User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SEC Championship?

Who you got? Both teams are undefeated. I like both teams but because my team plays in the SEC West, I will have to go with the Gumps. However, in the national championship game I will pull for whoever wins the SEC Championship game Saturday.

Indeed, as for as I’m concerned, the SEC Championship game in reality this year is the true national championship game because it matches up the two best teams in the country in my opinion, as I believe both SEC teams could beat whoever ends up playing the SEC Champion in the national title game.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Board Icon

I don't believe so on the SEC Championship being the true National Title game. 'Bama is lucky to still be perfect as is Florida. Florida needed some help from the refs to beat Arkansas, or did we forget that phantom pass interference call Florida got on their winning drive? The SEC apologized, admitted it was a phantom call and suspended the whole crew. 'Bama was very lucky to slip past Auburn Friday but they haven't looked so hot most of the season, they've looked very vunerable.

What would have been funny would have been if Bama or Florida had lost last week, then won the SEC Title game and Texas win out, would it be enough for TCU to jump from 4 to 2? The BCS lovers got very lucky that didn't happen, had it taken place and TCU still got left out all heck would have broken loose.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think they should scrap the BCS and just have a national playoff. Have the winners from each conference play the other conference champions until their was one true national champion. In a national championship playoff my money would be on whomever won the SEC. The SEC is still the strongest conference in the nation.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Board Icon

I agree with everyone. Mr. Ford, both Florida and Bama has had some really close games, and some luck. Arkansas had a really good chance of beating Florida. I personally think Arkansas got out-coached in that game. It it was me, I would have went for it on 4th down, instead of trying for the fg (which he missed). Same way, last week against LSU. I don't care too much for Patrino (spelling). :thumbsdown:
Anyway...Auburn came close to beating Bama. Of course, that's a huge rivalry. Both Florida and Bama has blown out some teams, but I think the SEC championship is gonna be a tight-low scoring game. I will be surprised if it's a shoot-out. I think Bama has a good chance of beating Florida.
Most folks around here think that Texas is going to win it all out. Me personally, I don't see Texas beating neither Florida nor Bama. I don't know if Texas could beat TCU.
Texas beat OU by only 3 points, and A&M gave Texas all they wanted. Of course both of those games are big rivals.
Back on the subject, I think Bama can beat Florida this year. Why? I don't really know. I think Saban's offense will be able to move the ball, with his pocket-passing offense. Just like Arkansas. If Saban can call the right plays, and contain Florida's offense, just as Arkansas did, they got good chances. I've heard that Bama doesn't have a defense, but from the games I've seen, it looked good to me. I believe Florida is a one-man show, Tebow. You contain Tebow, you got it!

GMAN, I also believe they should have play-offs. Sure, it might take away the bowl games, and MONEY, but I think that would be fair. The small schools do it. The BCS is a bunch of baloney.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Board Icon

Bama has a scary good defense, really like McClain at the MLB spot, he reminds me of Ray Lewis. Smart as heck in sniffing out what the offense is trying to do. Instincts are unbelievable, he can sniff out the offense and instantly know what D to switch to without having to look to the sidelines for help. If someone says that Bama doesn't have a D then they must be on crack. As for beating Florida, they better hope Ingram can go full tilt after getting knocked out of the Auburn game with a hip injury. He really takes the load off of a 1st year starting QB's shoulders when he's running downhill.

Tebow is only part of the problem with Florida. They have a speedy running game by committee that you still have to stop. It's a hybrid version of the triple option that Navy runs. They like to use the backside TE as an inside pitchman sometimes as FSU found out the hard way or they will bring a WR in motion and use him as the pitchman either inside or outside. Jeff Demps is a friggin 100meter track star with shoulder pads on at RB, once he turns the corner, say good night sweetheart.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I think they should scrap the BCS and just have a national playoff.
Welcome to 5 years ago.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Since I am sick of the SEC and their fans I hope Texas beats either of them.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Board Regular

I’d like to see 8 major conferences formed with 14 teams in each conference. That would comprise a 112-team league overall in comparison to the current 117 teams and which would also mean that 5 of the current rent a victory teams would have to be drop back down into the lower Football Championship Subdivision.

I’d like also for each of the 8 conferences to be further divided into East and West divisions or North and South divisions depending on the conference and for the two conferences divisions to play a conference championship game similar to the SEC Championship game.

Then after the 8 conference champions have been determined, a seeded 8 game single elimination playoff would be played to determine the eventual real national champion.

This national championship playoff would only involve just 8 teams and would only take just three weeks to complete. Thus, the current college bowl system should also be retained. Which would give us the best of both worlds, a true national championship decided strictly on the field as opposed to a mythical national championship decided by subjective polls, and retention of the current bowl system. In addition, the money a national playoff system would generate for the 8 conferences would be astronomical!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Board Regular

Not only does TCU play a much easier schedule than either Alabama or Florida, but also they almost lost to lowly Air Force, and Texas also had its share of struggles against several weaker adversaries. Nevertheless, neither TCU nor Texas plays the same level of competition on a weekly basis that the teams in the SEC play since top to bottom the SEC is easily the toughest conference in the country and every game in the SEC is a dogfight.

Thus, some of you may believe I’m climbing out on a limb here, but in my opinion either Alabama or Florida can beat either TCU or Texas in head to head match ups and that’s why I believe this Saturday’s SEC Championship Game will be the true national championship game this year.

Furthermore, as I mentioned already above, because the Gumps are in the Western division of the SEC, I will pull for them to win come Saturday and I will also support the eventual winner of the game in the national championship as well. However, since the Gumps seemed to struggle slightly more down the stretch, I will pick Florida to win it but it will be a very close game and I believe low scoring affair. Nevertheless, it’s a game I would not want to bet on cause it could easily go either way.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad Hand View Post
Not only does TCU play a much easier schedule than either Alabama or Florida, but also they almost lost to lowly Air Force, and Texas also had its share of struggles against several weaker adversaries. Nevertheless, neither TCU nor Texas plays the same level of competition on a weekly basis that the teams in the SEC play since top to bottom the SEC is easily the toughest conference in the country and every game in the SEC is a dogfight.
There are cupcakes in every conference. Vanderbilt and Mississippi State are not the best of teams. The Air Forces and Baylors are just as bad.