User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Don't use the word FIRED on resume

With such a large pool of job seekers available who were laid off due to "lack of work" It is almost a immediate disqualifier. If you were fired from any job, I would remove it from your resume. If it leaves to big a gap on your resume, you may have to start thinking outside the box.

With so many overqualified applicants looking for lower paying, or entry level jobs, any blemish on your resume is a serious handicap. Put yourself in the employers shoes for a sec.. Would you rather hire a experienced, individual with a impeccable work record who was laid off from downsizing, or somebody who got themselves fired on their resume?

There is a survey that says nearly 20% of Americans were fired or forced to resign a job in the last 10 years. With this being the worse economy since the great depression, it is no wonder that companies are springing up on the internet profiting off those with "bad job references". Capitalism at it's worse.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Board Icon

Lying on a resume is usually grounds for immediate termination. With DAC so widely used in the industry, as well as checking former employers being a FMCSA requirement for new hires, leaving companies off your application is a poor decision, as it will likely catch up with you.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

When asked "reason for leaving" I usually tell them "They just asked me to please not work for them anymore"
Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Last year i received a resume that included a degree in business. Going online to the university i looked up the name and degree. I found it rather humurous that the photo associated with the name was an african-american and the person applying was white.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Last year i received a resume that included a degree in business. Going online to the university i looked up the name and degree. I found it rather humurous that the photo associated with the name was an african-american and the person applying was white.
I've heard of people doing that, and getting away with it for a time. But when it caught up with them, it went down much harder on them. A warden at a prison in WI claimed to have a phd in criminology, and some years later, someone found out that the real degree was in CT. The warden ended up behind some of the same bars he had been in charge of.

Thinking back, I have NEVER been fired from ANY job. If anything, I've always been told they'd like to have me stay on. Been looking into retiring, and the company I'm with tells me they would like for me to stay where I am. But, the freight suck. Might go to part-time, local with them, but I've had enough.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I was fired and because of the terrible economy I went to CDL school and started over driving truck. For now I'm still working.

I figure I probably don't need to be to specific about that previous job. Isn't any future employer going to pay more attention to the most recent work? I've been driving over a year so I'm not sure what they'll want to look at beyond that.