User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Carl Long suspension upheld

What a joke, the guy did not gain any advantage by it and still gets punished severely. He showed up at the All-Star with a 3rd party engine that he had used at Daytona. It passed all inspections down there but failed at Charlotte the next time it was used. NASCAR said the bore was .17 cu in too large which made the engine an eyelash over the 358 max. Carl used it in practice and blew it after 3 laps, NASCAR then took the engine to inspect it and found it to be too large. They can inspect any blown engine's unless you pack up and go home. If you decide to race and drop in a new engine, NASCAR has to inspect the bad one. The bore was said to have been from the engine being worn out. It was originally a Ganassi engine that Ernie Elliott bought and fixed it up. He then sold it to Carl Long who used it at Daytona and then again at Charlotte. The engine was dyno'ed 50 HP less than what he needed to be competitive for the All-Star and again, blew up after 3 laps in practice in which he was dead last on the speed charts as it was.

Penalty:
12 race suspension(he was also banned from ANY NASCAR sanctioned events until Aug. 18th but the appeals committee changed that to Sprint Cup only)
$200,000 fine to the crew chief(the committee said Carl will not be responsible for paying that even though NASCAR said he would be originally)
Loses 200 owner and driver points. He never had any points as it was.

What did he make for racing the All-Star? $5,000 instead of $25,000 because NASCAR changed the payout at the last second. He will probably lose his Cup Series job he had with the #34 team since he cannot do anything in the Cup Series until Aug 18th still. He can try to get a job with a Busch or Truck team but it does not fix how much he's in the hole already. He owes about $20,000 to a businessman who lent him some money so he could pay a pit crew for the All-Star. He also still owed some to Ernie Elliott for that engine. They have just put a small owner/driver out of business and maybe put his family out on the street by "trying to prove a point" since he will have to sell most everything he owns.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Senior Board Member

That sucks for him. I would love to know if the NASCAR haters would be so quick to condem them if this was Chad Knaus?

Me personally if they are gonna stick be the letter of the book (whatever that is for NASCAR) then it needs to be for all, regardless of size of the team. Seems all the other teams brought the correct size engine to Charlotte.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
"I truly have a sour taste of the management in our sport. They've forgotten the roots of how this sport was created, and who are the people buying the tickets, sitting in the stands. The people in the stands are me."

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...ory?id=4225487

Last edited by mike3fan; 06-02-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Senior Board Member

The reason he was hammered so bad is per the rules the max engine cubic inch is 350 with a 8 cubic inch tolerence for heat, wear, etc. His motor was above the 8ci tolerence.

Nascar said 2 years ago if you mess with the engine, tires, or fuel it's a $250K fine.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
The reason he was hammered so bad is per the rules the max engine cubic inch is 350 with a 8 cubic inch tolerence for heat, wear, etc. His motor was above the 8ci tolerence.

Nascar said 2 years ago if you mess with the engine, tires, or fuel it's a $250K fine.
No crap Sherlock, they also said they were going to look at intent for anytihng that was considered cheating. It is painfully obvious that he had no intent with having a larger engine. It gained him zero advantage, so the intent was not to cheat so he could run good. The engine was a worn out POS and he couldn't afford another one. He had no chance at finishing any better than last unless a bunch of guys wrecked on the first lap. This is yet another example of NASCAR trying to run the little man out of town.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

What are you going to do next time when the little guy who has no chance shows up with a 434ci engine and says I bought it at a yard sale, I didn't know it was that big.

What are you going to do when the little guy goes to a racing auction and buys a MSD box. He puts it in his car and goes through inspection and it has a traction control chip in it. He says I bought the box at a auction and I don't even know what traction control looks like.

Show me Mr Ireadjayskieveryday where they said intent on the engine, tires, or fuel

The little guy has no business playing in the big money series. There are other forms of racing for the little guy.

Last edited by Scottt; 06-05-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

You fellas need to behave yourselves over here in the sports section........else I'll might sic Golfhobo on you guys, and restrict him to posting only about NASCAR for one year!:clap:

I think that you make a good point Scott. Reminds me of the Hoosier Tire debacle from not too long ago............ Not only was that entire program one of the biggest busts in recent auto racing history as it relates to product development/testing, but isn't it generally accepted in racing circles that Neil Bonnet's fatal crash was more than likely caused by those tires?

OK....back to you guys. I'm going back to war with my old foes over in the other forums!:lol: Carry on!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Board Icon

Sorry Scottt, unlike you, I don't go near Jayski. I do talk with Marty Smith from time to time since he grew up just down the road from me. He's the only person I will ever believe when it comes to rumors and stories, he hasn't been wrong yet. Remember the Chad Knaus and Steve Letarte deal at Sonoma a couple years ago? They got busted for a fender being out of shape. It was then that NASCAR said they were going to look at intent on these violations and in that instance, the intent was to cheat so they punished both teams even though they had broke no rules. They had found a "grey" area to work in and exploited it as it was an area not covered in the new COT rule book. They were straight up cheating, they hadn't mistakenly messed up a fender. Remember Jeff Gordon winning a 150 2 years ago at Daytona only to lose his 4th place starting spot for the 500 whereas others got major punishment? Per NASCAR:
Quote:
"We feel it was unintentional, and actually fairly unsafe," said NASCAR competition director Robin Pemberton. "We feel that it was a part failure. ... I think it would be marginal at best if there was any advantage. One thing you can't argue is the car was low," Pemberton said. "We have to look at that, and as a result, it will move to the tail end."
Tire wars are too dangerous for the drivers. Competition is nice but not when it comes to something as important as tires. You get a company that tries to give a cheaper tire than the $400 a tire Goodyear brings and who's to say the quality is better? That was the problem that started happening with the Hoosier's, they started getting bad quality on the track.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
That was the problem that started happening with the Hoosier's, they started getting bad quality on the track.
Remember when Jeff Gordon won the Brickyard and tried to do a big time burn-out on the front stretch and couldn't? The speculation at the time was that he was using 'black box/F-1 style' traction control technology that would not allow the tires to spin. Made sense to me. Especially since that was before the days of NECKCAR actually caring or enforcing specs.

Any thoughts Mr. Ford? Scottt?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Board Icon

Belpre I think that was more at the time due to him being a noob to doing a burnout, I believe that may have been one of his first attempts at doing one. If I remember correctly, that was the year that Marlin was running 2nd and Gordon had a big hole from a piece of debris in his left front bumper area. That was in 2004, NASCAR had already been looking for T/C devices since 2002 at Martinsville and being that he won, they would be tearing into that car if they suspected something funny was going on. Marlin was running just hundreds of a second off Gordon's times at the end, so he must have had the same T/C in his car if Gordon had one Not sure why'd you want T/C at Indy though. Now if you'd said he had it Bristol or Dover or Darlington or Martinsville, then yeah it might have been possible. Best place to watch for T/C being used is pit road, if every time the car comes out of the pit box and not spinning the tires, they probably have it hidden somewhere on the car.

Scott, I get what you and Mike are saying. Over the 8 cylinders each were 1/48th of an inch too large, he broke a rule, I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that he gained no advantage with it, so why punish him further? Take the engine and call it a day, he's already lost a bunch of money, why pile on him further when you know he can't afford that large of a fine anyways. They acted like the playground bully here and that's what is wrong with this. They didn't have to say anything publicly about it ever happening, just take the engine.

Last edited by Mr. Ford95; 06-06-2009 at 05:33 PM.