LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
they should just require the 48 hour restart and stop trying to hide it
I don't think they are trying to HIDE it. I think they are trying to "fight" it. PLEASE give me more details on your start/stop times for the first part of the week. If you start on Tuesday ?morning? and work three 14 hour days, you would still have 28 hours left to pull two more shifts on Sat and Sun. That's 5 - 14 hour shifts. I know this doesn't match your schedule, which is why I ASKED for for more details.

You're an O/O aren't you? So... YOU are the company and dispatcher I've been talking about? Again... I defer to the obvious experience y'all have in your specific niches as truckers. I am just trying to LEARN how these regs could affect the MANY individual situations that different truckers and companies might encounter.

It's like a puzzle that I want to solve. I'm not real good at puzzles, but... I'm good with numbers and regs. Since I've driven team MOST of my career, MOST of these regs and restrictions have never affected me. But, I have driven SOLO a few times, and so I HAVE had to deal with some of the problems (without the benefit of the practice most of y'all get every day!)

Please help me by treating me like an idiot! :lol: That shouldn't be too hard for SOME of you.

Seriously... if you can't formulate your objections HERE... on CAD... and pass MY test, you will never be able to influence the FMCSA with your "valid" concerns. And if you don't do THAT... things will never change in your favor. You will have to LIVE with the rules they pass.... and just continue to complain and blame Obama! :lol:

I really DO want to KNOW.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I don't like the 30-minute break thing. When I start my day, I like to run hard and then get my dinner and such. The 34hr thing won't bother me either, since I generally don't do 34's on the road anyway.

I'll continue to at least try to stick with driving 8.5 hrs or so per day. That way I don't have to worry whatsoever about doing restarts anyway.
So... you'll "continue" to run HARD for 8.5 hours a day and bitch about having to take a 30 minute break? Okay.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

PLEASE give me more details on your start/stop times for the first part of the week.

There is the whole problem for me, my start times are always different depending on where I am going, sometimes it's in the morning, sometimes, it's at night, sometimes it's when ever I feel like it, if my start times vary, then I my end times will vary also, but like with everything else they have thrown at us, I will learn to deal with it.
and by the way, I dont blame Obama, he is just a patsy for the large corporations just like all of the other presidents, now if you will excuse me, I have to go schedule my sleep apnea study because I am 30 pounds overweight
Old 01-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't like the 30-minute break thing. When I start my day, I like to run hard and then get my dinner and such. The 34hr thing won't bother me either, since I generally don't do 34's on the road anyway.
Wow... you are a better at this than I am. I have to stop at least once to take a squirt.. I don't have a 5 gallon bladder and I don't want to develop kidney stones. Maybe at the same time, grab a sandwich. Might also just go ahead and transflo a bill from my last drop. Might also do a check quick online on my iPhone and see about the cheapest fuel prices along my run while I am stopped. Oh..... all of this and I just got in my 30 min mandatory break. Wasn't that easy?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Senior Board Member

It takes you 30 minutes to do all that?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
I'll continue to at least try to stick with driving 8.5 hrs or so per day. That way I don't have to worry whatsoever about doing restarts anyway.
Thought you said you're driving for CELADON... Think they'll go along with that idea???

Think about it guys. The knowledge base of those that make up the rules is about as good as the bunch that referred to the "UN-CASTRATED COWS". You've got the same thing as a bunch of single-engine Cessna pilots trying to tell NASA how to fly the shuttle missions..... Ok, make that the LUNAR PROBES.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Not really, but this little example was just to show that 30 minutes somewhere before the 8th hr of driving is not that big of a deal. Most folks can easily find a way to make that 30 minutes work in their favor if they just use their brains a little. It can be a productive use of one's time that would have been used somewhere else anyway. Also, that 30 minutes can be folded into one of those 2 hr splits that some of us use to our advantage in some situations. In no way is this to construe that I agree with FMCSA logic. Quite the contrary. Instead of just pitching a fit and crying in my beer, I am just looking for ways to make the rules work favorably in my operation. I will.

I guess some will continue to curse at the darkness, while some of us will light a candle.

Last edited by Copperhead; 01-15-2012 at 11:55 PM.