User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Got to be a company out there for me

Well, I just moved to South Carolina, and looking for a company to work for, don't care if it is local, regional, OTR, whatever. Anyone know of one that will hire me? Just to offer a recap of my situation (A few people on here will no doubt remember).

Went to swift school last September, drove for them up until march. Got fired because of a preventable in February, with that preventable I also got a moving violation. So I got 6 months experience OTR, and as you know, all these companies like to say "Ohh if you can get x number of months in with another company we would love to hire you", but of course finding that 'other company' is impossible when they all say that!

So if anyone knows a company in SC that is hiring and will look past a single accident and violation on my record, please let me know! (My record is spotless other then that accident).
Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Board Regular

I feel your pain there Matcat.
I'm in the same situation, 1 accident, not preventable, no tickets and 5 months OTR.... but nobody wants to take me.
still looking though.... Keep your head up something will come up....
Old 06-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Hey youngblood!! Didn't Golfhobo offer to try and get you on at his outfit? If I remember correctly, he is in the Carolinas somewhere. If you don't remember the offer, go back and search the thread. (you know which thread) :wink:

Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Hey youngblood!! Didn't Golfhobo offer to try and get you on at his outfit? If I remember correctly, he is in the Carolinas somewhere. If you don't remember the offer, go back and search the thread. (you know which thread) :wink:
Yeah I left him a few messages a few weeks ago but he hasn't replied yet.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Fired for a single preventable? What exactly was the nature of the incident? I can't help but to think there are some relevant details which you've left out.

Where in SC are you, and how open are you to doing sitework and road construction work (dumps, water trucks, etc.)? I might be able to put you in touch with some people who'll take you on, but I can't promise you anything.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 AM

dewercs2 wrote:
I'm in the same situation, 1 accident, not preventable, no tickets and 5 months OTR.... but nobody wants to take me.

Hey dewercs -
First, glad to see you are doing well and have healed,
second, I don't think you can compare the two situations, you were not ticketed, and given the chance to explain your accident I think there might be some forgiveness, unfortunatly, it is not usually the company that says no but their insurance as we all know.
I do pray that you will be able to find a company and get on with life.

Matcat:
With a preventable, a moving violation and limited experience, you will have a tough time, when I first began driving, in 1985 I drove a cryogenics tanker and rolled it in 1989. It was ruled my fault, I had four years experience and it took until 1991 for a company to give me a break, sadly, you may have a long road ahead.

BOL....
Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
Fired for a single preventable? What exactly was the nature of the incident? I can't help but to think there are some relevant details which you've left out.

Where in SC are you, and how open are you to doing sitework and road construction work (dumps, water trucks, etc.)? I might be able to put you in touch with some people who'll take you on, but I can't promise you anything.
A very minor rear ender of another truck in dense fog. Personally the only reason I feel they got rid of me is because fuel prices skyrocketed, and they just wanted anything they could use to cut out drivers.

Ultimately it was my fault, I shouldn't of been going as fast as I was, next time I know better, assuming I can find work for a next time.

I am in Sumter, about as central in the state as you can get. I'm open to pretty much anything.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

They probably still classed it as a major preventable, though, since it involved collision with another vehicle on a public roadway. If you'd bumped into another truck in a terminal or on a customer's private property, then you probably wouldn't have been canned.

The company I worked for before I was called up has a subsidiary in that area. I'll give them a call tomorrow, and ask what jobs are open, and what their requirements are, but I can you offhand they'd only hire you to drive a straight truck if they do hire you - most likely a dump. But, let me find out what they say, first.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerpreacher
dewercs2 wrote:

Hey dewercs -
First, glad to see you are doing well and have healed,
second, I don't think you can compare the two situations, you were not ticketed, and given the chance to explain your accident I think there might be some forgiveness, unfortunatly, it is not usually the company that says no but their insurance as we all know.
I do pray that you will be able to find a company and get on with life.

Matcat:
With a preventable, a moving violation and limited experience, you will have a tough time, when I first began driving, in 1985 I drove a cryogenics tanker and rolled it in 1989. It was ruled my fault, I had four years experience and it took until 1991 for a company to give me a break, sadly, you may have a long road ahead.

BOL....
Thanks Truckerpreacher...

I was refering to the inability of getting hired. I list my accident as a non preventable on an application but i think that is what kicks me to the, do not hire stack of applications. I haven't gotten the chance to explain the accident fully. When I do speak with a recruiter they say it was a rollover, then there is nothing we can do. They pretty much don't want to hear anything else about it. I just spoke to my previous company and the recruiter said that nobody has called them and that the owner is willing to speak to anyone about my accident and how freak it was. so.....
I think I will look to see if I can talk/email one of those head hunter recruiters that have multiple accounts that need filling. Maybe I can get on that way. If I could find a job spotting trailers I'd take that if it was close to home...

Matcat... Take whatever spot you can get into a company and drive safe.

sorry to have hijacked the thread...
Old 06-20-2008, 09:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible

A very minor rear ender of another truck in dense fog. Personally the only reason I feel they got rid of me is because fuel prices skyrocketed, and they just wanted anything they could use to cut out drivers.

Ultimately it was my fault, I shouldn't of been going as fast as I was, next time I know better, assuming I can find work for a next time.

I am in Sumter, about as central in the state as you can get. I'm open to pretty much anything.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no such thing as a " very minor rear ender " in a CMV..... especially one that was preventable.......