View Poll Results: Will Obama be our Next President?
Yes, Obama will be the next President of the United States. Enough Democratic voters will vote for him no matter who he picks for Vice President. 1 0.60%
Yes, Obama will be the next President of the United States IF the Vice President is Hillary Clinton. 0 0%
Yes, Obama will be the next President of the United States IF the Vice President is ANYONE but Hilliary Clinton. 0 0%
Yes, Obama will the be next President of the United States IF he can win most of the blue-collar, Hispanic, and Jewish Democratic voting block PLUS having Hillary Clinton as Vice President. 0 0%
Yes, Obama will the be next President of the United States IF he can win most of the blue-collar, Hispanic, and Jewish Democratic voting block PLUS having anyone BUT Hillary Clinton as Vice President. 0 0%
Yes, Obama will the be next President of the United States IF he can win most of the blue-collar, Hispanic, and Jewish Democratic voting block. Whoever is the Vice President doesn't matter that much. 0 0%
No, John McCain will be the next President of the United States because he will win enough of the blue collar, Hispanic, and Jewish Democratic voters. 0 0%
No, John McCain will be the next President of the United States because Obama's inexperience combined with his association with various individuals (Jeremiah Wright, Michael Pfleger, Antoin "Tony" Rezko, Michelle Obama) will deny him the preside 0 0%
No, John McCain will be the next President of the United States because of a combination of factors mentioned above. 0 0%
167 99.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I remember back in 1980, when Ted Kennedy challenged Jimmy Carter for the Democratic nomination..... he lost.

What did he do??

He set out to become a top notch deal broker on Capitol Hill, and regardless of anyone's political affiliations, history has already shown that he became a dammed good one. In time, his reputation for brokering bipartisan agreements became increasingly formidable. One senator with whom Kennedy has worked most effectively is Senator Orin Hatch. (R-Utah) Hatch and Kennedy are very close personal friends, despite their political differences. In point of fact, it was Orin Hatch who helped Kennedy beat his alcohol habit.

Clinton is at a bit of a cross road; Ted Kennedy's time appears to be growing short due to his malignant brain tumor. (BTW, folks, I'd appreciate it if we cold keep the political bashing and personal slams out of this... if this was a member of your family, I'm sure you would want the same respect afforded your loved one.) The Democrats will need someone who can broker deals as effectively as Kennedy has for the past several decades.

Ultimately, Clinton is well positioned to become a very powerful deal broker, providing that she gets out there and campaigns hard for Obama. Should Obama win, she will be rewarded with bright prospects for increasing influence and power in the Senate, or she could play a very instrumental role in Obama's cabinet. Should Obama lose, her political star in the senate could continue to rise; but again, I think that this is contingent upon her campaigning hard and effectively for Obama.

Now, should Clinton decide to effectively sit this Presidential campaign and election out, then I believe that there are many within the Democratoc Party's smoke filled rooms who will blame her for the divisive roll that she played in her determination to keep her campaign alive, even after all of the numbers were pointing to Obama; in that case, the political machinery of the Democratic party could chose to punish her, and limit her prospects and spheres of influence.

I don't know about other parts of the country, or other states, but down here in Texas, Hillary has a considerable amount of fence mending to do with the Democratic political machinery; I suspect that the same may be true in other states as well.

As the VP candidate, I do believe that she could bring some strength to the Democratic ticket, although if Obama is elected, (which I see a being very possible, although it is by no means a foregone conclusion) she would wield very little power as Vice President.

My guess is that Hillary Clinton wants power more than whatever "glory" may come from being the Vice President. Regardless of what anyone may think of Bill's or Hillary's politics, or the "sleaze factor" that we saw rear it's ugly head again during the primary season, the fact is that they have built a history of being excellent political strategists..... although when I look at all of the mis-steps that occurred during Hillary Clinton's campaign, I'm left scratching my head.... it was as if both Hillary and Bill Clinton took leave of their political senses.

In any event, regardless of your political affiliations, PLEASE GET OFF OF YOUR DUFFS AND VOTE when the time comes!! I understand what it feels like to be jaded, but I am also keenly aware that there are people in all too many countries who risk their lives and personal safety to excercise a right that all too many of us take for granted.

Again, regardless of your political affiliations, when you look at many of the contests which took place in the Democratic primaries, some of those races were very close. The past two Presidential Elections resulted in delays in determining the winner.... now, we can argue about how vote counts were recorded, or the accuracy of those vote counts, but the fact is that many people went to the polls, and made their choices known. Our Constitution is strengthened through the discourse.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
...In any event, regardless of your political affiliations, PLEASE GET OFF OF YOUR DUFFS AND VOTE when the time comes!! I understand what it feels like to be jaded, but I am also keenly aware that there are people in all too many countries who risk their lives and personal safety to excercise a right that all too many of us take for granted.
Amen brother! 8)

Start researching now in getting a "write-in" ballot sent to your home address.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Only 134 more days until the election. According to this survey, 9 of us say Obama will win, 9 of us say that McCain will win. If you haven't yet voted in this survey, what are ya waitin' fer?!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I think I will bet money in Vegas on Obama winning. That way if he does win I have a hedge against my taxes going up. If McCain wins I lose my bet with the bookie, but the lack of tax increases will make it a wash. :lol:

Actually I bet Obama will win, because even the dead vote twice in Chicago before boarding the bus for Gary Indiana. :wink:

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Board Regular

Although, I agree with what Ridge Runner said, I have a few different ideas to add into the "pot" as well. I think that racisism and sexism permeates every walk of our lives here in the U.S. Therefore, I don't think that we are ready for a female or black president. Having said that, I can't imagine McCain the decrepit old gizzer that he is staying alive through 4 years either.

