Poll Results: How fast is your truck?
60 mph or slower 0 0%
61 - 64 mph 4 28.57%
65 - 69 mph 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My Averitt truck will run 69mph.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Default How Fast??

Man, I drive a company truck, and as hard as it may be to believe, it is a triple digit truck!!

It will do 70.2 MPH!! :roll:

Useless
Old 10-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
I've said it a million times on this Forum about Governed Trucks and I'll say it one more time-Governors are Dangerous in Trucking
First thing i did, on my trucks, i took all the restriction off!

My truck, could only have one governer, and that would be me!

BTW, I rarely run over 70 mph, most of the time less, but if i need it for whatever reasons, i want it all here!

But, tho i agree with Yoopr, that for expirienced, responsible drivers, governed trucks is a safety hasard, sometimes, you have to choose lesser of two evils!

I wouldn't want to see, all this rookies(no offence, everybody was once), flying around, in ungoverned trucks! :shock:
Old 10-22-2005, 08:04 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

i guess owning your own rig has its plus's especially if you want to burn past the posted speed limits. if it doesnt affect the bottom line moneywise, go for it. on the other hand, being a company driver we have to put up with 65, 67, 69 or less, mostly less, i am a company driver, that means i play by their rules, and run it the way they want it ran, 65mph, i will still get there as fast and make my money. and it will be legal too.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk
i guess owning your own rig has its plus's especially if you want to burn past the posted speed limits.
It has nothing to do, with running fast(at least in my case)!

It has everything to do, with having more options!

Accelerator, is as valuable driving tool, probably even more valuable, than brakes!

You wouldn't want to drive a truck with restricted brakes? Would you? :wink:
Old 10-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'll make a simple explanation-Ungoverned truck will get you out of a "Situation"
I agree with the Governed for Newbies but still there are ALOT of 2 lane roads driven on and 4 wheelers have a tendency to speed up a bit when getting passed.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:32 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
I'll make a simple explanation-Ungoverned truck will get you out of a "Situation"
I agree with the Governed for Newbies but still there are ALOT of 2 lane roads driven on and 4 wheelers have a tendency to speed up a bit when getting passed.
great, so in a truck governed at 65mph, just run 60mph, then theres 5 mph left on the throttle. you dont need a fast truck to get out of a situation. you just need to slow down in the first place. your load will still be on time. generally its fast trucks that cause the situation, especially those fast trucks that blow by others in a 65mph state and tailgate others, 4 wheelers included, then have the nerve to whine and bitch about people going too slow.

yoopr, i can see your point, but a great percentage of drivers, use their fast truck as an excuse to bend the rules. and those drivers know who they are.

as far as governed for newbies.. so when is a newbie not a new driver in your opinion? when does that driver have the right to break the speed limits and earn the super trucker status?

when i say super trucker status, i am talkign about those drivers that sit in truck stops and brag about how much such and such ticket cost them that day, or how they called so and so DOT man a P**** or F*** or whatnot, those people may have fast trucks, but they are a hinderance to the rest of us proffessionals. they have no business being on the road, much less performing safety sensative job functions and holding a cdl.

I have a low tolerance for drivers of big trucks that think they are above the normal rule. if it is posted 65mph do you think its ok to do 66mph? not in the eyes of the law, or that poor little 4 wheeler you are tailgating. i get sick and tired of hearing a driver on the cb while running I-5 N/S in ca, or, asking what the "bears are letting them get away with" that particular day. i wish at times i carried a "badge" and authority, so i could ticket these drivers myself.

being a truck drivers requires a special permit, along with that special permit comes a degree of proffesionalism and respect. as well as consideration. and an ability to follow the rules.

i drive a gov. truck, i follow the rules, with only 3 yrs OTR so far, i am still a noob.. but i never had a close call, a ticket, or been late on a load

i know this is looking like a rant, i am sorry it may seem out of context, but its a sore spot. a trucker trying to make up time killed my loved one due to speeding his fully loaded big truck, he had been driving 15 years OTR and didnt think he did anything wrong. 72 in 65 he was doing, with no disregard for a little 4 wheeler doing 65 around an R.V. on a clear day in a 65 mph truck state. a 4 wheeler that carried my family.

tell me experience counts. not when it matters,. and not when you use it to show off or break the rules or try to look cool and be a big shot.

just follow the rules, that true proffessionalism at its finest.

peace
Old 10-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Board Icon

well i've driven 28 yrs with no tickets or accidents so I guess I do have SOME sense.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk
as far as governed for newbies.. so when is a newbie not a new driver in your opinion? when does that driver have the right to break the speed limits and earn the super trucker status?
First, i'm trully sorry for your loss! :sad:

Now, to answer your questions, for your first question, i'd say it depends, but i believe, at around 10 years! :roll:

And for your second question, believe it or not, most of those "supertruckers", are under that time!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Board Regular

The company truck I drove was governed at 80 never been in a truck that was governed in the 60's