User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default UNC-Butch Davis

Whoda thunk it? I was shocked to see this. I didn't know Davis was THAT far in trouble. Kinda came outta the blue for me.

Butch Davis fired as North Carolina football coach - ESPN
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Board Icon

What a two faced liar the Chancellor is. He was adamantly backing Butch during the investigation to all of a sudden slamming him as a bad guy.issedoff: What a waste of money to expand the stadium, a lot of fans/donors liked Butch, wonder how many decide not to give money or turn their tickets back in now. Now we will slink back to our cellar spot beside Dook quietly.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
What a two faced liar the Chancellor is. He was adamantly backing Butch during the investigation to all of a sudden slamming him as a bad guy.issedoff: What a waste of money to expand the stadium, a lot of fans/donors liked Butch, wonder how many decide not to give money or turn their tickets back in now. Now we will slink back to our cellar spot beside Dook quietly.
I guess that means you were just as shocked. Have you heard anything about an interim? Or any other names being floated about?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Board Icon

Shocked..........yes pleaseissedoff: Even their official athletic site seemed shocked by the press release last night. They just had a little 2 paragraph spot on the main page about it and said more info would be available today. Of course it's now come out that the AD, Baddour is stepping down also. He was at the end of a 3 year extension on his contract but I bet he was forced by them saying they would not offer him a new contract after all of this. I think this just goes to show how powerful boosters and donors can be. UNC has some serious high rollers behind the scenes. Know how much it costs to get lower bowl seating priority at the Dean Dome? More than $20K a year even if your a former head coach of the Men's Basketball team. Bill Guthridge, the man who took over for Dean Smith can only get upper ring seats. Former Senator John Edwards has lower ring seats very close to the center line a few rows up from the scorers table.

I have heard Al Groh is looking for another Head Coaching gig, please gawd don't let him go to Chapel Hill. I guess they will promote John Shoop who is the Offensive Coord to the HC position for now since the season is just a month away. I think I would rather see Everett Withers get a shot at being the new HC. He's the current Defensive Coord, I really like his style.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

My buddy from high school,(Sam Pittman), that I played ball with is/was the offensive line coach at UNC. I wonder what his status is, I haven't talked to him since he was at Northern Illinoins.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Board Icon

They named Everett Withers the Interim HC. Great call, I didn't have any faith in Shoop leading the team. He knows offense but that's it.

As for Pittman, here ya go:Pittman Named Associate Head Coach - NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Board Member

WOW! Thanks for that Mr.Ford. What irony that he is coaching the O-Line. I was the starting running back our junior year until Sam showed upissedoff: It ended up being a good choice. I was moved to offensive guard and ended up blocking for him:thumbsup:It ended up being a good switch. Sam played linebacker on defense and made all-state. It's something we have joked about since. He'll end up as a head coach in a D-1 school before it's all over with. I'll have to get ahold of him, I haven't talked to him since he was at NIU. I know Blake is in a mess too, but he was one heck of a recruiter and Sam learned about recruiting from him. Blake was the head coach at OU and Sam was here with him as O-Line coach.

I don't know if you had ever heard of him, but Rick Bryan played at OU as a defensive takle and made All American. He went on to play with the Falcons for I think 13yrs. Anyway, Rick played for Coweta and was a linebacker/defensive end, big ol' dude, 6-5 265lbs, that was huge back in '78-'79. Sam was about 6-1 225lbs. There was a play that no-matter who we were watching game film on, the coach would play. Sam had the ball, ran through the line and just flat ran over Rick, and it made on heck of a sound. Just one of those moments in your life that sticks with you, thanks for indulging and old memory:zzz: you can wake up now
Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Board Icon

Man, we had a coach who did the same thing a few years before me. He thought one of his MLB's was playing soft so he told the big RB, and I mean big because we ran a Power Offense scheme, to come up thru the middle like that again and he'd show him a thing. Mind you the coach was 60 years old at the time and the team was in full pads. Boy came thru there and rolled him up like a Venetian blind. Coach ended up with a busted knee that left him with a permanent limp, all in the name of showing his MLB how to not play soft.:lol:

I only hope that Blake acted completely alone and nobody still on the staff has the itch to do the same down the road unless they do it for another school.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

E-mailed Sam today and he replied back. Everything sounds OK and of course he's busy as all get out. He say's he'll keep in touch but who knows, it was good to hear back from him anyway.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Board Icon

I woulda never thought Butch would have been in any kind of trouble. I liked him. Seems like a good coach. He did well at Miami, and from what I could tell, he was doing well at NC.

http://watsonsysco.com/