User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Winston was never like this as the title sponsor. Teams are already struggling to find full-time sponsor's and NASCAR is making it that much harder to find them by signing these stupid deals of exclusivity for certain sponsor's.
Winston did have exclusivity in thier contract,Skoal and the others got around it by using smokeless tobaco sponsorship.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Board Icon

Skoal and the others did not get around RJ Reynolds/Winston by using smokeless tobacco. RJ Reynolds was forced to introduce smokeless by the US govt. That same crackdown was what forced RJ Reynolds to get out of NASCAR and the NHRA.

Skoal, Copenhagen and Kodiak were chew only so the smokeless wouldn't even be up their alley since you don't smoke chew.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Skoal and the others did not get around RJ Reynolds/Winston by using smokeless tobacco. RJ Reynolds was forced to introduce smokeless by the US govt. That same crackdown was what forced RJ Reynolds to get out of NASCAR and the NHRA.

Skoal, Copenhagen and Kodiak were chew only so the smokeless wouldn't even be up their alley since you don't smoke chew.
You agree that Winston had exclusive rights as the only cigarette sponsor though right?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Board Icon

I would have to say yes, I reckon. They came in before my time so I have no idea. All I can remember is Winston sponsoring a car, Jimmy Spencer and Hut Stricklin in the #23 Smokin' Joe's car. Don't remember a Marlboro car out there though.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I would have to say yes, I reckon. They came in before my time so I have no idea. All I can remember is Winston sponsoring a car, Jimmy Spencer and Hut Stricklin in the #23 Smokin' Joe's car. Don't remember a Marlboro car out there though.
Yeah all I know is what alot of the host on Sirius Nascar radio say ,but I do remember that smokin Joe's car,wonder what the deal was there.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Board Icon

Smokin' Joe's was part of RJ Reynolds if I remember correctly. Could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. :wink: When Spencer was driving the car, he also had it decaled with Winston on it at times, particulary when they had the NO Bull races and stuff, and Joe Camel(a brand of RJ Reynolds) was also seen on it.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It's a pretty confusing Issue and I think NASCAR is putting it into the Wringer.
There are Federal Laws on the books about Monopolies.
My personal opinion is that NASCAR has grown so fast the past few years they're now stubbing their toes and if it keeps up they're going to start losing fans.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
There are Federal Laws on the books about Monopolies.
That is why Kentucky Speedway is suing NASCAR and ISC, to break up the monopoly. If they are going to do that though, they need to sue SMI and Bruton Smith also. Only Dover and Indy are independently owned. SMI and ISC own the rest of the Cup tracks.

I don't blame ISC for looking like a monopoly. Some of the tracks they have bought were not because they just had to have them but because the track simply could not operate no longer on their own. Martinsville is one that sold out. When Mr. Campbell died, he left the track to a trustee. She died not that long after and the family owned track had to sell because nobody else was in line to take it from what I read without going to court.