User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Willow Run Foods Binghamton, NY

Does anyone know anything about Willow Run Foods out of Binghamton (actually Kirkwood), NY?

I know that they distribute to fast food restaurants throughout the northeast, a lot of Arby's and Sonic...

I know this past year they the received 2 major contracts 1 for $380 million with ARCOP to service Arby's throughout the Northeast... The other was for $300 million to service existing and new sonics in the North East (as Sonic expands in th Northeast)...

They offer a 4 day work week with 2 - 2 day runs...

They also take driver trainees... A ten week training program. Heres where my questions come as I cannot get a hold of the recruiter...

Is this pretty much OTR training? Do you go out with a trainer twice a week for 2 day runs to train? Class room training? Yard training? In Binghamton? For how long?

Anyone else know anything else about the company? Does not seem like a bad deal! They offer training to those with a clean license and good work history. Not only are you home weekly but they offer a 4 day work week! I know, I know unloading the truck... I really don't mind that, sounds like a good way to keep in shape... I can also imagine you have to put a 48' railer into some pretty crazy places... ...but that is ok... If that is how I am trained, and the only company i have driven for I will know any better (as far as complaining about it).

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Anyone else know anything else about the company? Does not seem like a bad deal! They offer training to those with a clean license and good work history. Not only are you home weekly but they offer a 4 day work week! I know, I know unloading the truck... I really don't mind that, sounds like a good way to keep in shape... I can also imagine you have to put a 48' railer into some pretty crazy places... ...but that is ok... If that is how I am trained, and the only company i have driven for I will know any better (as far as complaining about it).

Thoughts? Comments?
-I hope you REALLY like physical work in ALL TYPES of weather(rain,snow,hot,humid,cold,below zero).
-Make sure they teach you how to back up REALLY good around park cars and buildings and tight parking lots
-Make sure that they also teach you how to monuvor that 65' long truck around tight parking lots and buildings.
-Enjoy backing into some of your delivers from the street and backing out of some into the street(without a spotter)
-Get good a BLIND SIDE backing
-Hope you enjoy NJ,NYC,Philly, and the north east. Willow Run does
-Keep in mind that when you wake up from your 10 hour break, you may be in the same parking lot that you just finished delivering to(or about to deliver to)
If I can think of anymore comments, I'll let you know.
And yes, I have done all of the above(except NYC). After all I am a FOOD SERVICE MONKEY :twisted: :wink:

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info Double R,

I have gotten some info since... You do one week class room training (M-F)... One week yard training (M-f)... Then you go out with a trainer on the trainers normal runs for a MINIMUM of 10-12 weeks. When the trainer thinks you are ready you may take the NYS road test but you are still with him no less then 10 weeks even if you pass your CDL test before that.

While with the trainer you are taught what you described below... I feel pretty comfortable after hearing they spend a lot a lot of time with on backing and a lot of time with your trainer backing in/out of and how to get in and of certain type of stores... As long as I am taught i ma cool with that. i know you will not be a pro, but not a lot of companies spend 3 months with you making sure you can do the job.

I really don't mind the thought of unloading... Sure it might suck, but it is not impossible.

Double R, out of curiosity do you drive locally, otr or 2 day runs like willow run does? That is one of the things I like about willow run, is the 4 day work week... Hey you can't have everything but taht is cool...

Being this is what you do, have you heard good or bad of Willow Ru-n Foods?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

I have done both local and regional runs for the company that I am with. Currently I do three days out(m-w) starting in PA and finish in NJ. The last two days of the week I am either running a local route or playing office monkey(been here 4 years). Trying to get the runs set up to allow me to go back to a two and two(m-t,th-f).

As for Willow Run, I have heard some very favorable things from thier drivers. I use to deliver to a mall in NJ last year and Willow Run was there the same day and time I was. Driver has been with them for many years. Really liked them and said nothing but good things. It this type of work, it is hard to find a driver that has been with the company for more then five years. I know we go through drivers like water.
Any more questions, feel free to ask.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 06-26-2008, 11:12 PM

you can make just as much money elsewhere doing a lot less work. i see those trucks in the tinyest little spaces ever. headache all day long. driving around sweaty and lightheaded all day long from humping so much damn product. pass