Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Sports Talk (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/sports-talk-21/)
-   -   NASCAR sued and loses (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/sports-talk/27017-nascar-sued-loses.html)

Mr. Ford95 05-18-2007 08:37 PM

NASCAR sued and loses

AT&T filed suit with NASCAR and won it's suit. The #31 Cingular car of Jeff Burton will have the AT&T logo emblazoned for the rest of the year starting in tomorrow night's All-Star race.

I had a good feeling this was a fight NASCAR would not win. It is not going to hurt Nextel/Sprint in the long run like NASCAR and Sprint kept piping about. The title is still going to be the Nextel Cup, the Series is still the Nextel Cup Series. Time for Shell or RCR to file suit over Harvick not being allowed to wear a helmet with a large Shell on it. Whatever happened to sponsor's like Winston and Unocal 76?? Oh wait....that's right, NASCAR went mainstream and all corporate. Get Brian France out and bring back racing the way it should be and used to be, un-coporated.

Jackrabbit379 05-18-2007 10:52 PM

Hmm. Weird. Is it because NEXTEL is the NASCAR sponser, and because AT&T is another phone company? I'm sorry, Mr. Ford, I'm not a moron, but it doesnt make sinse, filing the suit. Why didnt NASCAR just let Cingular change their decal logo back to AT&T without having to throw a fit?

Or, did I miss everything?(Im known for that at times) :?

Crash935 05-18-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Hmm. Weird. Is it because NEXTEL is the NASCAR sponser, and because AT&T is another phone company?

That was exactly the reason, NASCAR and Nextel had a contract tht said any wireless phone companies that were a sponsor prior to Nextel coming in could continue to be a sponsor, NASCAR was not to allow any new wireless sponsors while Nextel was the primary sponsor. Then AT&T bought Cingular and AT&T tried to put their logos on Burtons car, NASCAR said no to the wireless part of AT&T but they could put their other services on it and then the pissing match started followed by the lawsuit.

Jackrabbit379 05-18-2007 11:17 PM

Ok. I see. I was thinking that, but wasnt sure.

Mr. Ford95 05-19-2007 11:36 AM

The problem was, Nextel was bought by Sprint. That should mean that the contract Nextel signed with NASCAR is null and void. If your going to allow the title sponsor to change names, then you have to allow the others to change names at least once also.

It's sad we have sponsor's in NASCAR that are crybags. Winston was never like this as the title sponsor. Teams are already struggling to find full-time sponsor's and NASCAR is making it that much harder to find them by signing these stupid deals of exclusivity for certain sponsor's. Ok, they are the official sponsor, whatever. Don't be limiting other sponsor's though, fans already know who the official one's are and won't forget it. Nextel/Sprint is just too naive, people will use them if they have great service, if they do not, people will not use them. Stop holding other NASCAR sponsor's as the reason to your failures and shortcomings as a company.

thebaldeagle655 05-19-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
The problem was, Nextel was bought by Sprint. That should mean that the contract Nextel signed with NASCAR is null and void. If your going to allow the title sponsor to change names, then you have to allow the others to change names at least once also.

Wrong, When Nextel signed the contract they were smart enough to include a clause allowing them 1 rename in the contract.

I knid of feel that NASCAR "fought" the lawsuit jus tenough to make a show of good faith to NEXTEL. NEXTEL is paying 75 million a year for 10 years to be the "Exclusive Wireless Provider of Nascar" and in their contract for this AT&T was specifically listed as a forbidden sponsor of any future NEXTEL Cup team/car.

I can see why they would not want to spend 750 million and not get the max for their money but I can also see why NASCAR wants AT&T's money too!

Also, we can bet we have not seen the last of the lawsuits on this one!

Jackrabbit379 05-19-2007 08:13 PM

Crazy stuff. Bring back The Winston Cup. :P

Mr. Ford95 05-19-2007 09:12 PM

Haven't heard for sure, but NASCAR had filed an emergency motion to not allow Burton's car to be changed over to AT&T for tonight's race. If it was granted, then Burton's car will either still show Cingular or will be blank.

Quote:

the "Exclusive Wireless Provider of Nascar"
Bald, that is the thing, AT&T can simply say, we want on the car for our Home service not our Wireless. NASCAR cannot say no to that without being sued and losing. NASCAR allowed Shell into the show because they are not there for their gasoline(which would have pissed off Sunoco and violated that contract.) Shell wanted in for their lubes and got in. Motorola will be the next one to sue if they still want on Robby Gordon's car. They do not offer Wireless Service, just phones. They are Nextel's primary phone source yet Nextel told NASCAR they were not allowed in per the contract. :?:

Mr. Ford95 05-19-2007 10:06 PM

Ok, word is in. Nextel is not planning to sue NASCAR. They are instead going to join NASCAR in their fight against AT&T. The injuction NASCAR filed this morning was not granted so AT&T will be on Burton's car tonight. NASCAR instead filed another motion higher up in the court's that won't be heard until mid-week this week. If NASCAR somehow wins AT&T will be off Burton's car for the Coke 600.

Whew, what a mess. Stop the bickering and let'em race, NASCAR is more enjoyable that way.

Jackrabbit379 05-20-2007 12:55 AM

That's dumb. Just race, and let everyone use who they want to use as their cell phone provider. :P