For Heaven's Sake he is ancient, he looks like he's ready for a wheel chair any minute. I'm sick and tired of the SSDD attitude in Washington. What with the mortgage crisis, oil/fuel crisis and our young men dieing in Afghanistan and Iraq on a daily basis, we definitely need some new blood in the office. Not just some recycled Republicans over and over again. Same names different positions over and over again. SIGH!!!!

I am not a Democrat, I am an Independent but am exhausted from seeing the lack of responsibility that invades every waking moment in Washington. Does anyone ever think about why people don't take responsibility for their actions? We are shown every day in Washington how there is some scap goat whenever there is a crisis. It's usually someone on the bottom of the ladder not on the top. This attitude is so pervasive in this country that it seems no one has to take responsibility anymore they can always pass the buck to an underling to take the "heat".

Washington shows us this attitude day after day, month after month and year after year. I usually don't pay attention to politics because frankly I think for the past several decades we have seen corruption in both parties and the desire to "pass the buck" on to someone else, also a lack of forsight.

It's time that we have a person of integrity and forsight for our future. Someone who will stop the industries from pulling up and going south, or to India and China taking all our middle class jobs with them. I am not necessarily advocating legislation but perhaps real incentives for these companies to stay here where we need the jobs. Look how many industries have left: the garment industry is all but eliminated in the U.S. The auto industry farms out a huge portion of their business around the globe. Whenever you need tech support for either software of hardware you usually get some foreigner in a foreign country who speaks Pigeon English. Before anyone goes off the deep end, I am not racist my husband is a foreigner. [BTW-just got married in March for those of you who knew I was single.] I just get sick and tired of knowing that "our people" are suffering as we send billions to foreign lands.

Everyone in this country should have Health Care irregardless of income. If we are able to send billions to other countries, even some countries that harbor our enemies, then we should be able to have Health Care for every citizen. How dare us sit around and let people die here when our resources are drained for other lands.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:49 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Regarding corruption in government, I agree that it spans both parties. But keep in mind that as much as you rail on Bush, it is a democratic congress with the lowest approval rating, by a long shot, in the history of this nation, that is just as culpable in our government failures as the president is.

Quote:
Everyone in this country should have Health Care irregardless of income. If we are able to send billions to other countries, even some countries that harbor our enemies, then we should be able to have Health Care for every citizen. How dare us sit around and let people die here when our resources are drained for other lands.
Ask Canada how that Universal Healthcare is working out for them. :roll:

In addition, why should I be expected to foot the bill for insurance for people that are too damn lazy to work? Granted, that's a broad brush, but we have plans in place to cover those people that are disabled and/or otherwise cannot work and I'm just fine for that. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be part of ponying up untold millions of dollars every year to cover the millions of worthless, slack-jawed idiots that can't or won't work because they are too stupid and lazy to get a job.

:x

Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Since there is little difference in how much either party is going to screw us, I use a very simple method to determine my vote - the non-incumbent party gets my vote.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finger_lakes
Since there is little difference in how much either party is going to screw us, I use a very simple method to determine my vote - the non-incumbent party gets my vote.
So I take it you voted for Perot in '92 and '96 as well as Nadar in 2000. :wink:
Old 06-26-2008, 02:27 AM
Board Regular
Default Government B.S.

Twilight Flyer Stated:
Ask Canada how that Universal Healthcare is working out for them.

In addition, why should I be expected to foot the bill for insurance for people that are too damn lazy to work? Granted, that's a broad brush, but we have plans in place to cover those people that are disabled and/or otherwise cannot work and I'm just fine for that. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be part of ponying up untold millions of dollars every year to cover the millions of worthless, slack-jawed idiots that can't or won't work because they are too stupid and lazy to get a job.

I used to haul trucks to Canada. One time I was very ill, I had to go to an after hours clinic. Would you believe that I paid $68 for the services along with the medication? When I returned to to the states and had to go to an after hours clinic here it cost $120 plus $40 for medication.

Why is it that every person who doesn't want Universal HealthCare ALWAYS picks the model that "allegedly doesn't work". Why don't you folks talk about England, Germany, South Africa? Some of the countries that it does work in. It is so convenient that you ALWAYS choose the ones that no one approves of.

Frankly $68 is a hell of a lot cheaper that $160. Back again to my comment about sending billions to other countries when our own folks are suffering!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:03 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Why is it that every person who doesn't want Universal HealthCare ALWAYS picks the model that "allegedly doesn't work".
Universal Healthcare doesn't work anywhere. Period.

Quote:
Why don't you folks talk about England, Germany, South Africa? Some of the countries that it does work in.
Doesn't work there, either. Post the proof that it's successful and hasn't bankrupted the country, morally and fiscally.

Quote:
It is so convenient that you ALWAYS choose the ones that no one approves of.
I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept. Univeral Healthcare doesn't work, yet you and your kind continue to scream for it. So, let me repost:

Why should I be expected to foot the bill for insurance for people that are too damn lazy to work? Granted, that's a broad brush, but we have plans in place to cover those people that are disabled and/or otherwise cannot work and I'm just fine for that. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be part of ponying up untold millions...actually, it's BILLIONS... of dollars every year to cover the millions of worthless, slack-jawed idiots that can't or won't work because they are too stupid and lazy to get a job.

Answer my question. You Universal Healthcare nuts want it and want me to pay for it. I want to know why.