Why? It's what you're used to :P
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Anyone remember the old Houston Oilers and their coach Bum Phillips? He wore cowboy boots and a cowboy hat but would never wear his hat in the Houston Astrodome or any domed stadium because "My momma told me never to wear my hat indoors". Well Bum's son, Wade, is the Cowboys' head coach. :lol:
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
Scoe, with you living up in Oregon I'd think you'd be a big Seahawks fan but I guess we Pack fans have brothers and sisters living all over the country. I know some people who live in Texas (and some in Dallas) who are Packer fans who can't stand the Cowboys! :lol:
Funny that you should bring that up. I follow the Seahawks but when I grew up the Seahawks weren't even on the drawing board. I don't think they came into existence until about 1978 or so.

My mom loved the Packers and my dad loved the Cowboys, he even bought me an all white football helmet and drew a star on the side of it. When I was about 8 (around 1967) the Cowboys and the Packers were playing on TV and my dad had me put on the helmet and sit with him and root for the Cowboys. My mom kept telling me to take off that ugly helmet and root for the team that was going to win. I sat with my dad and started crying when the Cowboys lost and my mom comforted me so I switched allegiance right then and there and have rooted for the Packers ever since.

In 1998 I attended my first ever NFL game and watched the Packers beat Steve Young and the 49ers at Lambeau field. Brett threw 2 long bomb touchdowns that day and Reggie White sacked young 3 times himself while the rest of the Packers sacked him another 6 times. I paid $100 for an end zone seat and consider that one of my most cherished sports memories.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 AM
Board Icon

When I was in Vietnam I bet on the Packers and didn't even know who they were playing but I usually won.

No wonder Young retired after getting sacked that many times in a game.

There's a person on our local radio selling some Tix for the Seattle Game-Wish I could go-Wonder how they're gonna greet Holmgren this year :P
Old 08-16-2007, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe
Funny that you should bring that up. I follow the Seahawks but when I grew up the Seahawks weren't even on the drawing board. I don't think they came into existence until about 1978 or so.

My mom loved the Packers and my dad loved the Cowboys, he even bought me an all white football helmet and drew a star on the side of it. When I was about 8 (around 1967) the Cowboys and the Packers were playing on TV and my dad had me put on the helmet and sit with him and root for the Cowboys. My mom kept telling me to take off that ugly helmet and root for the team that was going to win. I sat with my dad and started crying when the Cowboys lost and my mom comforted me so I switched allegiance right then and there and have rooted for the Packers ever since.

In 1998 I attended my first ever NFL game and watched the Packers beat Steve Young and the 49ers at Lambeau field. Brett threw 2 long bomb touchdowns that day and Reggie White sacked young 3 times himself while the rest of the Packers sacked him another 6 times. I paid $100 for an end zone seat and consider that one of my most cherished sports memories.
8) I became a Packers fan way back in the 1960s when they had a guy named Lombardi as coach and Bart Starr as quarterback. I watched a game against the Cowboys played in what is known as the Frozen Tundra where the temperature was 15 below zero. The Cowboys were coached by the legendary Tom Landry, one of the best and greatest coaches to ever roam the sidelines. Back in those days with Landry you either behaved yourself on and off the field and gave 110 percent or you were gone, plain and simple. The same with Lombardi. 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:32 AM
Board Icon

I really liked and respected Landry and his players back then.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
The Cowboys were in their glory years with Landry. They had a guy named Staubach at QB and people like Dorsett in the backfield and people like Golden Richards and Billy Joe DuPree catching the pigskin. Back in those days they didn't need their own bail bondsman as Landry wouldn't put up with it. You either played your best on and off the field or you were gone! 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe

Ah yes, Reggie White, the Minister of Defense! Sure do miss him. :cry:
"Talk to me Goose".
Old 08-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
As much as I love my Cowboys, I hate to say it, but it's gone down hill, since those days. Yeah, Mr Jerry Jonesey boy has brought in some good coaches, won Super Bowls, and good teams, but we wont see those days again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
The Cowboys were in their glory years with Landry. They had a guy named Staubach at QB and people like Dorsett in the backfield and people like Golden Richards and Billy Joe DuPree catching the pigskin. Back in those days they didn't need their own bail bondsman as Landry wouldn't put up with it. You either played your best on and off the field or you were gone! 8)
Yes sir. Those were the Glory Days. I barely remember Staubach. I remember hearing my parents tell me that they called him, the dodger when the Cowboys were playing. I also have a memory of Drew Pearson. "Touchdown Tony". I remember his 99 yard touchdown run. Still hasnt been broke. I remember watching that on Monday Night Football. I know it was, because the only time that I could sit, and watch the whole game on Monday night, was when the Cowboys were playing. Dad would let me stay up past 9:00 when they played.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Board Icon